Fishing the Mersey help wanted

Discuss our sport, tell us where your going fishing, and then tell us what you caught.
Manofkent
Regular Poster

Fishing the Mersey help wanted

Postby Manofkent » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi I'm a Wirral forum virgin so be gentle with me please :D . Hi I'm hoping to fish somewhere on the Mersey in the next couple of weeks. I will be traveling up or along from Anglesey which ever way you see it.i have never in my life fished around the Merseyside area. I'm kind of thinking that a safe option seems to be town hall steps or around that area. There is a chance I will be fishing on my own so I'm kinda thinking will I be safe on my own or should I seek company for safety. Also where would you recommend to get bait for fishing as for some reason the local tackle shops around Anglesey don't have much fresh black (but saying that I can pump my own) also last thing where do you fellow angerlers reckomend safe parking. Thank you for any help you give :thumbsup:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: Fishing the Mersey help wanted

Postby Big Kev » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Contrary to popular belief you will not get raped or have your car stolen when fishing on Merseyside. If you are fishing tides of 28ft and over (Liverpool scale) you will prob be better fishing the Town Hall Steps...you can fish 3 up and follow the tide down to low,just be careful getting down the steps as they can be a bit slippy,but once on the beach you have no worries about gullies...alternatively you can fish @3 1/2 hours before low and fish it back up....the codling often feed as soon as you get on the bank,so it`s best to get there earlier rather than later.You can park by the Eggy Ferry pub,bottom of Tobin St, which leaves you just a 5 min walk to the mark.low water
Vale Park Bank is another good spot for codling,whiting n dabs,and i find it fishes best during January....you can often get out @ 3 1/2 hours before low and as with THS the codling often feed as soon as you get on the bank....don`t stay out for more than an hour after low water as the big deep gulley behind you will cut you off...downside to Vale Park is it fishes pretty poorly on the flood from the prom...parking is at the bottom of Magazine lane.
If you`re fishing neap tides then there`s plenty of codling to be had along Mariners Wharf and Otterspool You can fish the Liverpool side on bigger tides when it`s calm and has been dry for a while,but the weed n rubbish can be a nightmare at times even though you only need to cast short.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Manofkent
Regular Poster

Postby Manofkent » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for your information really helpful :thumbsup:

Manofkent
Regular Poster

Postby Manofkent » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:11 pm

i think im going to try vale park bank when i do get the chance to go just one question would i need waders to get across the gully from 3hrs down or would welly boots be fine to cross?

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Wherever you end up it`s highly unlikely you`ll be on your own...while there`s cod to be caught there`ll be anglers fishing at all hours of the day.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Manofkent wrote:i think im going to try vale park bank when i do get the chance to go just one question would i need waders to get across the gully from 3hrs down or would welly boots be fine to cross?

Waders are the best bet to get out asap,but you don`t have to wait much longer for wellies to be ok....

Manofkent
Regular Poster

Postby Manofkent » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Wouldn't be the first time I've fished with wet feet :p sorry I can't help with fresh water bay only ever fished from amlwch port and point lynas by the old pilot pier

Return to “Sea Fishing and Venue Questions”