Round 3 Result and Report

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 3 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:47 pm

1st - Jeff White....................68cm - 11 Points
2nd - Adam Roper.................64cm - 10 Points
2nd - Dave Radcliffe...............64cm - 10 Points
4th - Dale Edwards.................63cm - 8 Points
5th - Andy Wilmore.................62cm - 7 Points
5th - Ste Trish.......................62cm - 7 Points
7th - Mick McAloon..................61cm - 5 Points
7th - Richie Fisher...................61cm - 5 Points
9th - Dylan Kensall...................60cm - 3 Points
9th - Jordan Roberts.................60cm - 3 Points
11th - Gary Swift.....................59cm - 1 Point
11th - Roy Schofield..................59cm - 1 Point
13th - Dave Roberts..................58cm - 1 Point
13th - Andy Jenkins.................58cm - 1 Point
15th - Steve Duffy....................57cm - 1 Point
15th - Mike Davis......................57cm - 1 Point
15th - Lee Hobbs......................57cm - 1 Point
18th - Brian Roper.....................45cm - 1 Point
19th - Andrew Hoyle..................32cm - 1 Point
20th - Graeme Stuart.................31cm - 1 Point
21st - Gaz Williams....................28cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool.......................Brian Roper - Codling 45cm.

So Round 3 of this years Winter League saw 21 anglers make the return to Vale Park for the second of our two trips here this winter. The inclement weather in the week as well as the easterly wind that greeted us put a bit of a dampener on our hopes however we all got tackled up and made our way down onto the prom to wait for the tide to drop. Here is the team photo for this one.............................

Once out onto the beach we were soon ready to go and 21 baited rigs were send skyward in the search of Codling, Dabs, Whiting and anything else that might be swimming about. The first half an hour was slow going with plenty of motionless rod tips, irrespective of whether it was big baits on loop rigs for the Codling or smaller scratching rigs, the search for the much needed flat and round combo got off to a slow start for most...........................

A few fish then started to come onto the bank, mainly Whiting and some of a good size yet again with around half of the lads taking Whiting in the 30-37cm bracket to get their round fish on the board. There was however a distinct lack of Codling to be seen and anyone who managed to find one would put themselves in pole position as the match progressed. Just after an hour in Brian Roper did just that with this nice clean run fish of 45cm which would be enough for him to take the longest fish pool.......................

Half way in and most people had a Round fish however few had managed the flat and round combo with only Steve Duffy, Roy Schofield, Dale Edwards and myself with two fish on the board. Flats were again proving hard to come by for some and it was going to take some effort and something different to find the better fish. Richie Fisher then showed how its done yet again with his Urf rig which produced this nice little Plaice of 28cm to give him his Flat fish...................................

As we progressed into the last hour the Dabs then seem to come on the feed in little pockets along the bank which then saw most people getting two fish on their card making for a very close finish.

Dave Radcliffe and Roy Schofield both upped sticks and moved and it proved a good decision for Dave in particular as he managed to find a better Dab and also a Codling of 38cm to put himself right up at the top of the leaderboard in the mix for the win.

Brian Roper was finding Dabs however frustratingly for him, three of them were 24cm meaning he could not find an in size Flat fish to go with his Codling.

But it was to be Jeff White who would take the win. Jeff was only on a 31cm Whiting at half way however he yet again demonstrated why this format is so challenging and rewarding to fish at the same time as he continued to fish hard and in the last hour took both the biggest Whiting of the day at 37cm and the best Dab at 31cm to take a well deserved and first win on his debut year in the league.

All roads now lead to Seacombe Ferry over the afternoon high for Round 4.................
2017 Species

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: Round 3 Result and Report

Postby Big Kev » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Looks like another hard day at the office,but it keeps everyone going when it`s so close. Top report Adam and a good win for Jeff.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Great report as ever. :thumbsup: Got the fish required but not of a better size. :evil:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Very close match and well done to the winners. Not only did I have to go home for my waders, but 2 and a half hours after the match my heart sank as I realised I hadn't got my wallet. After a frantic search I returned to where my car was parked and found it under a big leaf in the gutter, fully intact!! I feel like a winner too haha!

The lottery numbers will be 2,3,28,36, 44, and 46 :-)
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:23 pm

top report adam. again plenty of fish and great craic .looking forward ton the next one. glad you got your wallet back richie ,while we were down by the shelter for the presentation my car door was wide open all that time with my gear in luckily still there when i got back to it .phew!!

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Great report and pics Adam. Well done Jeff on your win, two nice specimens ! :clap:
Tight match, with every centimetre worth its weight in gold :help:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup, Dogfish, Silver eel
2017 species.......17

Patriot
Super Poster

Postby Patriot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Very pleasing to get my first win. Plenty of whiting between 28 and 35cm, got that one at 37cm then changed tactics to 3 hooks and 30 yd lobs for the dabs. Got the dab on my first cast and at 31cm thought it might take some beating, so back to the bigger baits in the hope of Mr cod. Two 35cm plump whiting, but no cod.

Thoroughly enjoyable meet again and this format certainly keeps you on your toes

Roll on the next match
Only here for the cod!

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Well done on the win Jeff :clap: It's a tough old format after 3 matches I've only had one in size flat and that was in the last 15 mins plenty at 24cm :doh: Great report Adam looking forward to the next match
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:35 pm

A very close match there chaps. Well done on the win Jeff, and likewise to Roper Snr for taking the longest fish :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:36 pm

Another great report Adam, looks like a good close match. Well done to the winners. :clap: :clap:

graeme stuart
Regular Poster

Postby graeme stuart » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Well done on the win Jeff even though i came nowhere, felt i had a chance to the very last cast! a very good format for a match Well run match and report Adam

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:26 pm

nice fishing gents.. gutted i missed it, was drinking egg nog and sambuccas at the xmas markets in manchester

Richie... you lucky bar steward!!!
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am

Another good turn out, great report again adam, well done jeff on taking the win, hopefully will make the next one. :thumbsup:
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”