casting distances

This is where we keep our old stuff
roger williams

casting distances

Postby roger williams » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Having played golf for about 30 years to a reasonable standard I'm well used to golfers claiming to hit the ball as far as Rory.
As a newbie to fishing my question is, does this happen with sea fishing and the length people cast. I've read on forums of people saying they cast 150 yards but having spoken to 2 owners of fishing shops it would appear that most people actually cast between 60 and 80 yards and this is all that's needed. Which is nearer the average?

Tight Lines
I Store My Nuts !

Re: casting distances

Postby Tight Lines » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:06 pm

I could always cast 120 to 150 yds until someone took me on the sand and measured it . . . . 85 yds at best :( (And that's plain bomb, no tackle).
But on the same day, after some tuition I made 105yds. After that I knew where I'd been going wrong and took up golf instead. (Only joking - golf bores me stiff).
I actually continued to improve in small steps to the point where I could chuck a bomb about 130 yds which meant a baited rig might make 90 to 100yds. I was happy with that.
I've not fished for a few years now so I'd probably struggle to hit 50 - 60 yds nowadays but you never know ;(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013 -Dab, Whiting

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:44 am

I remember when I started fishing many years ago I reckoned I was casting at least 120 yds, when I actually measured one it was only 80 yards, I was absolutely gutted. haven't measured a cast since but I reckon I can probably hit 100 yards now at best which seems to put me in the fish so thats far enough for me.
I really can hit a golf ball like john daly ( or is that Arthur daly).
gary

roger williams

Postby roger williams » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 am

Thats very reassuring. I thought it was only me!!! Talking of JD I was in the 18th grandstand at St Andrews when he won The Open the greatest sporting occasion in my 66 years. If fishing can get anywhere near that it will be worth learning

Return to “Archive”