HHBW - Tom Lynch Open - the Result

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

davie495
Obsessed Poster

HHBW - Tom Lynch Open - the Result

Postby davie495 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 pm

Sorry for the late post.

Fished the Holyhead and District Stenna Open bank holiday Sunday. 2 of the usual suspects also turned up, Mr Dave Radcliffe and Mr Dave Roberts of Summer league fame.

Small tide fishing from low water 4 hours up. all in was at 12:00 fishing until 16:00

Joined the line and drew my Peg - 40 for me. not a bad peg, up near the 2nd bend with 2 other anglers to my left (Mike Flynn again) and a space to my left so I had plenty of room to spread out.

All in was called and the best part of 60 anglers chucked cheap leads and rotton bottom rigs seaward. the weather was warm with a bit of a breeze.

First 3 casts I didn't get a rig back, likely due to the fact there was hardly any water under my peg due to low water being at 12:00. however then I had a productive couple of hours bagging 3 fish

A beautiful Cuckoo

Obligatory Dog

and a Chunky Ballan who gave a cracking bite litteraly seconds after the bait was in the water

Had 2 mackerel too, however these don't count, surprised I didn't get more, as all the way through the match the sea was literally boiling with fish (so I obviously went back the next day and bagged up some free bait and a spot of tea)

Alas that was it for me, a few missed bites, but not many rigs lost this year - the RBC solution to my rigs which was stolen from some of the Welsh lads from the previous year worked wonders keeping the majority of your gear up and away from the snag pit.

oh.. wouldn't be a day fishing without the to be expected explosion of one of my reels (thankfully I had 6 of them all spooled with 20 - 25lb line)

So the results - a cracking win for the North West for the Wirrals own Ste Bonner - much to the frustration of the Welsh boys :D Oh and take a look at Alan Prices Huss.... now how you get a 10lb huss up the wall with a continental rod and light line needs to be seen!.

For me I came about 20/21st with 125 cm no real improvement on last year, but happy enough. especially when a lot of anglers bailed out half way through and I came ahead of some really good anglers too!

Final standings

Ist. Steve Steven Bonner (dogs, smoothie & pollack) 412cms. £200 first prize and £159 super pool.
2nd James Fraser (dogs and huss) 403cms. £150.
3rd. Alan Price (dogs & huss) 382cms £100. Alan also won the £159 superpool for the longest fish with a huss of 95cms.
4th Gary Wood (dogs & pout)) 372cms £50

Next Year? Absolutely! a cracking bunch of lads, well organised and a good prize table

:wave:
Stu

2019 Species:[14] Codling, Ting, Dab, 3b Rockling, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, TB Ray, Bass, Smoothie, cuckoo, Ballan, LSD, weaver

2018:[14]
2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: HHBW - Tom Lynch Open - the Result

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Great report and pics Stu :clap: :clap: .Do you get pegged on the inner or outer wall ? Could you post a diagram of the RBC you used. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Outer Wall Steve. Inner wall would be a joy as its snag free and you still get a good haul of Dogs, Smoothies, Wrasse etc!

will have a crack at the rig diagram now
Stu

2019 Species:[14] Codling, Ting, Dab, 3b Rockling, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, TB Ray, Bass, Smoothie, cuckoo, Ballan, LSD, weaver

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Postby Seasicksteve » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Was wondering how the event went so thanks for posting and we'll done for entering davie :clap:. As I'm a bit of a scardie cat I wouldn't even consider fishing that top wall let alone attempting to guide a fish into a landing net 60ft + below me :?. Nice to hear our local lads doing the business :thumbsup:. I used to love fishing the breakwater when you could drive on and fish out your car, I guess stena allowed it on this occasion tho?, I had my biggest fish off the harbour side, a lovely Ray which I guess was into double figures ( no scales :doh:). I hope the mariner is starting to recover now after it got smashed up during that storm a couple of years ago.
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Seasicksteve wrote:Was wondering how the event went so thanks for posting and we'll done for entering davie :clap:. As I'm a bit of a scardie cat I wouldn't even consider fishing that top wall let alone attempting to guide a fish into a landing net 60ft + below me :?. Nice to hear our local lads doing the business :thumbsup:. I used to love fishing the breakwater when you could drive on and fish out your car, I guess stena allowed it on this occasion tho?, I had my biggest fish off the harbour side, a lovely Ray which I guess was into double figures ( no scales :doh:). I hope the mariner is starting to recover now after it got smashed up during that storm a couple of years ago.

Hi Steve. Yes Stenna open it up for the match and close it straight after. They do this maybe 2 or 3 times a year but only for the HH&D club matches.

No drop nets though. All the fish are hauled up the wall hence a decent 525 or Daiwa Saltist with a hefty drag (or drag the line through yourself to get it up) definitely a good work out either way.

Re. The marina, no work has started on it yet. Plans have been drafted so hopefully it won’t be long before it’s sorted (although the outer wall itself is struggling at the moment and in need of a lot of work to sure it up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Great report and some nice fish for your efforts Stu :clap: :clap:

GRAY70
Obsessed Poster

Postby GRAY70 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:45 pm

Great report and pics lovely Colours on the cuckoo :clap:

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Well done gents Bendigedig :thumbsup: it’s a tough venue.
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Good report Stu, some good pics too, yeh it can be hard there at times.
The Wrassewrangler

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”