Another new rod question - which long rod?

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
iank
Obsessed Poster

Re: Another new rod question - which long rod?

Postby iank » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Some good, informative answers that I'm sure will help. Thanks lads

I certainly made my mind up to go down that route and will let you know the final outcome.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:21 pm

iank wrote:Some good, informative answers that I'm sure will help. Thanks lads

I certainly made my mind up to go down that route and will let you know the final outcome.

Its added a new dimension to my shore fishing. 8)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:28 pm

/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=26263

Just found the above post with a bit more info if anyone else is interested. There are certainly plenty of options?

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:40 pm

I tried the longer style rods a few years back and found them ok if it wasn't too windy out. There a right handful when it's windy and so I reverted to my shorter style rods. What I would suggest if your after a few more yards and especially at night is to try a slow osalation fixed spool loaded with braid on your regular shore rod. A Penn affinity 7000 or something along those lines. Well worth a try before before you fork out on a new rod..

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:26 am

Thanks Dave,

If Im getting a fixed spool reel it's got to be worth a try with that on my other rods first. I've also pretty much made my mind up on using braid with it.

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:17 pm

I love the longer rod/fixed spool approach and it amuses me to see people pooring there heart and soul into a pendulum to get the distances I can with a flick. Also of a night or during cold and wet sessions there will be no birds nests. IMO For general shore fishing, It's a simpler and more effective way.

First off I bought a pair of Tubertini boomerangs first off as a cheap long rod when I first saw what long rods could do and they where great, in comparison to the more modern long rod they where heavy but still gave me the needed leverage to punch a lead out a long way with a OHT. I snapped one though when trying to squeeze that little extra out of it to hit a gulley, whether I had previously damaged it I don't know but I've given the other some stick and its been fine.

Then I got my Vercelli (the yellow one) and the bite detection is great, it holds better in the wind and tide than my normal beach casters and even though Ian cringes at the sight of it, it will also pull out of some horrendous snags and most importantly It can put a lead a long way with no effort and with a bit of practice I think 200 yards is well within even my poorly timed and executed casting ability.

Your more than welcome to borrow them both for a few weeks if you wish to do so.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Another new rod question - which long rod?

Postby Godders123 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:01 pm

You could argue that if a caster is putting undue effort into a pendulum cast then their timing needs working on :think: Once mastered a pendulum cast should be as effortless as an OHT.

I think the majority of folk will choose their set up based on the kind of fishing they do, ability and also personal preference.

Personally I just don't get the same level of satisfaction from a fixed spool set up. Why? I'm not too sure to be honest. I used to do a lot of clay pigeon shooting and although I could shoot equally well with a side-by-side vs an under & over, I simply got more satisfaction from shooting an under & over and so that's what I used.

There's certainly some advantages in using a long continental rod as mentioned earlier in this thread, particularly for less proficient casters, but for me, my main set up will be what I get most enjoyment out of, a conventional rod and multi :thumbsup:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Godders123 wrote:You could argue that if a caster is putting undue effort into a pendulum cast then their timing needs working on :think: Once mastered a pendulum cast should be as effortless as an OHT.

This :clap:
Ive tried a long rod but being as short as bilbo baggins I just get too unbalanced by a long rod resulting in jerky unconsistent casting for me but ive saw some lads put some delicate baits along way with them ,that with a normal beach rod would explode before you released the spool.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:25 pm

I would pack in fishing if i had to use a fixed spool....absolutely hate the whole experience using them.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:42 pm

That's a great offer Shaun and much appreciated.

I've got to agree that some help and practise pendulum casting would be beneficial. I learnt to use a multiplier as a kid when there was no real option and I think John Holden was just starting to talk about pendulum casting in angling times or similair but never got in to it.

I felt the same about fixed spools for sea fishing for a long time Kev although I used them all the time for coarse fishing and spinning but after trying one the other day it just seemed so easy. I also think it should make fishing the beaches in the dark much easier and can hopefully see the benefits of going down the braid route with them.

I've just been reading the whitby site and it seems to me that a lot of the lads on there say the same as Dave so it's going to be a trial with an eggbeater for me as I'd be getting one anyway with a long rod. Which brings me nicely to the next question.

I know what Kev thinks but any other thoughts on reels? I've narrowed it down to a choice of three but again would be interested in other peoples experience.

Thanks again.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 pm

just seen this discussion / when my brother first started fishing he bought the remodeled ABU 484 Atlantic i had a go with it and it went some distance again he had a fixed spool reel on it with a 4 oz lead / and i just give it a straight over head cast

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 pm

this is the same old same old personally my first thought would be what type of fishing am i buying this rod for.
90% of the fishing i do is during the night manly for bass on well known storm beaches the only time i want to cast long is fishing for rays and smooth hound and on occasions to reach the cod.
i also find that to many people move all over the place when casting in any style you get a lot further with a controlled and smooth cast giving no problems ether it be daylight or in darkness .
thing to ask is it worth buying a new outfit for the odd sessions ?

dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Ian. The yuki I have the Q6 wouldn't be any good on rock marks. Way to light through the top section and would struggle lifting decent fish off the bottom. But to fish beaches with I really recommend them. Just a over head thump and your casting good distances. I'm yet to hook anything other than a tiny thornie on mine (Palm sized) hope this helps.

Flounder, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Dogfish, Octopus, Thornback Ray, Bass, Smoothie

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 am

Ian, I would suggest the Shimano Ultegra 10,000 XSC if you budget would allow, approx £160. Second choice would be Penn Affinity 7000-8000, approx £110-120. Both great reels but if I was spending money on a fixed spool it would definitely be the Ultegra..

dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:14 am

I also have an ultegra 10000 coupled to my yuki. Great combo.

Flounder, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Dogfish, Octopus, Thornback Ray, Bass, Smoothie

Return to “The Rod Room”