Hard work pays at the end.

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
Springbok
AKA Edgar Hansen

Hard work pays at the end.

Postby Springbok » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Due to work I could not make it down to the coast this weekend, shame really as I had loads of fresh bait that will now turn into fresh frozen bait.
As I had a thew hours to kill I decided to give one of my local waters a go, there is some real prizes in there but as the lake has been neglected for many years access can be difficult, the good thing about that is, is that not many folk can fish it and it's basically a virgin water from an anglers point of view, talked to the new bailiff and the future of this water seem to be going in the right direction.

So all sooted and booted and off I went, I had to wade through a channel about 5 foot deep to get to the island.
You can see here that it's not the easiest terrain and with all the trees and branches it's also not the fluff chucker's first choice of location but with all the fishy looking swims it's got to be a wise move.

My weapon of choice was a red and white marabou with a zonker strip and some pearl flash on a size 5/0 hook that I tie myself.

As you can see on this photo, casting is very restricted, never mind casting with a fly rod, but I am a determent little **** and kept trying and trying. After removing and unpicking my fly from the surrounding trees and reeds for the gazilionth time I decided a change in plan is required.

As I stood there thinking up a new plan this swan came over to say "hello" I thought to myself if only this bird could talk it could tell me where all the fish are in the lake as it got an birds eye view.

With the "birds eye view" thought in mind, I decided to climb a tree and do some aerial reconnaissance, one word of warning tho, Waders do not come with the best climbing boots, so unless you have good medical insurance it's a tactic best avoided.

After scouting from the air and satisfied with the intelligence I went on an amphibious assault.

And what do you know, a thew wet moments later and a managed to pul a 5lb 1oz pike onto the bank.

Well, it was long session that was not easy, but I have generated some knowledge that will be valuable for future sessions to come.
A lovely lake, with some nice scenery, that is if you don't mind the occasional fridge or window frame floating about.

All the best, Chris.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Hard work pays at the end.

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Great effort Chris. 8) :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

mal wynne
Obsessed Poster

Postby mal wynne » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:00 pm

top report that mate , was with you all the way , theres nowt to beat the satisfaction of a hard won fish .,. :clap: :)

stuartmcnair
The Original Armchair

Postby stuartmcnair » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Great report and some cracking pictures
Stu .....Turbot King
Check out my weblog at: http://seafishingandwalking.co.uk

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

tonylfc
Ray Master

Postby tonylfc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Fab Piccies there matey :D :D :D :D
2008 Specimen League Winner.

joeNeal_71
Obsessed Poster

Postby joeNeal_71 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Chris, it's real good to see you truly are a determent little ****. No way would you have nailed that pikey without pouring all that hard effort in, well done indeed matey :clap:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Crackin pics Chris :clap:
winter fishing sucks

Return to “StillWater Reports”