Another new rod question - which long rod?

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Another new rod question - which long rod?

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:20 pm

GAZZ3R wrote:
iank wrote:Job done!

I reckon I took between 2-3 hrs but we had sautéed shrimp a plenty last night and three lots of potted shrimp in the fridge. So it's shrimp every night this next week :p

I'm thinking of having another go just to get some to bag up raw to try as bait over the winter. :think:
What? More shrimp? At least you'll be able to have Sauted Shrimp, Boiled Shrimp, Garlic Shrimp, Shrimp cocktail, Shrimp soup, Shrimp Curry, Beer battered Shrimp, The possibilities are endless :D

Gaz you forgot Shrimp Shrimp. :lol: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I always forget something Steve :doh:
Sea Fishing is the Dogs Danglies :D

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Just had some more for tea, tasty!

I'm thinking that while they are there and plentiful Gazz it's got to be a cheap source of winter bait and the cod won't be able to refuse a lug wrap with a couple of them mushed in or maybe just a big shrimp sausage or shrimp kebab?

I just wish choosing one of these rods was as easy!

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Yum yum :p

I'll have to get my push net out. Only used it a couple of times but good fun and a tasty reward at the end
Triple knackered

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

Penn Affinity 7000. Taskers £80 :thumbsup:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:31 pm

iank wrote:Just had some more for tea, tasty!

I'm thinking that while they are there and plentiful Gazz it's got to be a cheap source of winter bait and the cod won't be able to refuse a lug wrap with a couple of them mushed in or maybe just a big shrimp sausage or shrimp kebab?

couldn't agree more Ian, I'd av a go myself if I knew where u went :lol:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:42 pm

GAZZ3R wrote:
iank wrote:Just had some more for tea, tasty!

couldn't agree more Ian, I'd av a go myself if I knew where u went :lol:

Walk out from Hoylake lifeboat station.No need to wade anymore than knee deep.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:28 am

I'd be happy to have a look out with you sometime Gazz. We would just need to find a time and tide to suit.

I'm going to modify my push net or make another one over the next few days so you'd be welcome to use it if you haven't got one.

Cheers
Ian

whistleing sands

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:17 am

Ian you will you will prob get loads of replies now again / another thing that have been around for years its just that people get lazy and would rather buy stuff / the use of a push net is not just restricted to shrimp i have use them for collecting peeler on soft mud beaches like talacre and collecting small sandeel /cockles / and bet of all you must of had it your self while using yours is when you empty it finding all the juvenile fish / and of coarse watching the more mature flatfish you dislodge swimming away amazing how close they stay to the waters edge .

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:05 am

That's spot on Brian. I suppose it like Tims post on what you like about sea fishing, me im happy just messing about by the water even though I know it's cheaper in time and effort just to buy them.

It's a really interesting exercise. You do get lots of immature fish, crabs even the odd weaver and as you say good sized flatfish in just a few inches of water.

Something I was just about to start looking up but you might be able to help me out. I remember reading on this site a few years ago that the shrimp move out when it gets cold. Have you noticed this or is it worthwhile pushing a net through in the winter? I have noticed that the shrimp seem to be at the biggest around this time.

Another thing you sort of hint on is that it doesn't have to be this side only for shrimps, I'm pretty sure that they must be in the gulleys and low water line at Formby and Ainsdale etc. it's just a case of having a look around.

paramedic
Obsessed Poster

Postby paramedic » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:51 am

Formby is rammed with them :dance:
Just accept it, you'll always have sand in your car !!

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:28 am

I knocked up a push net a month or so ago and still need to get out and give it a go, this might just give me the inspiration to get of my backside and get some bait in for the winter 8)

whistleing sands

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Ian to answer this the best way i can / the shrimp are like every other thing on the beach still their in colder months but not in the same numbers like the crab can't afford to get caught out on the beach when its freezing cold this is why we don't get a lot of crab activity in the winter months as summer they move well below the low water tide line / as for collecting shrimp in other areas they are every where and don't need to be a beach are i used to collect them from rock marks and the manai straits their like roads cats eyes in the night when you put a light on the floor i used to just drop in a fine mesh bag with bits of worm or crab in the bottom and leave for half an hour hope this helps .

and for any new angler who reads this the next time you are fishing of a night at some time whether is be on a sand beach or stone shore line have a go at shinning you head torch over the floor and rock pools you will be amazed at how much life and food their is for fish to feed on and you to collect / and its only my opinion and experience you will catch a lot more fish using small baits and hooks especially on surf beaches as the fish feed in the water table closest to the shore and just snatch at food main reason for small bait it acts natural in the water and the fish don't feel the hook and spit it out sorry for going on but you should also get in to the habit of holding your rod as you can feel every little bump far to many anglers miss fish leaving the rod in the rest .

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks Brian and I've got to agree again.

During the summer when i stayed up on the Llyn i used to use a kids net to get prawns etc out of the rock pools and then float fish them. The fish didn't mind that it wasn't shop bought worm, it's just what they find there naturally.

I was chatting to someone the other day who was saying that he keeps the shrimp alive for a few days just in trays of seawater dampened tissue or cloth.

Certainly worth a go Shaun if only to get a pint of rough shrimps to go with a glass or two of white. Also while the waters still warm you can just walk out in shorts etc and save bothering with waders.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:19 am

iank wrote:I'd be happy to have a look out with you sometime Gazz. We would just need to find a time and tide to suit.

I'm going to modify my push net or make another one over the next few days so you'd be welcome to use it if you haven't got one.

Cheers
Ian
Thanks very much Ian, I'll take you up on that offer, be good to collect some.

Return to “The Rod Room”