Dads and Lads Weekend

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Dads and Lads Weekend

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Like many others, I’ve been guilty of not posting here lately, so here goes.

With a nice looking gap in the weather my son Mark, Grandson Jack and I got short notice pass outs from the FPO’s and heading up t9 Pwllheli on Saturday morning. We had no particular plan, other than to go fishing!

We had a chat in the car on the way up and the consensus was that we should stay in shore for the afternoon and go terrorise the Basslets. We would take advantage of the neap tide and head for Bardsey on Sunday. We made a quick call into Russ at Criccieth Tacklebox and pick up a few bits and pieces and we were all set.

Saturday afternoon was forecast to be force 4 winds from the North, which flattens to bays on the South coast (and also seems to improve air quality and visibility). So we grabbed the Bass rods and moseyed alone the coast dropping into the more secluded shallow bays in search of Bass. We didn’t connect with anything at our first calling point and moved further West. Here, we were straight into good sized Mackerel and small Pollack. The appearance of a few seal pups didn’t bode well but a few casts later I wheedled out our first Bass of the day. Mark got one soon after and then Jack hit a Gar (new species for him, he was delighted). The wind started to move around a little making it difficult to stay on the drift we wanted. However, we started to find some good sized Wrasse, which were great sport on light gear. 90mm FBM’s seemed be working best on the day. Jacks rod was 7ft long with a casting range of 1-14gms And was pulled into some impressive shapes by the 2lb Wrasse.

Before we knew it, it was 5.30pm and time to head back up the coast to port. A few beers and supper in the clubhouse soon hit the spot.

Sunday, we steamed straight out Bardsey. We put out one or two up rigs with soft plastics and a 100g pirks instead of a lead. Jack had two 2lb Pollack before Mark and I had even got a line in the water. And so it began, with a steady stream coming to the boat. We had Pollack to around 4lb. Here’s Jack posing with the typical stamp of Pollack

https://i.imgur.com/diP3CqV.jpg

We had Wrasse to a similar weight

https://i.imgur.com/WF3OBpy.jpg

We also had small Codling up to around 1lb and a few Bass, all on the same drift

https://i.imgur.com/bVe6dWw.jpg

As we lost the tide we moved around a little to see what else we could find. There a big shoal of small Coley at one spot.

https://i.imgur.com/RgQ4LpZ.jpg

Another new species for Jack so he was happy.

In amongst it all there were a couple of large pods of Dolphins that passed us throughout the day.

By mid afternoon we were tiring and decided to head back towards port, breaking up the journey for one more go at the Bass. We called in at a favourite mark of mine and had four Bass in 30 minutes. They were a slightly better stamp around 2-2.5lb, but still schoolies, so we called it a day. My personal highlight of the weekend came here as I sat at the helm and watched Mark and Jack simultaneously playing a Bass each off the back of the boat.

We lost count but it would be a fair guess to say that we had around 100 fish over the day. All caught on a lure of some description. All returned safely, with just a body piercing to show for the experience.

There were grins all round on the car journey back to the Midlands
Kev

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Dads and Lads Weekend

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Fantastic session Kev.Makes it all worth while. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:07 pm

nice one Kev good enjoyable family days out with plenty of fish :clap:

do you ever venture around the west side of the llyn like caple carmel / porth oer if so what's the fishing like compared to the shore fishing?
I fish for the enjoyment I get out of it and the sport the fish provide ?

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:47 pm

whistleing sands wrote:do you ever venture around the west side of the llyn like caple carmel / porth oer if so what's the fishing like compared to the shore fishing?

Hi Brian. I only ever really fished porth Dinllaen and Trefor regularly on the North coast so cant really comment.

All of what we caught on Saturday was in casting range of the shore though.

We also saw the water exploding from time to time just a few yards from shore in front of Pwllheli golf course, caused by Gars chasing baitfish. There certainly seems to be plenty about at the moment.
Kev

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Well done Kev and Family, some good Fish there :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Postby Seasicksteve » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Cracking report and pics kev :clap:
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

GRAY70
Obsessed Poster

Postby GRAY70 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Great family day out fishing your grandson is doing well :thumbsup:

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:36 am

Nothing better than fishing with the family, well there is bass fishing with them :lol:
memories that'll last a lifetime for them.
I'm down there October 1/2 term can't wait :D

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 pm

great report and pics Kev- what a fantastic day for the family, looks like you had decent weather too.

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Great report and session. What a cracking boys day out :clap:
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”