long rods

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

long rods

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:36 pm

information for anyone looking for a long rod.

after searching through site after site looking at long rods / i had narrowed my search to a few rods the / tronix cobra and century had 2 but i have got century rods all ready? they are not well suited to the stile of fishing that i do / what i mean by that is i don't pendulum cast and i like to fish as light as i can with both rod and reel and not having to start swinging leads around to compress the blank / the terminal set up is 18-20 main line no shock-leader plus a rig with a 4oz weight at most .
my current rods and setups are casting from 40 - 120 yards but we have found some new areas where the fish can push out further than this hence
the reason for looking at a different set up as we can always cast shorter but not always cast longer when needed?

the final choice on the rod was a 14ft10 Blackrock Compertition series / the rod weighs 750g and the tip is part of the blank and not spliced in casting weights are 3.5 to 6.5 oz.
i have bought this rod to try it out and if i don't like the performances it will only cost £15 to return it ?

tried this rod out today in actual fishing conditions ie head on wind 3-4 short pully rig with a lugworm on for a true test ? coupled the rod up with a slosh 20 multiplier with 2 small break blocks fitted 18lb main line and shockleader i tried both a 4 and 5oz bomb to start the test after about a dozen casts on the beach and walking the distance of each cast it produced casts of 138 to 142 yards with a simple overhead thump and for a long rod felt very comfortable to use no sign of any difference to the standard beach rod / walked to the waters edge to see what the tip sits like in the strong flow of the ebbing tide as a lot of the conti rods have been criticized for the floppy tips fitted to them / the result was no visible problem cast out let the line come around and the lead bed in took up slack line and the tip just sat nice ?

so now it was time to test it with a fixed spool reel which i personally don't use so the only reel i had to test it out with was a ABU soron 60 spinning reel with 15lb braid which i fitted a 30lb mono leader for this test .

and i must own up and say this felt much more comfortable on the rod compared to the multiplier reel / so same again had a dozen or so casts
this time the distance was 145 - 160 yards AND WOW I MUST HOLD MY HANDS UP TO SAY IT FELT MUCH BETTER THAN USING THE MULTIPLIER plus the soron is not a beach casting reel so by using a tapered spool reel the distance should improve.

so final finding are this rod will not be going back and i can see why others have been going down this road / and further more i will be having some humble pie and finding a good quality fixedspool reel to match up with this rod.

i am going back out 2moro to try and give it the fish test to see how it feels with some flats on it?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: long rods

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:29 pm

Good info Brian.I went down the long rod/fixed spool/braid road a year or two back.Best thing I've ever done. 8)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:05 pm

bit more information

had other things to do today so the fishing test is on hold till tomorrow.

so i had another test with some reels on this new rod?
used a large fixedspool reel with braid and it was prone to wind knots every other cast which left me weary to test it to the full but having said this this is not one of the out and out casting reels with tapered spool and good line lay.

tried the soron again but with a 60lb braid shockleader this time same result as yesterday distance wise but the braid shockleader was prone to wind knots as apposed to the mono leader i used yesterday.

i also tried an ABU 6600 C4 with level wind 18lb mono line and 4oz weight this also went well but could not keep up with the rod the levelwind was holding the distance back ? may be a chome rocket or daiwa 7ht would suit the rod better?

having used a few reel on this rod fixedspool reel wise i think this rod would be best matched with a good quality shimano or daiwa reel size of 5500 to 7000.

its my opinion that nowhere days the choice of reel to suit the rod termial tackle plus your style of fishing is the most important thing to consider long and hard?

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:16 pm

just an update on the blackrock conti rod.
having used this blackrock rod for several sessions i was very happy with the performance and feel of the rod it was a rod blank with no glitter bits just basic blank with fuji rings and reel seat .

but sadly i tried a millionaire 7ht on it and second cast the male joint on the middle section just collapsed ? i was only using a 4oz weight and casting with an over head style
the reason this has happens i have no explanation ? may be just a defect in this rod or a freak thing i don,t know .
when i phoned the supplier they offered a replacement straight away but once something like this has happens you just have no confidence in them so i have opted for another rod any one thinking in purchasing one of these rods should take this into account first as it was not mistreated in any way and the cost of the rod was £199.00 .

the rod i have chosen is the new version of the sonik gravitysurf HT at 14ft4"

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Some interesting information Brian. Like yourself and Steve I've gone down that route and have 3 long rods all with different characteristics but I'm sold on the combination of them, fixed spool and braid.

In Fuerta last week though I used my century tip tornado and feel that it was perfect for the job there.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Ian your spot on their think we are going down the road of woman with a rod for every occasion and a reel to suit :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: .

i sold my century super match to Richie / to stiff for the type of fishing i want to be doing but still have the century LD.
but for some years now i have been tinkering with all sorts of set up i am not far now with this years experiments of getting it to what i want to enjoy the sport to its full Ie.
the bass and rock fishing is very light and most of the time we are virtually on a free line set up.

as for the local fishing which we have been very successful at we are using carp set ups and have a very deadly rig to suit the set up which gives maximum sport and feeling.

as for the long rod set up as i have said just taken possession of a sonik gravitysurf HT
used it on wed at perch in the fast tide for the first time was very impressed with it as i have always been a bit skeptical of their rods having seen first hand snap and on some rods a poor build.

but with this rod i will eat my words up to now as it casts extremely easy with a carp fisherman's style of over the head thump plus the feeling through the rod is fantastic i had the same terminal rig on the century LD but when reeling fish in it was just a heavy load with the odd feeling of the fish pulling back as apposed to the sonik which you could feel every little thing even the fish trying to turn and ground them self's .

plus as i fish with crushed barbs on my hooks the century is pron to either throughing the hook or bumping the fish off / no such problem with the sonik as it has a hollow glass tip and the soft action cushions any sudden lunge well .

the ABU soron 60 reel suits the long rod both in size and balance ? but i would like to try a similar size reel but with a tapered spool.

while on this type of setup i have also been experimenting with all different types of braid and leaders / the best main braid i have used is the spider wire i use 18lb to 20lb as for the leader i have tried the Berkeley and power pro in 40lb to 60lb but have endless problems with wind knots / so tried mono but the knots get a bit bulky for the small rings on some rods and the ever pain in the neck weed on the knot.
i have found that continuing with the spider wire as a leader gives a very small neat knot i can have problem free fishing with using 30lb up to 50lb no wind knots at all ? or weed .

for you anglers out their that want to enjoy your fishing without the bulky setups this is definitely the way forwards.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:05 am

It's funny what you say about the braid and wind knots Brian. I've personally found the opposite and got more knots in lower diameter line, last week on the same two reels I used 40 and 80lb until I got a series of knots in the 40 and ended up with 80 on both rods. I wonder if it's just individual styles?

Another thing that has worked well for me is that fg or fc knot that Henry gilbey bangs on about, I can't fault it. I've now got one of the stonfo knot tools but I actually prefer the fg knot as its smaller. I've never had any problems with it catching on rings even with a small spinning rod. I could even tie it on a beach if needed and have never had one fail on me.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm

upon reading your reply Ian i was reading the bit about the opposite thoughts of the braid and you saying you prefer the heavier the first thing that came in to my mind was different casting styles but you beat me to it / your spot on again with that i keep saying this to my brother and others we can only learn by watching others and asking other anglers to gaining more information but even then you have to adapted that information and apply it to your own particular style as each and every one of us is so different.

i see this with my brother when we are fishing together the only thing we have the same is being on the same venue - what suits me dose-not suit him and vise versa in fact the only thing we do use the same is the rig that we use for flattie fishing even are approach to bait presentation is different

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:05 pm

iank wrote:It's funny what you say about the braid and wind knots Brian. I've personally found the opposite and got more knots in lower diameter line, last week on the same two reels I used 40 and 80lb until I got a series of knots in the 40 and ended up with 80 on both rods. I wonder if it's just individual styles?

Another thing that has worked well for me is that fg or fc knot that Henry gilbey bangs on about, I can't fault it. I've now got one of the stonfo knot tools but I actually prefer the fg knot as its smaller. I've never had any problems with it catching on rings even with a small spinning rod. I could even tie it on a beach if needed and have never had one fail on me.

I've been using the FG knot for a few years now and it's been spot on. As you say Ian is easy enough to tie on the beach if neeed be.
I use 40-60lb braid straight through and have never had any issues. I don't think I would go back to a leader for shore fishing unless I was fishing very snagy ground.
I've been tempted to go for a Conti rod for a while but I just don't know where to start with them. I need something that can chuck 200g+ bait. Any ideas?

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:21 pm

I've got to say I agree with you again Brian, it's all about getting out and trying different and new things. There is always something to learn.

I must admit, Dave, that I found it a minefield when buying my first long rod but was lucky enough to end up with a second hand yuki Q7 in mint condition.

After agreeing the sale I had to wait a while as my brother collected it in S. Wales so I bought a cheap Shakespeare K2 titanium, 15' as I just wanted to try a long rod. I've got to say that I liked this rod so much that I tried to buy another but they had been discontinued (that's why they were cheap) and couldnt find one anywhere.

After spending quite a while trying to get another I ended up buying another discontinued rod which I thought might be similair, this time a Penn regiment, 15'. Again it's was quite cheap and I'm pleased with it for the money paid, I don't think it's a true continental style but came with three tips (4,6 &8oz) so it's quite versatile. Between the three rods I think I've got most situations covered and enjoy using all three. The yuki is a different style to the others, is obviously better quality and great from a beach but I do prefer using the other two in the Mersey.

Like you I'm also sold on fishing braid straight through in many situations, the Mersey being one.

Lets face it part of the fun of getting a new rod is the looking and deciding, good luck.

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:57 am

Got my first conti rod, going to give it a lash down otters tonight.

Ranny715
Super Poster

Postby Ranny715 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:38 am

Interesting topics covered here. All my fishing up until a few years ago was in South Wales so mostly used Century or Conoflex rods with 6500's or Penn 515/525. Used 15lb mainline and 60lb shockleader.
Moved up to Wrexham and started to have a look at marks up this way and then found this fantastic site with as much info on it as you could wish for. Tried the Mersey marks on the Wirral side and soon found my gear was unsuitable for these venues. Looked into the conti rod and came up with the Sonik Gravity Surf. Fixed spool Penn 7000 and Power Pro braid straight through.
Made fishing far more enjoyable. Since then have the Ht version of the Gravity Surf. Great rod. However in the last few months have come across the Vega range of rods. Used the Porenza Hardcore 4.5m for the first time last week and christened it with three codling and one cod of 6lb 5ozs. Brilliant rod used with Penn 7000 and braid straight through. Also have the Vega Yamada Surf. Use this as a second rod and smaller fixed spool. Great fun for the whiting, dabs and codling. No problem at all with wind knots.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:35 pm

ranny in reply to your post.
yes this site is a sound and reliable source for anyone wanting information on tackle they are looking to purchase plus i think most of the replies are given by anglers that actually own and are using the item in question.
having had a problem with the blackrock conti i had to do even more research to find what i was looking for and i also settled on the sonik gravity surf ht and used it with a soron 60 fixed spool reel with 18 lb spider wire braid it was well balanced to the rod and cast well / i then tried my multi daiwa millionaire reel with 18lb mono and a 50lb spider wire leader an even better outfit to use especially as the sonik graverty surf ht is a nice thin and very light rod it would even suit fishing the beaches in heavy surf hence the name .
its just my own opinion but i don.t see the sense in having a nice light rod and fitting these big and heavy fixed spool reels with 80lb braid on them ?

Ranny715
Super Poster

Postby Ranny715 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:06 pm

The Penn 8000 is a heavy reel but the 7000 combined with Power Pro 53lb breaking strain is I feel just right for the Mersey. Anything lighter would have struggled to land the 6lb cod on a 10m tide. The diameter of the line is the same as 15lb mono and without a shock leader for me is a win win. It depends I suppose on your aspirations. For me one is heavy...ish with big baits and the second rod much lighter.
I can see where you are coming from but I like to keep all options open.

Return to “The Rod Room”