Double figure trout, singular and plural.

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Double figure trout, singular and plural.

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 pm

I decided to fish Llandegla again hoping that falling levels and clearing waters would put the fish on the feed. I was confident on the drive down, the sun was out which was gently warming the cold waters encouraging insect activity, the sun does put the fish down but it was forecast to turn overcast and then start raining, best of both worlds :dance:

On the way down I decided that from now on I'd go out my way to target the ponds brown trout and bigger rainbows by fishing lower and slower than normal instead of just targeting stockies which, while it puts a healthy bend in the rod just gets repetitive and doesn't really yield any impressive results.

The first hour was painfully slow, there was no signs of fish across the ponds, nobody was catching. Then the place came alight, fish where all of a sudden topping and the lads at the bottom end started catching the small stockies. I caught a trout of two pound and as quick as they came they went.

I plodded on switching between flies but I was committed to fishing the bottom foot of water, then bang fish on, netted and released, next cast fish on, netted and released, next cast fish on, flash of brown, did I just see that or was I dreaming? No it was definitely brown and while it was small I proceeded to playthe fish with great caution. Instead of running in random directions like a rainbow this fish had a sense of direction, weed beds, no doubt one of the best fights I've ever had off a 1lb fish. When I slipped the net under its body I was so relieved and so happy, it was only small but perfect in every way.

I fished on hoping for better, I was catching regular enough to maintain interest but my hands where frozen and the rain was really pouring down and the idea of leaving early was certainly being entertained in my mind. I fished on and the rod locked solid, I could feel powerful head shakes down the line and it was clearly a big fish. My immediate thought was oops I'm going to need a bigger net. Then I realised I was fishing a 6lb leader and all of a sudden the net was the least of my worries. The fish took the free line and was soon being played on the reel. It was a struggle to fight the fish with cold hands, lifting the rod tip up was difficult as my wrist was so cold it didn't want to lock up with the rod but a few hairy minutes later she was swimming around under the rod tip and then the net the fish game began. It didn't take to kindly to the net and it took a few failed head and shoulders attempts to get her in but there she was all 10lb 8 oz of her. Yesssss :dance:

That was fish number 8 and it really couldn't have got any better but I thought It would really top the session off if I could get into double figure numbers of fish. Number 9 came and then number 10 graced the net. Job done. Llandeglas first brownie and double of the year, the owner said only a few brownies come out each year and that very few anglers have managed a brown and a double in one session there so I'm over the moon.

A question remains though, will it ruin future trips to Llandegla? It's unlikely I will ever better that session so am I best finding pastures new?

One thing is for sure though.... It's a session I won't ever forget.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Double figure trout, singular and plural.

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Great session Shaun. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Well done once again mate, that's a monster rainbow! :clap: :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Superb work Shaun :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kev

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Great result Shaun, well done :clap: :clap:

Ozzie
I never smile !

Postby Ozzie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:42 am

Well done that is a nice double rainbow pity the brownies don't grow as big

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:34 am

Belting result Shaun :clap: :clap:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse Eel Bass

Greg Barratt
Headless Angler

Postby Greg Barratt » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:45 am

Well in, that's a fine fish.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Greg

If hopes and wishes turned into fishes....

2016 species:(15)
Starry Smoothhound, Thornback Ray, Black Bream, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Codling, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Dab, 3b Rockling, Dragonet, LSD, Silver Eel, Lobster, Starfish

Shacky
Team BLAS

Postby Shacky » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:47 am

:clap: Well done Shaun :thumbsup: Fish of a lifetime :dance: Plus superb session, excellent pictures :wave:
2017 Species Hunt....Dab, Whiting, Rockling, Plaice, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Tope, Sole, Tub Gurnard, Turbot.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:58 am

Well in Shaun, beltin fish that :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:33 pm

Nice one Shaun :clap: :clap:

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:23 pm

have a little go at mere brow in southport , heard good things about it sweet cheeks
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

Return to “StillWater Reports”