Another North Wales adventure...

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

prawnster
Regular Prawn

Another North Wales adventure...

Postby prawnster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:40 am

A very last minute decision saw me picking the Three Legged Cat up at 8am on Saturday morning and us heading off down the A55 toward Pwhelli.

A couple of pit stops along the way... first one for Mcbreakfast and diesel, then the hell that is Pwhelli Asda - never again, a visit to the local tackle shop to stock up on bait and rigs and the most important one... a couple of meat a potato pies for lunch :D

Having never fished Pwhelli (and being a bloke - maps are for girls!), we (I) missed the turn for the beach and took a little detour in the direction of Abersoch... eventually logic kicked in and we followed signs for the lifeboat station - obviously had to be near the sea we figured :roll:

When we arrived on the beach we had a quick chat with a guy there, he'd already had a few bream, a little further along the beach we found Middo and little Jack who'd just started fishing and first cast, Jack dragged a nice little bass up the shingle - what a promising start we thought and tackled up with a degree of urgency :D :D :D :D

The rest of our tourist party arrived duly, Flanagan and Jeff (and Mrs Jeff) and soon there were five of us all fishing in a row. Between us, nobody had thought to check a tide table, but we guessed that it must be about high water as there wasn't a great deal of beach behind us!

A lovely sunny day with a little breeze coming off the sea, only downer was the amount of weed we had to contend with, particularly on short casts... for anyone intending to visit there, get your rod tip up as high as possible, that seemed to be the best way to limit the stuff.

Baits were a mixed and varied selection, mackerel, rag, lug, sandeel, squid and we tried many combos on our three hook flappers.

Middo and I were having a bit of friendly banter over the Specimen Hunt, we both needed a bream for our tally so the competition was hot... I was first in on my little sandeel section - grinning from ear to ear reeling it in
My first ever black bream :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

About 20 minutes later I noticed that my line had gone completely slack, was it weed or could it possibly be... yes it was, another one this time bit bigger came flapping through the surf... 2-0 8)

Quick as a flash I was rebaited and back in the water, this time - ringing the changes I'd switched to a little "squid roll", roughly the size of a ciggy butt whipped on securely with bait elastic... guess what, yep, me again - this time a double header 8) My fishing colleagues were now studying my rig, bait, line, reel, butty box, laces in my boots... anything to give a clue as to what I was doing. To be honest, nothing different from them at all, although I was casting out as far as I could manage... must have been nearly 40 yards :D :D :D

In the meantime, Middo had managed to snare a little wrasse... and a ton of weed then, much to his delight, this little fellow took a liking to his mackerel strip... does he look pleased to you - or is it relief on his face :D

Just to stamp my authority on the situation, another slack liner resulted in this little cracker, 3/4lb and beautiful eating.

Jeff managed to land this beast which Middo duly bagged, crabs legs for supper :D

The lads packed up around 4.30 to head off to their evening match leaving me and the Cat deciding on whether to stay or to move on to another venue. We decided that an assault on Trefor Pier may bring a bull huss to the tally so around 5ish we reeled in to pack up and head back down the coast... I wonder how long these little fellas had been hanging on the the Cats hooks? :shock: 8) :D :D :D
What a great way to avoid the blankety blank... Eh Richie? :D Oh yes, I remember now, you were only taking the new motor for a run out, catching fish wasn't really on the agenda for the day :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another little pit-stop - butties and a drink 8) - and we hit the pier at Trefor. Unfortunately bang on low water, we had to hang around for an hour or so until it was fishable... I hadn't been drinking - honest, but you could easily be mistaken :?

As the flood tide started to fill the Cat was first in with this little chap... we're not 100% sure on id - is it a ballan or a corkwing?

I snagged a couple of dogs before the sun went down and along with it the temperature... didn't bother me (rhino skin) but the Cats only got thin fur and was starting to shiver by this time - even with her usual 25 layers :lol: :lol: :lol: anyway, she shivered all the way to the chippy were we finished the trip with a sausage dinner. Did Caernarfon back to Heswall in an hour on empty roads 8)

Prawnster and The Cat :D
2009 Specimen Hunt Winner 8-) ... 2012 Team Prawn Crackers 8-)

Ozzie
I never smile !

Postby Ozzie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:49 am

Crackin report there Prawnster well done on the Bream to you all.

ColinW
Obsessed Poster

Postby ColinW » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:54 am

I think the black spot in front of the tail means Corkwing.

Tight Lines
I Store My Nuts !

Postby Tight Lines » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Brilliant session and great report and pics. Nice one :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013 -Dab, Whiting

DaveW
Aka Steven Spielberg

Postby DaveW » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 pm

ColinW wrote:I think the black spot in front of the tail means Corkwing.

Spot on Col ;) , Yup its a Corkwing Wrasse good sized one and all,
Well done on the black bream also ;)

mark
Obsessed Poster

Postby mark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Great report,tasty bream :thumbsup:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Crackin report Prawnster laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 8)
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss.....smut.....Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

alf - big al
Obsessed Poster

Postby alf - big al » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:31 pm

great report and pics, well done prawn and cat ;)
you will have to pm me when your next coming to wales so we can meet up with you guys
2010 species. codling whiting 3b rockling dab eel

moan it in mid
Les Dawson

Postby moan it in mid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:44 pm

great pics and report shaun :D ;)
the real starry and common boat king
If you want me - I am on the bank !!! :-)

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Great report and pics Shaun. 8)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Bens dad

Postby Bens dad » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:49 pm

good effort chaps/chapesses

Trefor looks really tired these days.

flanagan
Obsessed Poster

Postby flanagan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:23 pm

well done all :D hasbeens rule :!: :?: :idea: wrong rig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Well done. Makes me very jealous. I had high hopes of my 1st bream and travelled all that way to blank. :(
Even Mindless Violence Seems Boring Today.

Species caught this year:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

davinski
Willy Wonka but needs a Humpalumpa

Postby davinski » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Top marks Prawnster.
:) :) :)
Loved pic 6. Trying to shield it's eyes from the sun.
Good report :) :) :) :)
Sea fishermen are born honest. But they soon get over it.

Lovin Isozuri
Just call me Taro

Postby Lovin Isozuri » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Wel in Shaun and Cat for the bream!!!!! 8) Crackin report and photos as usual!!! ;)
2011 Speices: Codling, Whiting, Bass, Dogfish, Dab

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”