Rod for beginner distance casting advice.

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
Barry sharp

Rod for beginner distance casting advice.

Postby Barry sharp » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am

Hi this is my first post on the forum although I've been gaining advice by using it for a while now, I was looking for some advice on rod selection for distance casting? Nothing too serious like competition just to gain those extra yards, I've currently got a "Conoflex Nemesis SLR plus" and a "Abu Atlantic 464" which I've used for couple of years now would tens rods be suitable to begin learning/practicing distance casting? Or are they too stiff fro a beginner? Any help or advice anybody out there has would be greatly appreciated. :p

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Rod for beginner distance casting advice.

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:51 pm

The 464 was a great rod in its time but it is a bit dated when compared to modern rods.The Tronix Viper at under a £100 with a Penn 7000 Surfblaster filled with cheap Chinese braid off e-bay will get you distances you only dreamt about. :thumbsup: But then again distance isn't everything as many fish can be caught 20 yards from the shore.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Piotrek
Super Poster

Postby Piotrek » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi I have a shimano catana ld+shimano aerlex with braid from China for that is cost about 200£ and playing really good. I think most important is casting metod not expensive rods :wave:

Barry sharp

Postby Barry sharp » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 pm

I totally,agree that price doesn't equal the technique needed for further casting. I was just looking for a slightly more forgiving rod as both my beach casters are very stiff and fancied a lighter option, the Tronix viper,looks like a good option at a very reasonable cost, had anybody used these rods?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:34 pm

Barry sharp wrote:I totally,agree that price doesn't equal the technique needed for further casting. I was just looking for a slightly more forgiving rod as both my beach casters are very stiff and fancied a lighter option, the Tronix viper,looks like a good option at a very reasonable cost, had anybody used these rods?

I fished besides Jimmy H at the last match.He has one and it really does look good.I had a couple of pretend casts and it feels great so much so that I fancy getting one as a back-up.I know an ex England international who uses one and he rates it very well for the price.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Barry sharp

Postby Barry sharp » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Nice one Steve I think that's made my mind up, and I've just found a 15% sale online so looks an even better bargain at £85 ish pounds. Happy days.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Barry sharp wrote:Nice one Steve I think that's made my mind up, and I've just found a 15% sale online so looks an even better bargain at £85 ish pounds. Happy days.

Who is selling them at that price ? Will order tomorrow. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Jimmy h
Regular Poster

Postby Jimmy h » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi mate i would defiantly recommend the viper like ste said iv got 1 and has instantly improved my distance i still need to work on my technique tho

Barry sharp

Postby Barry sharp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 am

I found the viper GT on "shutupandfish.co.uk" just add code SUMMERSALE16 at the checkout for 15% discount. Making the rod less than £85!!!
If your feeling a bit richer the Cobra comes in at £255!! With discount. Both great bargains I reckon.
Just to go off the subject does any body know why I can't log in on the front page? I have to click on the forums tab then log in?? This means I can't view the venues tab on the front page, any ideas?. :?:

Just brought up WSF in google.Didn't log in.Just checked out the reports map.Worked fine.Thanks for info about rod. :thumbsup:

Return to “The Rod Room”