Another new rod question - which long rod?

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:36 pm

I had a short beach session at a new venue with Darren today and for the first time I had a cast with a 15' rod and fixed spool reel.

Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not a big caster but I was impressed with this. Bear in mind this was someone's new rod and reel so I was a bit cautious but a simple overhead cast added another 30 - 50 yds to my cast without even trying. I can also see real advantages when fishing in the dark as it's so easy.

I was so taken with this that I had to make a slight detour to Malcolm's on the way home. He showed me a few rods at different prices which all looked great but this just seemed to make the decision harder so I'd love to hear from anyone about which ones they use and what they think of them.

I know Steve is impressed with his Yuki, I remember Ian (dingle cod catcher) posting about a yuki but can't find his post but seem to remember it being positive. Any others?

Thanks,
Ian

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I fished Bull Bay a few months back after wrasse close in on my spinning rod. Another guy was there fishing with a pair of Trabuccos and he mentioned that there was a gulley about 120yrds out that harboured the odd spotted ray. Sure enough he pulled one in an hour or so later. That prompted me to set up my Zzippy and smash a bait out long. To hit that distance with a big fish bait I had to wind up a full pendulum which is pretty damn tricky on a rock mark with uneven footing. However the guy with the Trabuccos was hitting the same distance with an effortless overhead thump. I'd never really taken an interest in those long continental rods prior to that but it sure got me thinking about adding one to my arsenal for long distance fishing off rock marks.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

iank
Obsessed Poster

Re: Another new rod question - which long rod?

Postby iank » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Other than today the only experience I've had is fishing alongside Steve but on an open beach today casting the two rods alternatively I was very impressed.

The one I tried was also the cheaper end of the Diawa range so for me it begs a few questions as to where to pitch in.

Its certainly worth trying to get a few casts with one Graham, like I said I'm not a big caster but it made a significant difference (I'm not a pendulum caster, old school I'm afraid).They also must be easier to use on a windy, dark, wet night not having to worry about looking down and laying the line right etc.

When I get one one you're certainly welcome to have a go.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:29 pm

It's interesting that you were achieving good distances with an entry level rod Ian and it's kind of you to offer a test drive of yours once you get one...I'll take you up on that if that's OK.

When it's needed I can put a bait out at a decent enough distance with a pendulum, provided there's a firm footing underneath or course. My only requirement for such a rod would be for the odd rock mark where you need to place a bait out at distance, and since that's rarely the case I'd be reluctant to spend £250+ on one of the top brands.

Ian used his Yuki at Cymyran last weekend alongside his Daiwa Supercast and we were looking forward to seeing how it would handle a decent sized ray but unfortunately he only caught on his Daiwa.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:37 pm

Hmmm...seems as though there are some attractively priced rods out there...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-New-for-2 ... 3cdc919508

:think: :think:
Graham

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Godders123 wrote:It's interesting that you were achieving good distances with an entry level rod Ian and it's kind of you to offer a test drive of yours once you get one...I'll take you up on that if that's OK.

When it's needed I can put a bait out at a decent enough distance with a pendulum, provided there's a firm footing underneath or course. My only requirement for such a rod would be for the odd rock mark where you need to place a bait out at distance, and since that's rarely the case I'd be reluctant to spend £250+ on one of the top brands.

Ian used his Yuki at Cymyran last weekend alongside his Daiwa Supercast and we were looking forward to seeing how it would handle a decent sized ray but unfortunately he only caught on his Daiwa.

Maybe there's a bit of an answer there Graham. We are all concerned with distance but to be honest I've sort of tailored my fishing to where distance isn't the most important factor. I really don't think I need to go to yuki expense but I also don't want to buy one rod this year only to want to improve it next.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:12 am

I have the 15ft TF Gear Force 8 and love it for casting. It takes a while to get used to the extra length (ooh err) and alter your technique accordingly,but once you`re comfortable with it,it`s a joy to use. I had hoped to start pendulum casting with it this spring,but tearing the ligaments in my right shoulder has prevented me from doing that,as any sideways movement is still painfull,but i still get a good distance with an overhead cast...@£200 they`re not cheap though. :think:
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss.....smut.....Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:12 am

Godders123 wrote:Hmmm...seems as though there are some attractively priced rods out there...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-New-for-2 ... 3cdc919508

:think: :think:

from the title it looks like it can chuck out a lb of lead :o

All New for 2014 Iridium Surf 420-200g 14 ft 7oz from Trabucco CX 1 carbon

but its the model number and a misplaced - :doh:
Double knackered

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:53 am

I've been using long (16 ft) rods , on and off since 2004, and have used various makes . I would say go for something around the 15 ft range and like everything in life you get what you pay for. I buy most of my rods 2nd hand and the last one I got was a 16 ft triplex fixed spool model, unused with the tags on for..... £130!. This model , while heavier than some of the continental makes can blast a lead a great distance with micro braid on a fixed spool. They do , like everything , have pros and cons and not suitable for every type of fishing. Get an entry level model to try then upgrade if you get on with it. Hope this helps. Steve.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:25 am

I have seen one of our ex members blasting a 10 oz lead out on one of the cheaper Yuki's which cost about £150.I will try and find the name.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:15 am

When you think about it a £200 15 ft rod that'll achieve the same distances as my £450 zzipys with less effort has got to be worth investing in, especially if you do a lot of night fishing.
The Wrassewrangler

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:36 am

If you check out Moonfleet Angling website you will see that Yuki rods start at just under £100.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:08 am

Steve Duffy wrote:I have seen one of our ex members blasting a 10 oz lead out on one of the cheaper Yuki's which cost about £150.I will try and find the name.

The rod in question was the Yuki Koniro.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:
Steve Duffy wrote:I have seen one of our ex members blasting a 10 oz lead out on one of the cheaper Yuki's which cost about £150.I will try and find the name.

All the continental rods I've seen are rated to cast far more than they are comfortable with. I've seen loads snap too when pushed that bit too far. If you are casting 7oz plus bait go for a traditional English rod would be my advice

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Trishy wrote:
Steve Duffy wrote:

All the continental rods I've seen are rated to cast far more than they are comfortable with. I've seen loads snap too when pushed that bit too far. If you are casting 7oz plus bait go for a traditional English rod would be my advice

The rod in question put out a 6oz lead and a small mackie to land a 35lb tope down the Lleyn off a rock mark.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Return to “The Rod Room”