Crab Husbandry

This section is for all your questions about baits...how to collect,store,prepare,use e.t.c
Big Kev
The Masterful One

Crab Husbandry

Postby Big Kev » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:35 pm

I tried it last year and again this year and i`m convinced that putting my bullet peelers in trays of wet griity sand (taken from the area where you collect your crabs) is giving them ideal conditions to go on and peel. I had 100 from last Sat and they are peeling very well with no dead loss at all. When i get home from work,i check them(take them out of their trays and rinse in a bucket of sea water) and give them a good drink of fresh sea water in another bucket for 30 mins,before returning them to their trays and cover them to keep them in darkness...kept in the garage they are nice and cool and seem to enjoy life :lol:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Crab Husbandry

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:41 pm

I take mine for a walk every night and they still still there being bullets :confused: Maybe I should talk nice to them and tell them they won't be getting a 3/0 through their ass. :think:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:I take mine for a walk every night and they still still there being bullets :confused: Maybe I should talk nice to them and tell them they won't be getting a 3/0 through their ass. :think:
love it :lol: :lol:

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 am

I use one of those long oblong pasting trays.I soak a couple of old tea towels in fresh sea water and place them on the bottom. Put crabs in and then another couple of soaked towels on top. I rinse the towels daily and redo. Only lost one crab this season. If I need to bring them on quickly I use a 15 litre paint tub half filled with sea water and I use a pump aerator and just leave them alone.
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Thu May 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Any other tips lads? I had around 10 crabs left that needed bringing on after last weeks collecting session and done pretty much what Kev mentioned in this post apart from keeping them in the dark and I probobly should have give them more of a drink each night. I lost 2 and all the others peeled nicely and frozen down wrapped in cling film unpeeled. Anyway I'm interested in what everyone else's techniques are please :?:
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Thu May 04, 2017 9:25 pm

The jury is out on peeling before freezing,or leaving in their shells. These days i prefer to peel and de-lung before freezing....de-lung because i did have a few a while back that turned black,so better to be on the safe side.....peel because i can`t abide having to peel crabs while i`m fishing.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod

Liphook

Postby Liphook » Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Excellent info gents :thumbsup: and a good laugh :D

Return to “Bait Questions”