penn rampage surfbeach 13ft and surfblaster 8000

We'd love to hear what you have to say about your rods
penn pusher

penn rampage surfbeach 13ft and surfblaster 8000

Postby penn pusher » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Guys, new to the site and would love to know if anyone can share their info on the Penn Rampage 13 ft and Surfblast 8000 combo, I am looking to buy a good general shore rod and reel, (I already have other cheap rods and reels) and I have a budget of £180. I fish mostly around Anglesey off beaches, rocks and where ever I think/hear is fishing well. Any advice is appreciated. john

Ken the PACMAN
Obsessed Poster

Re: penn rampage surfbeach 13ft and surfblaster 8000

Postby Ken the PACMAN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:42 pm

It is a decent enough general purpose combo the rod comes in a strong but heavy protective tube and is three section 4 to 6 oz and the reel is similar to the top range Affinity you normally get line with that deal too but we do it with a tripod too for £180.
Live to Fish - Fish to Live
King Cod Swansea 2004
www.prescotanglingcentre.co.uk
0151-426-5011.
You can also find us on Facebook...just... Prescot Angling Centre.

penn pusher

Postby penn pusher » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Ken Thanks for the info, would you suggest I look at something else for that kind of money, I have read a little about TFG rods and they are rated quite well for the money. Any advice appreciated. John :think:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 pm

penn pusher wrote:Hi Ken Thanks for the info, would you suggest I look at something else for that kind of money, I have read a little about TFG rods and they are rated quite well for the money. Any advice appreciated. John :think:

I have two Tfg Delta 14s, @ £90 each they are well worth the money, Then leaves you the same for a good abu ct multi or whatever make you prefer.For what you are spending go for the multi set up :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

penn pusher

Postby penn pusher » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi GAZZER Cheers for your advice, you have now put me in a pickle, I have been wanting to try a multi for ages but I keep on persisting with a fixed spool telling myself that I am fine, but I a now I am buying a new combo should I try a multi???? obviously, if it doesn't suit me I could always sell/swap it. Also, when practicing casting with multi what would you recommend, I don't live near the coast so should I try an open field with a 2/4 oz lead on. Any advice appreciated. John :help:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Its up to you at the end of the day mate, I have multis and fixed spools, I prefer multis but at times I can use my fixed spool set up when distance fishing isn't needed, all multis can be tamed so you can enjoy trouble free fishing and when you get more confident with it you can start taking the brakes off untill you can use it to its full extent. Its only my opinion but I know what I would be spending the money on, i'm quite sure you will get other peoples opinions, ive got 3 multis and 1 fixed spool, my next reel will be a multi.Go for a non levelwind version too, you can practice with it on a field or even a beach when you are next out fishing, good luck with whatever you choose.
The Wrassewrangler

Ken the PACMAN
Obsessed Poster

Postby Ken the PACMAN » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:01 pm

penn pusher wrote:Hi Ken Thanks for the info, would you suggest I look at something else for that kind of money, I have read a little about TFG rods and they are rated quite well for the money. Any advice appreciated. John :think:

If I was going to buy a rod in that price range I would have a close look at the Icon M sport Power or Match version available for around £125 but not the Ultra Power as that would be too powerful for your needs.
Live to Fish - Fish to Live
King Cod Swansea 2004
www.prescotanglingcentre.co.uk
0151-426-5011.
You can also find us on Facebook...just... Prescot Angling Centre.

Codswallop

Postby Codswallop » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm a novice fisherman, but on Saturday I bought a Penn Rampage Surf 13ft and I have used it once to fish and once to practice casting. Coupled with my Shimano Biomaster reel I was casting 150 yards towards the end of the casting practice with 5oz lead (no bait). I had 15lb cheap mono and used a tapered shock leader which helped I think. I then tried my cheap Shakespear rod and could manage 110 yards so the difference was noticeable. The rod also detected bites from 3 small Whiting that I caught at Caldy. I'm very please with it, but would also say there are many people on here with much more experience than I.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

penn pusher

Postby penn pusher » Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 am

Hi All, I just thought I should let you all know that I finally decided to go for the Penn Rampage 13 ft rod with a Penn 525 Mag 2 multi reel. I would like to say a big thanks to Ken at Prescot Angling for his advice and his patience. Also to Gazz3r for his suggestion of trying a multi which made me reconsider my thinking(cheers), also thanks to codswallop for his revue of the rampage(Which was honest and really helpful) . I will be practicing my casts in a field somewhere in Cheshire for the next few days, until I feel comfortable enough to travel to the coast and cast with confidence(which really means that I don't want to have a birds nest's every cast and a crack-off every other cast, and look like the bloke that everyone wants to avoid)!! I will keep you all posted on my attempts to cast over 150 yards....yes 150 yards..I have got the gear now lets see if I have got any idea. Cheers to Ken at Prescot Angling for the great deal and helpful advice. John :dance:

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Postby Willpower » Sun May 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Crack offs happen - I still manage two or three a season. There should be a T shirt saying such.
Load the line on the reel tight and even over the spool, wind the mag to fully on and then a steady cast with no jerks.

Return to “The Rod Room”