Pike on the Fly

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
Springbok
AKA Edgar Hansen

Re: Pike on the Fly

Postby Springbok » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:07 am

graylinghunter wrote:
Springbok wrote:
graylinghunter wrote:You need a 7/8 rod minimum, but why nots treat yourself to...

A Shakespeare atlantis 9 foot wt 10 it can be had for less than £60 new and a cheap mill end second WF floating line £5.00.
And any large reel..
The fly rod can be used for saltwater fly fishing too..
I picked up my pike fly gear second hand rod reel two lines for less than £60.

Flies are easy to make A size 2 Aberdeen and load of flashy strips.. Dont go paying £4 a fly.....

alternatively keep the flies small and use your 5/6 to target canal perch you may still get the odd jack pike....

Yea thanks, I might consider getting a little bigger rod to aid casting larger flies especially once they have had a dunk, i have had carp to 20lb on my 5/6wt rod but it's a very expensive rod but of course there is no need for a big fly for that , and pike do seem like a little weak if played to long so stiffer rod should do the trick.

I grew up on a trout farm so am not new to the fly tying side of things, I have loads of big flies for freshwater Bass and lots of flashy saltwater flies I used for gamefish might dig them out to.

Any colours that you find thats particular good for the pike and what retrieve do you recommend, a slow to medium or do they like it fast?

Red/white Zonker and olive heavy chain eyes.
very slow..twitch enough to lift up in the water column and allow to drop. Zonker strips but i am looking for alternative but love the way bunny fur strips moves in the water...
ps which trout farm????

It was in South Africa in a small town called Machadodorp between Dullstroom and Belfast.

barney
Obsessed Poster

Postby barney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 am

Nice to hear from you Phil,,,,good fish,well in :D
On the Internet you can be anything you want,,,,why do so many people choose to be idiots.

graylinghunter
The Rockling Hunter

Postby graylinghunter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:26 pm

barney wrote:Nice to hear from you Phil,,,,good fish,well in :D

Hi Chris
To be honest I wasn't much good at sea fishing with Bait sort of give up on that but predator species on the fly is another matter..
Its just a shame smoothhounds don't take a fly.......imagine one of those on really light tackle.......
That would be some fun...../

I will keep posting and hopefully in a month or two post some bass on the fly and the mullet....
knowledge is power
Team www.graylinghunter.co.uk

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm

graylinghunter wrote:
barney wrote:Nice to hear from you Phil,,,,good fish,well in :D

Hi Chris
To be honest I wasn't much good at sea fishing with Bait sort of give up on that but predator species on the fly is another matter..
Its just a shame smoothhounds don't take a fly.......imagine one of those on really light tackle.......
That would be some fun...../

I will keep posting and hopefully in a month or two post some bass on the fly and the mullet....

Come on Phil surely you can dress a fly to look like a crab :lol: :lol: All my attempts at fly tying ended up looking like crabs :lol: but not always the seaside type. :shock: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

peter
Regular Poster

Postby peter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:19 pm

sweet fish well done! 8)

Return to “StillWater Reports”