Pike on the Fly

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
graylinghunter
The Rockling Hunter

Pike on the Fly

Postby graylinghunter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 pm

With recent flooding on the Dee it was time to get the fly rod out in search of Pike..
The Day started quite chilly with frost on the car, but by the time I had reached my venue the sun had come out.
I choose a 10wt fly rod with a shooting head..
For the fly a large red and white bunny Zonker...
It amazing how difficult casting distance becomes with these large flies.
I spent the first Few hours wading the margins
of a very large water I had never fished before, carefully working the margins and swapping between a wake style fly and my zonker. The hours past and my confidence in the day was beginning to falter.
Was the fly right was the color in the water making it difficult for the pike to see my Fly..
It a new venue perhaps it was now a poor reflection of what it once was reputed to be???
As I was about to give up and head for home counting my last casts the line tightened and began to pull away.
To my surprise the fish fought very hard and considering I was using a 10wt rod it didn't come in that easily giving a tremendous
account of its self pulling and plunging back to the depths with each run..
Est weight about 7lbs

Photos taken with my mobile.....

tight lines
Phil
knowledge is power
Team www.graylinghunter.co.uk

scoobysti
Super Poster

Re: Pike on the Fly

Postby scoobysti » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:04 pm

top effort :clap:

stuartmcnair
The Original Armchair

Postby stuartmcnair » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Brilliant - well done
Stu .....Turbot King
Check out my weblog at: http://seafishingandwalking.co.uk

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

thomper76
Super Poster

Postby thomper76 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm

well done great effort love the pics :clap:

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Great effort! 8) 8)

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Well in Phil, nice fish there. Love that Big Beach mate, it won me a match on saturday night. Had a few cast with it, cant wait to get it on the field!

graylinghunter
The Rockling Hunter

Postby graylinghunter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Glad you like the rod Trishy especially as it earned its keep.... :D
knowledge is power

muzz
The Punisher

Postby muzz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Cracking result. Don't have a clue what your on about with margins etc but a crakin read.

I got my zonker out of my fly today but for different reasons :0:

Well Done on the Pike

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

great stuff :D
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

Springbok
AKA Edgar Hansen

Postby Springbok » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:42 am

Good effort.

Early in December I bought some fish bait in bulk for a few pike sessions, 2 days later all the lakes and canals around here froze solid for weeks :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking of dusting my little trout rod of and have a go at some pike but I dint know if my 5/6wt will be enough, I know Illl have a problem with the big flies but the rod itself I think will handle pretty much anything swimming around here, any tips?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:45 am

Top man. 8)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

graylinghunter
The Rockling Hunter

Postby graylinghunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:36 am

Springbok wrote:Good effort.

Early in December I bought some fish bait in bulk for a few pike sessions, 2 days later all the lakes and canals around here froze solid for weeks :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking of dusting my little trout rod of and have a go at some pike but I dint know if my 5/6wt will be enough, I know Illl have a problem with the big flies but the rod itself I think will handle pretty much anything swimming around here, any tips?

You need a 7/8 rod minimum, but why nots treat yourself to...

A Shakespeare atlantis 9 foot wt 10 it can be had for less than £60 new and a cheap mill end second WF floating line £5.00.
And any large reel..
The fly rod can be used for saltwater fly fishing too..
I picked up my pike fly gear second hand rod reel two lines for less than £60.

Flies are easy to make A size 2 Aberdeen and load of flashy strips.. Dont go paying £4 a fly.....

alternatively keep the flies small and use your 5/6 to target canal perch you may still get the odd jack pike....
knowledge is power

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 am

Lovely looking fish.
Catching on a fly rod certainly adds a new dimension. Last year i was lucky enough to get a couple of small school bass up on the Lleyn and they were good sport. That pike must have taken what seemed like an age to land.
Well done

Springbok
AKA Edgar Hansen

Postby Springbok » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:31 am

graylinghunter wrote:You need a 7/8 rod minimum, but why nots treat yourself to...

A Shakespeare atlantis 9 foot wt 10 it can be had for less than £60 new and a cheap mill end second WF floating line £5.00.
And any large reel..

Flies are easy to make A size 2 Aberdeen and load of flashy strips.. Dont go paying £4 a fly.....

alternatively keep the flies small and use your 5/6 to target canal perch you may still get the odd jack pike....

Yea thanks, I might consider getting a little bigger rod to aid casting larger flies especially once they have had a dunk, i have had carp to 20lb on my 5/6wt rod but it's a very expensive rod but of course there is no need for a big fly for that , and pike do seem like a little weak if played to long so stiffer rod should do the trick.

I grew up on a trout farm so am not new to the fly tying side of things, I have loads of big flies for freshwater Bass and lots of flashy saltwater flies I used for gamefish might dig them out to.

Any colours that you find thats particular good for the pike and what retrieve do you recommend, a slow to medium or do they like it fast?

graylinghunter
The Rockling Hunter

Postby graylinghunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 am

Springbok wrote:
graylinghunter wrote:You need a 7/8 rod minimum, but why nots treat yourself to...

And any large reel..

Yea thanks, I might consider getting a little bigger rod to aid casting larger flies especially once they have had a dunk, i have had carp to 20lb on my 5/6wt rod but it's a very expensive rod but of course there is no need for a big fly for that , and pike do seem like a little weak if played to long so stiffer rod should do the trick.

I grew up on a trout farm so am not new to the fly tying side of things, I have loads of big flies for freshwater Bass and lots of flashy saltwater flies I used for gamefish might dig them out to.

Any colours that you find thats particular good for the pike and what retrieve do you recommend, a slow to medium or do they like it fast?

Red/white Zonker and olive heavy chain eyes.
very slow..twitch enough to lift up in the water column and allow to drop. Zonker strips but i am looking for alternative but love the way bunny fur strips moves in the water...
ps which trout farm????
knowledge is power

Return to “StillWater Reports”