Lost My Fly Rod Virginity

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Lost My Fly Rod Virginity

Postby Richie Fisher » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:38 pm

I bought a fly outfit about 4 years ago and after a very unsuccessful attempt at casting I put it away for a rainy day and it hadn't been used since, until today.
Shaun offered to take me to a fishery and show me the basics to get me up and running. We arrived at Llandegla Fly Fishery and went onto a back field for some casting instruction. He had me up and running after a few minutes (thanks Shaun) and we headed down to the pool.

First cast and Shaun was in with a juvenile rainbow which he unhooked and put back. Things then slowed right down and the wind got up a bit. I alternated between a good cast and wrapping myself up like a maypole but I was enjoying myself.

Shaun had shown me a few methods of retrieval and I'd tried all of them except the fast retrieve so I gave it a go and got smashed. After just under 10 minutes, and falling on the slippery bank I got it in and Shaun netted it for me. A rainbow of 8lbs 8ozs.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be Shaun's day, he'd hooked a couple but been snapped off.

After another half hour or so I got my next take and landed this fella, Shaun told me it's a blue trout. I can honestly say I'd never even heard of one before!

The wind got up even more and so we decided on a sausage buttie and coffee in the cafe. All in all a great day. :thumbsup:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Lost My Fly Rod Virginity

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Well done that man :clap: :clap: and a yeah to Shaun for helping out. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Well in Richie laaa, Crackin Trout :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

lil01jon
Regular Poster

Postby lil01jon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Top dangling! :thumbsup:
Species 2016 - Codling, whiting, Dab, Flounder, silver eel, dogfish, Coalfish, Pollock, Thornback ray, Smooth hound, Tub gurnard, mackerel, poor cod, bass.

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm

It was a very hard days fishing with everyone struggling to catch so you did well to catch and even more so to hook and land that chunk for your fish fly caught fish. I did intend for you to cut your teeth on smaller fish first though so I could instruct you on landing fish in a more relaxed setting and maybe then it wouldnt have been like a laurel and hardy out take :lol: Probably the worst time to slip is when your bringing a big trout to a waiting net :badgrin:

Your casting improved well as the session went on and you maintained casting composure even as the wind got up which is never easy... Next time your out you'll have the casting nailed and you'll be surprise how easy it now is when it's calm 8) Weldone mate :thumbsup:

Fish first cast is the kiss of death, I only had the odd bite after that and at times it felt like someone had cut my hook points off and the one other fish I did hook proper snapped me off when I was reaching for the net :doh:

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks again Shaun. Without your help I'd still be ****ing in the wind
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Well in Richie, you couldn't have asked for a better first session :clap: :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Well in Richie :clap: :clap: :clap:

Had my first go at fly fishing on Rutland water last year. Had 7 Rainbows but nothing approaching 8lb. Already got a few sessions booked for later in the year though :)
Kev

Greg Barratt
Headless Angler

Postby Greg Barratt » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:47 pm

:thumbsup:
Greg

If hopes and wishes turned into fishes....

2016 species:(15)
Starry Smoothhound, Thornback Ray, Black Bream, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Codling, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Dab, 3b Rockling, Dragonet, LSD, Silver Eel, Lobster, Starfish

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 am

Nice one Rich not a bad first fish. :clap: :clap:

Where do you go from there, Bonito on a fly?

Bigun
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bigun » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Welcome to the real world of fishing Richie :lol: :lol: nothing like battling the wind with an 9oz rod and line, the Blue trout is a cracker but the rainbow is in excellent condition for the time of year, if it's a home grown fish not a stockie. Well done on popping your cherry I look forward to getting a few of you boys up to the Brenig on real trout water :lol: :lol:
[u]2015 Shore Species - Bass on the fly, Bass ( bait ),Mullet, whiting, dab, silver eel, Doggie, Starry Hound, Flounder,Pollock, Conger, Wrasse, Mackerel

Return to “StillWater Reports”