Freezer Burn

This section is for all your questions about baits...how to collect,store,prepare,use e.t.c
Big Kev
The Masterful One

Freezer Burn

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Never had a prob before,but at the weekend i was down to my last 4 packs of lug,and when defrosted they were like rubber :doh: Think i`ll start giving them a final wrap or two with cling film to keep the air out,unless anyone has better suggestions :huh: I wont be buying a vaccuum packer :naughty:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Re: Freezer Burn

Postby Godders123 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:08 am

I've had the same problem in the past Kev. I tend to wrap mine in cling film now but on the odd occasion when I can't be a*sed I put them in a carrier bag and that seems to prevent freezer burn. That said they tend to be in my freezer for no more than 3 months so not sure whether they will last much longer. :think:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:11 am

After wrapping mine in news paper I always put them in the ziplock type freezer bags worms a year old are fine when they come out, :thumbsup: personally I would never put them straight in the freezer just wrapped in news paper :naughty:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 am

geddo wrote:After wrapping mine in news paper I always put them in the ziplock type freezer bags worms a year old are fine when they come out, :thumbsup: personally I would never put them straight in the freezer just wrapped in news paper :naughty:

Agreed. it's all about air-tightness. I use the ones from Ikea with the double zip seal on them and have frozen worm, crab and Mack all in top condition :)
Kev

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:09 am

I wrap mine first in a piece of damp newspaper.This ensures that the worms are frozen in a damp enviroment.I then wrap them in dry newspaper and finally in a big wrap of clingfilm which I put on as tight as possible.I also date code the wraps so I can rotate my stocks correctly.I worked in the frozen food industry for many years.One of our sister companies sold fish products.The items were first frozen and then dipped in water and frozen again.This produced a protective glaze which gave a shelf life of 12 months.I buy scallops and tiger prawns from the Thai cash & carry in Prenton and these are all dipped to give them a protective glaze.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:I wrap mine first in a piece of damp newspaper.This ensures that the worms are frozen in a damp enviroment.I then wrap them in dry newspaper and finally in a big wrap of clingfilm which I put on as tight as possible.I also date code the wraps so I can rotate my stocks correctly.I worked in the frozen food industry for many years.One of our sister companies sold fish products.The items were first frozen and then dipped in water and frozen again.This produced a protective glaze which gave a shelf life of 12 months.I buy scallops and tiger prawns from the Thai cash & carry in Prenton and these are all dipped to give them a protective glaze.
your right Steve I go to the Chinese supermarket on Derby road for my tiger prawn and there incased in ice, wouldn't fancy doing it with worms though :lol:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:29 pm

geddo wrote:
Steve Duffy wrote:I wrap mine first in a piece of damp newspaper.This ensures that the worms are frozen in a damp enviroment.I then wrap them in dry newspaper and finally in a big wrap of clingfilm which I put on as tight as possible.I also date code the wraps so I can rotate my stocks correctly.I worked in the frozen food industry for many years.One of our sister companies sold fish products.The items were first frozen and then dipped in water and frozen again.This produced a protective glaze which gave a shelf life of 12 months.I buy scallops and tiger prawns from the Thai cash & carry in Prenton and these are all dipped to give them a protective glaze.
your right Steve I go to the Chinese supermarket on Derby road for my tiger prawn and there incased in ice, wouldn't fancy doing it with worms though :lol:

Get a similar effect by wrapping them in a sheet of damp paper first. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:36 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:
geddo wrote:

Get a similar effect by wrapping them in a sheet of damp paper first. :thumbsup:

Might give it a go Steve next time I go :thumbsup:

Ken the PACMAN
Obsessed Poster

Postby Ken the PACMAN » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:07 pm

All our frozen peeler is in ice for the same reason and it keeps very well :thumbsup:
The best way for lug is the paper then clingfilm or vac pac method.
Live to Fish - Fish to Live
King Cod Swansea 2004
www.prescotanglingcentre.co.uk
0151-426-5011.
You can also find us on Facebook...just... Prescot Angling Centre.

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:24 pm

wobbler72 wrote:
geddo wrote:After wrapping mine in news paper I always put them in the ziplock type freezer bags worms a year old are fine when they come out, :thumbsup: personally I would never put them straight in the freezer just wrapped in news paper :naughty:

Agreed. it's all about air-tightness. I use the ones from Ikea with the double zip seal on them and have frozen worm, crab and Mack all in top condition :)

I'll second the ikeas ones. The bags a quite thick and can be reused.

I also put my crabs in the plastic tubs with the clip on lids your get Chinese takeaway in. I've also used them for worm, first gutted then dried a bit on newspaper before a quick roll in dry sand. They come out a treat but just take up more room in the freezer.
Double knackered

gmonkman
Obsessed Poster

Postby gmonkman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:31 pm

No need to paper, makes no difference for freezing. I put a worm on the film, wrap, add another worm, wrap, add another worm, wrap .. and usually do 20 or so at a time. Twist ends then elastic band up. Takes up a lot less space.

If you were really bothered you could use a bit of vegetable oil on the cling film - it all helps to stop air getting to the worm and stop water evaporating off.

I also out a layer of vegetable oil on top of my pots of mussels after the day after they have frozen - works a treat.
Make a difference - take home 1 piece of someone's angling litter next time you are out fishing.

Return to “Bait Questions”