Small,medium,large !!

Post your canal reports here
talkingbullhuss
Obsessed Poster

Small,medium,large !!

Postby talkingbullhuss » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Had a window to go fishing yesterday ,but with going out partying for New Year's Eve ,and a lot of rain water coming down the dee ,sea fishing for me was out the window ..I apologise for this yet again not being a sea fishing report ,but would like to share my day ...

Canal piking ...
Was on the bank for 8am and set to work with pinkies for my live bait..after an hour I had plenty little roach and qudgeon
Next job to my first pike swim .i travel light with just one rod and minimal tackle ,because I find if you haven't caught one in 30 mins you best just try another swim ,and if there there they nail a live bait ,quicker than a tramp on a chip !! ..
First swim ...

No action here give it 30 mins ....

Second swim ...
Give this 30 mins also no action ....
Swim number three...
First cast tight under the far cover ,bang fish on straight away .lost it . A jack of a few pounds ..second cast had this cute little pike ..
Then in the same swim fish number two ..
Getting bigger ...
Then fish number three .this one took me by surprise when I struck into it as I only ever have jacks on live baits from this canal and my landing net was nowhere nr big enough .. It gave me the run around for a good ten mins before I got it in with three failed attempts I finally got it to fold in the net lol ..
I am no specimen hunter but this is the biggest fish I've ever caught ,deffo mid doubles if anyone could roughly tell me the weight of this fish ,as I left my scales at home ! ..I guess a good thirteen pounds ?..
Happy new year everyone and my next report will deffo be a salty one ,as Iam really missing being by the sea ....
Sea fishing like a drug ................

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Small,medium,large !!

Postby Steve Duffy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Crackin session Tim. :clap: :clap: From past experience I would put that baby between 12 and 15lb.A belter. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:04 pm

A very interesting and informative report, thanks Tim :clap: :clap:

I quite enjoy a walk along the shroppy with a spinner but I've got to say I quite like your approach there and might give it a go in the next few weeks.

blueflag
Regular Poster

Postby blueflag » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Fantastic canal pike, in fact, just a fantastic pike anywhere! Great report!
2014 species, Cod, Whiting, Dab, LSD, flounder, thornback ray, plaice, pollack, blenny, Ballan wrasse, three bearded rockling.

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Nice pike Tim, always found it hard to guess the weight of pike but it's certainly a comfortable double. Looks like there grouping together for spawning :thumbsup: that jack would have made a nice live bait :lol:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Nice Pike n cracking report n pics there me oowwdd.
The Wrassewrangler

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Great report and a cracking pike, well done Tim :clap: :clap:

Return to “Canal Fishing Reports”