Penmon point

If you are planning a fishing trip, then let us know the venue and the time, even add meeting place for others to catch up with you.

Moderator: John Petersen

andybass
Regular Poster

Penmon point

Postby andybass » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Good evening fellow sea anglers. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this forum or even fished for that matter my job and personal problems meant that something had to unfortunately give and fishing was that. However I’m back in a frame of mind where I want to go fishing, to the point it’s all I’m talking about. I’m planning on fishing at penmon point by the fish farm with my uncle this Wednesday he’s fished there once before and caught two decent wrasse and a couple of pollock however I can only find limited information on the mark in question. Any information will be greatly appreciated in helping me get back into sea angling.

Tightlines
northwestseaangler.blogspot.com

Yaffle

Re: Penmon point

Postby Yaffle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:10 am

High on the 18th is 15.45pm.

Not ideal for Pemnon - considered better at Low. Does it have to be Pemnon? Access issues etc. I can think of better places close by if access isn't an issue - Caim and White beach for starters

But if it has to be the fish farm its snaggy for bottom fishing, a float off the rocks may be your best bet or perhaps a bit of lure fishing.

I personally wouldn't bother unless I could get out toward the lighthouse area @ low up.

andybass
Regular Poster

Postby andybass » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:44 am

Access wouldn’t be an issue. Because of a lack of information on a this particular mark it doesn’t appeal to me to fish at Penmon point. I know other marks on the island can throw up bull Huss which is what I would like to catch. But at this stage a fish is a fish.

Yaffle

Postby Yaffle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

I'd give Pemnon a miss then, in particular by the fish farm.

West side is probs better for a huss, but its been a bit calm plus night is better.

Caim is always a good bet and close to Pemnon - nice and deep and I'd be very surprised if you didn't catch some Wrasse, Pollock and Maccie at the very least - do you know it?

andybass
Regular Poster

Postby andybass » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Yaffle wrote:I'd give Pemnon a miss then, in particular by the fish farm.

West side is probs better for a huss, but its been a bit calm plus night is better.

Caim is always a good bet and close to Pemnon - nice and deep and I'd be very surprised if you didn't catch some Wrasse, Pollock and Maccie at the very least - do you know it?

Oh thank you. I’m taking a novice with me too. She has lure fished for pike and has already caught she can cast pretty well too. Would them marks be ideal for a newcomer to sea angling?

Yaffle

Postby Yaffle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Apart from the walk, both White Beach and Caim are really nice spots - WB is a bit snaggy on 2 of the 3 spots and the 2nd and 3rd are a bit a pain to get to, so if taking a newbie I'd say skip there.

Caim is really easy/comfortable to fish and more or less guaranteed to catch this time of year on lures or that matter any other method, I normally take standard bottom tackle, float, light and heavy lure stuff. So I'd say Caim for that area and fits nicely for poppin into Malcs for bait etc beforehand.

Thats probs why I moan about Caim nowadays being 50 yrs old and unfit - easy walk to the mark but a slight incline back and a I take enough stuff to warrant taking a mule!

Return to “Fishing Sessions”