bull bay 1/2 dec

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Psychocabbie
Obsessed Poster

bull bay 1/2 dec

Postby Psychocabbie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:52 pm

Set off to the island of Anglesey on saturday as is so often the norm for me and Thomas (my son) these days.

Called in to see Gaz and Chris at the F4U shop for a few supplies and a bit of a chinwag, and to wander around the "all new" shop layout (yet again)

Soon we were on our way to Bull Bay, as the winds, although forecast Gale Force 8, were SW to WSW, so Figured he Flat Rocks to be a good choice for shelter, and because we are familiar with the venue.

Target for the night was only one thing - a big conger!!

After a brief while fishing we decided the mark was calm enough to warrant bringing down the cooker and food for our midnight munchies, so i popped back for the stuff to be met by Owen2Dogs from the F4U forum, looking for the flat rocks (what a small world it is!!).

After inviting him to join us, we then started fishing properly. (well at least we looked like we were - the fish didn't realise it yet though)
First in was Owen with a nice little 3B Rockling (how on earth did that take such a big bait / hook ?!?).
Next up was Thomas' turn with a little strappy.

I then managed to lose something.... gonna be one of them nights i guess...

Sadly Owen didn't stay too long (maybe he had more sense!) and soon there was just the two of us.

a little while later i had another bite and was rewarded with something i REALLY didn't want.....

Thomas had his 8/0 nailed by this monster a bit later...

and promptly followed it up with this baby...

Things are looking up i thought. I had a succession of good bites that just didn't materialise into fish, and joking to thomas after missing another i said "He'll go for yours now, and you'll bag my fish again"

Suddenly thomas was on his feet shouting "Dad i got a monster on" and looking at the bend in his rod, he wasn't lying either. eventually the fish surfaced, and was a decent conger i would genuinely estimate to be around the 15lb mark. As i got hold of the trace to pull it up i was impressed by the size of it, and just as i was ready to lift it using the swell to assist me, there was that horrid, sickening feeling of the trace snapping.

Thomas' fish of the year was gone. I felt sick for him, i truly did, and he was shaking from the event.

That's fishing i suppose, but he's worked so hard, and put so much effort into the sport i felt he deserved it.

After that it was all downhill, with only 1 decent whiting for thomas to show.

Despite a ton of missed bites we never managed any more fish.
The heavens opened at about 4am, and by 5am we were packed up and cooking breakfast in the back of the car before we set off on a really wet and windy journey home.

Thomas, we'll be back, and this time we'll be better prepared !!

svenbren
tope hunter

Postby svenbren » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:56 pm

;) good report
thats fishing you win some you lose some keep at them ;)
do you need a scaffold i can supply and erect tube and fitting/mobile fixed pasma scaffolds

davinski
Willy Wonka but needs a Humpalumpa

Postby davinski » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:41 pm

Nice to see Bully doing its stuff :) :) :)
Well done lads
Sea fishermen are born honest. But they soon get over it.

Thomask

Postby Thomask » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 pm

was a good evening perhaps not for fishing but all the same i am glad to be out fishing and not stuck in altho i wish i was towards the end of the night

lets hope i can land the next double i hook

Paul Tucker

well

Postby Paul Tucker » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 pm

well done lads. 8) i am getting the conger itch again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when will the weather calm down. :roll: next nice weekend we get i off. 8)

Psychocabbie
Obsessed Poster

Postby Psychocabbie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:03 pm

calm weather?
and i thought you were hardcore Mr Tucker - whats wrong with fishing in a force 8? :D :D :D

Paul Tucker

i

Postby Paul Tucker » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:15 pm

I lost some nice conger last year in bad weather. :( one at 30lb ish. :shock: just could not pull it out, the swell was just to big. :shock: and to make it even worse i then hooked another one about the same size slipped over and broke my finger. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I fish on my own a lot when i am in wales. ;) no ones got the balls to come with me in winter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so i need good weather to be safe and to land the monsters. 8)

Psychocabbie
Obsessed Poster

Postby Psychocabbie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:19 am

cant argue with that. fishing solo isn't for the feint hearted around them sort of marks. Mansize fishing that !! :D
as for losing them eels - unlucky on that. its kinda soul destroying.
i'm seriously thinking of investing in a gaff for my conger fishing, as a fish carefully gaffed throught the lower jaw doesnt suffer much short term damage. probably less than it having to swim around with an 8/0 nickel plated hook in its mouth with a trace in tow thats for sure.
It would save on losing all them big fish, and not be as dangerous.
Knowing my luck though, it would be like the dropnet i bought - not seen any action once i bought it.

irishphil
Super Poster

Postby irishphil » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:29 am

great report lads :D nice fish :D sorry about the lad missing out on the big one :( but there are others out there :D :D
irishphil

MrMikey
Super Poster

Postby MrMikey » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Great report and pictures lads, unlucky on the one that got away :(

Mike

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”