Harbour Rag worm

This section is for all your questions about baits...how to collect,store,prepare,use e.t.c
Kev10
Regular Poster

Harbour Rag worm

Postby Kev10 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Happy New to you All,

Over the festive holiday I was watching a video on you tube about digging Harbour rag worms, I usually dig the blow lug in the estuary but fancy trying a different bait as I think the bait in the onsite shop is way over priced. So my question is is it possible to dig rag worms at Shell island harbour and if its not a secret can somebody point me in the the area as were to dig.

I wont be going till the second week in March so any helpful information or guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks All Kev.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Re: Harbour Rag worm

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Harbour rag (or Maddies) are a superb bait ..... but I doubt many people (if any) will give up their information on where to find them. But you can always find them for yourself.

Just have a mooch around at low tide. You're looking for a mix of gravel and silt / mud ideally. Look for small holes in amongst it, maybe 5mm across. Turn a forkful or two over and then start breaking up any bigger clumps with your hands to find them. Backfill what you've dug and carry on till you've got what you need. Only take what you need mind, because they won't keep forever, without a decent amount of care.

Good luck :)
Kev

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Tim AKA talkingbullhuss is your man for shell island

Kev10
Regular Poster

Postby Kev10 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks Wobbler72,

I just wasn't sure what to look for, Some helpful there. I'll certainly give it a go whilst I'm there. :thumbsup:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:24 pm

You can get them at Dove Point at Meols but it is incredibly muddy.Your profile doesn't say where you're based so its hard to be more specific.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Return to “Bait Questions”