Another new rod question - which long rod?

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
iank
Obsessed Poster

Re: Another new rod question - which long rod?

Postby iank » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks for all the help lads. I reckon I've learnt quite a bit this weekend. So here's my thinking so far:

Brian I realise I'm probably a bit of a tackle tart or maybe should I say a tool tart :o the other day I saw a tool that does a specific job better than I'm already doing it and I think I'm like that in other ways of life too and just want to find out more.

Thanks Ian, for me its a night time beach thing with a light line approach. For a rock mark I reckon the way Dave mentioned is the way forward, for most other fishing I'm happy with my current set up. Its worth having a look at the Whitby site, those lads are using 60 - 100lb or so braid to pull out of the kelp so that's a different tool needed all together.

The three reels I'd picked out are the penn surfblaster and affinity plus the shimano ultegra and all have been mentioned so it seems a case of budget. A long rod is still very likely, its harder to choose than the reel but its to be decided after a few chucks with an eggbeater first.

Thanks again for all answers and I'd still welcome more from anyone.

whistleing sands

Postby whistleing sands » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 am

Ian between me and my brother we have quite a few rods at 13 foot long century in different weight class the abu 484 Atlantic and some others all can cast well .
if you would like to try them with your new reel before you make your mind up on the rod front just pm me cheers brian.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for the offer Brian, it's much appreciated.

Loads of info, offers to try rods. It just shows what a good bunch the lads are on this site.

Thanks all.

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Have had the Affinity for 9 months and very happy with it, a step up from the surfblasters my mate has been using, but he's just got the Ultegra (£140 from ABC in Beaumorris) and says it's another level, not had a cast with it yet myself but it feels like it might well be :love:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 am

Ian I have the Yuki Q6 coupled with a Shimano Ultegra 10000. Message me on either here or Facebook and I will quite happily let you have a session using it on a clean beach of course :-) no rough ground tho hahaha

Flounder, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Dogfish, Octopus, Thornback Ray, Bass, Smoothie

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for the offer Ian, all these offers are greatly appreciated.

Steve and me had a wander out this morning and I had a chuck with his yuki q7, wow, Im convinced it's the way for me. It's so easy!

Going off at a complete tangent.....

I also got a few shrimp while he got some worm. Now it's back to shelling shrimp for me....

Some raw ones packed away in the freezer also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:47 pm

As Ian said.The strange thing was the fact there was not a single black worm cast anywhere on the beach and we covered a large area.It is nearly time for the breeding season so maybe they are saving their energies for all the worm swapping parties to come. :think:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Look at all those Shrimp, Mmmmmmm :dance:
Sea Fishing is the Dogs Danglies :D

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:18 pm

GAZZ3R wrote:Look at all those Shrimp, Mmmmmmm :dance:

Shelling them is the most soul destroying job in the world Gaz. :doh:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:

Thats a hell of a lot to peel Steve :doubt:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:15 am

GAZZ3R wrote:
Steve Duffy wrote:

Thats a hell of a lot to peel Steve :doubt:

I know.....thats why I'm glad I did'nt bring any home.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:38 am

Job done!

I reckon I took between 2-3 hrs but we had sautéed shrimp a plenty last night and three lots of potted shrimp in the fridge. So it's shrimp every night this next week :p

I'm thinking of having another go just to get some to bag up raw to try as bait over the winter. :think:

whistleing sands

Postby whistleing sands » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:11 am

nice one Ian they will fish well / we use the cockles from harrison drive fresh or frozen they kill for the large winter dabs over the last few years the cockles and peeler legs have produced the better fish / i am big on collecting my own bait as it gives good satisfaction when you get decent fish on bait you have collected yourself my freezers are full of all sorts to many fishermen stick to fishing with frozen worm and mack . ps are we trying for the longest running thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigun
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bigun » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 am

Godders123 wrote:Hmmm...seems as though there are some attractively priced rods out there...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-New-for-2 ... 3cdc919508

:think: :think:

Graham,

I was talking about the iridium rod when we were over at Bull bay if you remember, I've now got one and it's very powerful. Taskers in Liverpool had them on offer for a while.
[u]2015 Shore Species - Bass on the fly, Bass ( bait ),Mullet, whiting, dab, silver eel, Doggie, Starry Hound, Flounder,Pollock, Conger, Wrasse, Mackerel

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:54 pm

iank wrote:Job done!

I reckon I took between 2-3 hrs but we had sautéed shrimp a plenty last night and three lots of potted shrimp in the fridge. So it's shrimp every night this next week :p

I'm thinking of having another go just to get some to bag up raw to try as bait over the winter. :think:
What? More shrimp? At least you'll be able to have Sauted Shrimp, Boiled Shrimp, Garlic Shrimp, Shrimp cocktail, Shrimp soup, Shrimp Curry, Beer battered Shrimp, The possibilities are endless :D

Return to “The Rod Room”