help and advice

Discuss our sport, tell us where your going fishing, and then tell us what you caught.
codfarther71
Regular Poster

help and advice

Postby codfarther71 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:16 pm

hi guys we are a group of 4 guys who love sea fishing we usually fish the east coast from Whitby too the humber river with little success. so when I saw a post on the Holderness coast forum saying how good the fishing is in the Mersey so we want to give it a go. we come from chesterfield Derbyshire we are travelling down on the 03/12/16 so we are after advice where to fish? where to get bait ? and if anyone was planning on going fishing on that day and don't mind us tagging along that would be excellent!!!!!!!!

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: help and advice

Postby Big Kev » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:41 pm

I`ll get back to you tomorrow...
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:15 pm

I expect Kev will give you some good info. He usually does but here's a little bit to keep you going.....

Looking at the tides, neaps, for that weekend you've got a choice of venues but the usual local guideline is to fish the Liverpool side on smaller tides and the Wirral side on springs. Have a look at the venues section for Mariners or otterspool. Both are fairly easy access ( compared to Yorkshire marks) and particularly otterspool doesn't need a big cast as the deep channel is close in. there are marks on the Wirral side, just have a look at the venues section. It really depends on wether you're fishing high or low water but it does say in that section.

I can't help you with tackle shops on the Liverpool side other than the fact you could come into Liverpool so you pass taskers or possibly Prescott angling where Ken is always good for up to date info. On the Wirral side you could pass eastham tackle or the fisherman in Birkenhead and also tackle box in new Brighton which is close to marks like Wallasey town hall but you would obviously have to give them a call first to sort bait. There are others.

Lug and squid are what I've used this last few weeks.

Hopefully others can give more info but that gives you a starting point.

codfarther71
Regular Poster

Re: RE: Re: help and advice

Postby codfarther71 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 pm

iank wrote:I expect Kev will give you some good info. He usually does but here's a little bit to keep you going.....

Looking at the tides, neaps, for that weekend you've got a choice of venues but the usual local guideline is to fish the Liverpool side on smaller tides and the Wirral side on springs. Have a look at the venues section for Mariners or otterspool. Both are fairly easy access ( compared to Yorkshire marks) and particularly otterspool doesn't need a big cast as the deep channel is close in. there are marks on the Wirral side, just have a look at the venues section. It really depends on wether you're fishing high or low water but it does say in that section.

I can't help you with tackle shops on the Liverpool side other than the fact you could come into Liverpool so you pass taskers or possibly Prescott angling where Ken is always good for up to date info. On the Wirral side you could pass eastham tackle or the fisherman in Birkenhead and also tackle box in new Brighton which is close to marks like Wallasey town hall but you would obviously have to give them a call first to sort bait. There are others.

Lug and squid are what I've used this last few weeks.

Hopefully others can give more info but that gives you a starting point.

Thanks for the info very helpful looking at fishing high and low tides.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

willson
Super Poster

Postby willson » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:28 pm

You can fish otterspool all the way through the tides on the neaps. Worth having a search through last years reports. It should give you a few pointers.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:27 pm

High water on Sat 3rd is a 29.2ft SPRING tide which rules out the Liverpool side of the river...if it`s calm and we`ve had no rain,it is fishable but only for a short period if you cast short,other than that it will be pulling like a train with plenty of weed,which i doubt is what you will be looking for.
The best plan i can see is if you fish the flood from the prom at Town Hall Steps where you should have sport with whiting and dabs,plus the chance of codling...high water is 1.05pm so you can fish 3 up and 2 down. Park by the Eggy Ferry pub at the bottom of Tobin St CH44 8DF This will give you time to get something to eat from the high street before fishing the ebb at Vale Park... If i`m free on that Sat {birthday weekend)i`ll meet you at the shelter at the bottom of Magazine Lane (CH45 1HP) and fish it with you,so you don`t have any worries on getting out there...low water is 7.55pm so we`ll be looking at getting on the bank @ 4.30pm if you have chest waders...little later if you have thigh waders....generally fishes very well for whiting but can also be good for codling in the 2lb to 4lb range.
As for tackle shops you can have a look HERE i suppose the Tackle Box in Wallasey would be handiest,though i`ve never been there and don`t know how good his bait is...maybe someone from the wrong side of the river has better info on local shops.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 pm

:oops: :oops: well it's a good job Kev came along. I'm not sure where I went wrong as when I check my little book it says exactly what he does so the best I can say is thanks for putting me right Kev and I'm sorry lads for giving you a bit of duff info.

Hope you all have a good trip and tight lines.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:51 pm

iank wrote::oops: :oops: well it's a good job Kev came along. I'm not sure where I went wrong as when I check my little book it says exactly what he does so the best I can say is thanks for putting me right Kev and I'm sorry lads for giving you a bit of duff info.

Hope you all have a good trip and tight lines.

Old age Ian....happens to us all :doh: :D

codfarther71
Regular Poster

Postby codfarther71 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:53 pm

many thanks kev looking forward too it !!!!!!!!!!!! be good to meet you but understand with it being your birthday if you cant make it once again big thanks :thumbsup: .

Return to “Sea Fishing and Venue Questions”