Hermit Crabs

This section is for all your questions about baits...how to collect,store,prepare,use e.t.c
Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Hermit Crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:35 am

iank wrote:I've only got a small shrimp net but I've never had hermit crabs in any numbers while shrimping locally Ken, I did find a couple in whelk shells washed up while I was out getting some worm this morning so they are there but not enough to be a regular scource of bait for me and I'm too stingy to buy them.

just to follow up your story I know a fella that gets and processes crabs up on the Llyn. When he's doing dressed crabs he doesn't use the bodies or the bottom leg sections, these all go as bait to the lads who put out the whelk pots.

I have wondered for a couple of years about getting enough crabs off him to have a go at cart with the meat from the shell and then eat the claws, legs etc. But am not convinced enough to go to the trouble even though they use it with success up in Yorkshire and as you say, I'd prefer a good stock of peelers. I have seen odd people use it on the boat but I can't say it's been as successful as the usual lug and squid. I guess it's one of those, if enough people use it then it will catch and then more people will use it etc.

When you say he doesn't use the bodies do you mean he does't use the brown meat found inside ?
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:21 pm

No, a bit misleading sorry. He uses the brown meat out of the shell but not the white meat out of the part that the legs go into and holds the gills etc as its too fiddly and time consuming to be cost effective.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:55 pm

iank wrote:No, a bit misleading sorry. He uses the brown meat out of the shell but not the white meat out of the part that the legs go into and holds the gills etc as its too fiddly and time consuming to be cost effective.

Am I right in thinking that cart is all the gubbins from an uncooked crab ?
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:35 pm

While I've cooked and eaten plenty of crabs I've never tried them as bait like this but, yes I take it to be the brown meat out of the shell before it's cooked and apparently it's supposed to be better if you can get the females with coral. As an aside there is usualy more brown meat in a female. If you fancy a try I could get a few crabs next spring/summer and give it a go. We could use the rest as food.
I would imagine it could be a bit messy to do so I'll bring them to yours :lol:

Return to “Bait Questions”