Century tip tornado LD?

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Century tip tornado LD?

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Apologies for another rod thread but I'm looking for a nice light clean beach/ estuary rod, that I can use for a bit of bass fishing too, casting no more than 5 ounces tops, something that will give me some sport on the usual flounder/plaice sessions and light enough to hold for a full bass session too if required, with a nice sensitive tip. The century tip tornado LD seems in the right ball park from what I can see but grateful for any comments on this or suggestions for other possibles before my gift vouchers burn right through my pocket and do me an injury :lol: :dance:
Last edited by Bobdeniro2 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Re: Century tip tornado LD?

Postby Godders123 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:26 pm

There's always the Century Lite or even the Ultra Lite to consider if you're after something even more sportier.

I'm very tempted to add the Ultra Lite to my collection for the same kind of fishing as you've described. Brian (Whistlingsands) brother, Graham, has one. I couldn't believe just how light they are, they're a delight to hold. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKhGAtsZ3Kw
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Godders123 wrote:There's always the Century Lite or even the Ultra Lite to consider if you're after something even more sportier.

I'm very tempted to add the Ultra Lite to my collection for the same kind of fishing as you've described. Brian (Whistlingsands) brother, Graham, has one. I couldn't believe just how light they are, they're a delight to hold. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKhGAtsZ3Kw

Thanks Godders, looks worth a closer inspection. Have you come across the zziplex powertex bass?
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm aware of them but never held one so I can't comment on them. In the Zziplex range there's also the Profile Lite to consider which is a similar rod to the Century Ultra Lite. There aren't too many of them in circulation though if you're looking to buy a used rod and they're seemingly not so easy to come by new either as Gazzer has been trying to get his hands on one for much of this year without success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oCDADZyTrM
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:57 pm

I owned a Profile Evo and it was a great rod, wish I never sold it. I will replace it next summer with a standard Profile, there ace...

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Gaz has the Profile GT, so a similar blank to the Evo but with a glass tip. Like you say Dave it's a very nice rod indeed, Gaz loves using it, but you could get away with an even lighter rod for pure estuary and bass fishing, and dare I say even for targeting the smuts, and so it's the Century Ultra Lite that I'm favouring personally.

Richie also mentioned the Conoflex Source (I think, correct me if I'm wrong Richie) as another light rod but again I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one in person yet.
Graham

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Have a look at the AFAW 4&bait mk2. Defo worth a look also.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:40 pm

I have a pair of TTLD's and I love 'em ..... but they may not be the best fit with what you're looking for.

Don't be fooled by the "low diameter" bit, that's just for guys like me with quite small hands. I can cast 6oz and bait well over 100m with them easily. Soft on the cast (C curve action) but they are deceptively powerful. And they sit and absorb strong tides without breaking out the leads really well. I was only thinking the other day that they are just about perfect for fishing the Mersey, which is why I wont part with them

Bite detection is fine, but more of a rattle than the clear pull down of a soft tip on a J curve type of rod. A joy to play fish on though. You might think they're soft to start with but I've hauled in Conger to 18lb on them with ease. But they would eat Flounder and Plaice for breakfast.

I think Godders is onto something with the Ultra Lite in the Century range, although I've not used one myself. I've no experience of Zzippies either so can't comment on those.

Another option might be a dedicated Bass rod. I have a pair of MTI Bass rods for example which have incredible bite detection (due the glass tip), are light as a feather, cast 2-4oz up to 100m, but can still handle double figure hounds if they happen along.

Hth (but guess it probably hasn't! :))
Kev

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks for the advice and suggestions gents, a few good interesting choices I need to have a close look at :D

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Some sound advice above but can I offer an alternative just to confuse the issue? It might not be the sort of thing you're looking for but it might open the discussion a bit more.

For the past few years I've used and enjoyed the tip tornado sport but that doesn't sound like it's what you're after. Last autumn I decided to take the plunge and go down the long continental rod route and I've got to say 'I'm hooked'

While I was looking I found it completely confusing but in the end I bought a yuki q7 and a Shakespeare k2, both 15' but very different rods. On a beach I use the yuki, it's great, light enough to hold all day, very sensitive and shows up every touch. For the river or rough marks the k2 is my go to rod these days and like it so much that I've looked for another in case of breaking the first but have been unable to find any.

I was talking to a decent angler on the boat last week who was also using the k2 and like me was after another, couldn't find one so bought one of these and reckons it's good....

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/penn-re ... 26617.html

I can't say wether it is or isn't but at that price I've decided to have a try. I might be able to say more about it in a few weeks. This again probably will not suit but there are a lot of continental rods that use just 3 or 4oz of lead and can cast a long way.

Oh dear it does get hard :think:

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:54 pm

It's the Conoflex Frenzy that I've got Ian. It's just slightly stiffer than the Flatty Fanatic.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Will tell you tomorrow. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Return to “The Rod Room”