Mini Leeds/Liverpool Tour

Post your canal reports here
Big Kev
The Masterful One

Mini Leeds/Liverpool Tour

Postby Big Kev » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Could`nt wait to get out on Monday morning,and after talking to Ken (Prescot Angling For All Your Angling Needs) i set off for the Brewery Lane stretch....i parked up just by the bridge and walked a couple of hundred yards to the right until i found a likely looking swim...
The first stretch was fairly thick with weed/lillies but the further you went,the more it thinned out.
A couple of pouches of micro pellets and red maggots were fired on to the edge of the lillies and i got the pole out before having a coffee n fag break...i like to sit for 15 mins before starting fishing...a chance to get used to the surroundings and have a look at the wildlife.
First drop in with double maggot saw my float sail away...game on with a nice powerful tench of around 3lb....fun n games trying to keep it out of the abundant cover,but i won in the end....
All the disturbance must have spooked any other tench and for the next 90 mins i had to be content with palm sized roach virtually every chuck....one decent skimmer broke the pattern...
If it was a match i`d have carried on,but there`s only so many roach you can put up with...after feeding my feathered friends with some corn i was off....
....Plan B was back to the barges at Hall Lane where i`d bagged up recently....
Good numbers of tench and bream had been coming out before all of the recent rains lowered the water temp,but i was still confident of getting some sport....
peg 461 leaves you 14m from the barge...
Some good carp have been hit here too but unless you`re geared up for them it`s hard to get them in.
I did`nt have to wait long for a tench to get on the maggots....
A few small roach n perch followed but the increasing wind made life impossible to fish at 14m :roll: Plan C...find some shelter by the Blue Anchor stretch behind Aintree racecourse.....
Fairly weedy for a lot of the stretch,but still plenty of pegs to have a go from....
I found a nice looking peg with cover at 13m.....
Same attack with drip fed pellets and red maggots gave instant results with plenty of roach showing before the obligatory tench .....
Very enjoyable morning....gunna try down Parbold next Monday 8)
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

John Petersen
The Prisoner

Postby John Petersen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Kev,

Do you need any permit/day ticket/waterways wanderer tickets for these stretches ?
I am not a number !

Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm

You fished some of my fave areas on that canal 8) See my old pole is still doing the business :D I told you those tippex marks would come in handy. :lol: Great report. ;)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Officially its £20 a year for a Liverpool and District Angling Association card,which covers the whole canal from Southport to Liverpool centre...or you can obtain a day ticket for £5 from local tackle shops or bankside bailiffs.....i`ve never seen a bailiff along any stretch,so choose your option accordingly ;)
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Big Kev wrote:Officially its £20 a year for a Liverpool and District Angling Association card,which covers the whole canal from Southport to Liverpool centre...or you can obtain a day ticket for £5 from local tackle shops or bankside bailiffs.....i`ve never seen a bailiff along any stretch,so choose your option accordingly ;)

I start my part-time job as a bailiff on Friday. :badgrin: :badgrin:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:43 pm

nice one kev...not had a chance to use my LDAA csrd yet this year :cry:
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

Return to “Canal Fishing Reports”