31/07/11..Rawcliffe

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
Shacky
Team BLAS

31/07/11..Rawcliffe

Postby Shacky » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:46 pm

This was my second adventure of the season fishing a BLAS freshwater match. I met up with the competition in rawcliffe's car park, had a bit of a chat, paid my dues and drew peg 26. Bobc was looking a bit worried, he couldn't find his gate key :roll:

The draw was soon completed and we made our way to our pegs..

At peg 26 there was the option to fish against the island or go for open water..

With a clear view to the other side of the lake..

Looking right towards the far island..

and the island you see as you enter the fishery..

Today i had decided to leave my pole at home and decided on two methods. First, was a splash-waggler fished on a greys x-flite barbel rod with a 1.75lb test curve. Paired with a daiwa bait runner reel..

Second, was my trusty garbolino squad feeder rod, also paired with a daiwa reel..

Bait for the day was pellets and plenty of them. Mainly 8mm, which would be used on a size 10 banded hook to 8lb hook-length...

The "all in" was called and i proceded with the splash-waggler, feeding plenty of pellets. It took about 30 minutes to get my first bite, which shot across the lake and then spat the hook as it neared the side :(
After an hour i managed to land my first, a fine mirror of about 8lbs..

The match seemed to drag on, bites were very few on the ground for everyone. Two hours had gone by and i decided to employ the feeder rod. I had been baiting near the island from the off, so my cage feeder headed in that direction...

Half an hour of nothingness passed by, a chuck to the middle of the lake produced zilch. Things were looking grim :(
After an hour i gave that idea up and returned to my first option. As soon as my float hit the water a carp had itself hooked and headed off round the island. Needless to say, the hooklength parted.
I catapulted more pellets in, as i attached a new hook, cast in and away it went. I was determined not to let this one go and gave it some stick. Soon enough i had my second in the net..

I continued with this method for most of the match, but all had gone quiet again and i sat watching the red blob in the water..

With 45 minutes left, i had another try on the feeder and connected with a carp. That didn't last long either the hook parted.
30 minutes to go, back on the splash-waggler and hammer the bait in, i was feeding masses and it paid off. Another mirror was netted..

Next cast and another line breaker :( I set up a new hook quickly and my float just hit the water and was away. This time a leather was mine...

The match seemed to end as the fish were getting in the mood...That's Life !

I managed to get a couple of pics from the weigh in, though Bob caught most...

Here is trevor bentley with second place. Though he should have won. I won't tell you what Kammy called him :roll:

John the owner of Blackpool Angling Centre and BLAS sponsor with his best carp..

Humpalumpa man (Phil Wilson) won the the match with 4 good carp for over 33lbs. Well Done 8) He was my next door neighbour today ;)

Me?, I managed third place with four carp for 27lb 12oz.

A great day, enjoyed myself and will be back for more 8)

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: 31/07/11..Rawcliffe

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Great stuff Shacky. :clap: :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:37 am

great stuff mate :D
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 am

Good stuff Shacky laaaaaaaaaaaaaa....nice looking water :clap:
winter fishing sucks

Ozzie
I never smile !

Postby Ozzie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:11 pm

I continued with this method for most of the match, but all had gone quiet again and i sat watching the red blob in the water..
Which reminded me of Sparky being stuck on a sand bank :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Well done on the fish Shacky nice report :) :) :)

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Ozzie wrote:I continued with this method for most of the match, but all had gone quiet again and i sat watching the red blob in the water..

you need to keep constantly feeding, (just a couple of pellets) every 20-30 seconds, and keep casting,casting casting, for it to work properly you need to keep busy

sometimes its best to feed and then cast,straight over the top, other times its best to cast and feed over the top, you just need to experiment on the day, but near constant,accurate feeding and casting is the order of the day
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

tonylfc
Ray Master

Postby tonylfc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:31 am

Fab read Shacky, and well done on your fishies :D :D :D :D :D :D
2008 Specimen League Winner.

Return to “StillWater Reports”