Formby last night 3/9/19

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Formby last night 3/9/19

Postby Seasicksteve » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Decided trying Formby with Lee last night after work. We were only supposed to be fishing it down (low 9.12pm 0.98m) but ended up fishing the flood til 1.40am :lol:. We got there at 5.45pm and fished it down to no avail. There was a lively south westerlie from the off and was producing a nice surf even on the ebb!. As it was a 9.5mtr tide I knew we wouldn't get long fishing in the gullies on the flood especially with the strengthening wind. It started raining at 10pm and didn't really stop until we were over the 3 gullies. With our backs to the incoming tide as the rain became horizontal my cree light began to fade but we percevered. My 4 oz lead with the grips on plus the wind and strong tide wasn't holding up so I shortened my 2 hook flapper snoods to avoid them tangling and put a 5oz lead on and aimed for the last gully. I was finally rewarded with a cracking pull down and was delighted to land a half decent silver
https://imgur.com/gallery/xWJjYiz
Bang on 2lb but felt/looked bigger taken on frozen black :D
I'll be back there over the weekend as I just love the anticipation of landing a decent bass and hopefully beating my p.b of 4lbs.

Seasicksteve :thumbsup:
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Formby last night 3/9/19

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Well done for sticking it out Steve. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:29 pm

nice one Steve :clap: :clap: keep at it you just never know when that better fish is yours.
DO YOU HOLD YOUR ROD OR PUT IT IN THE REST?

its strange how different areas of the Liverpool bay fish ?
on that side the reports are mostly of one or two better size fish per session that I have seen but you don't seem to get the small half pound to one pound fish that we get a lot of on the Wirral side? or do you ?

I am going to try and get out on the north west winds tomorrow night fishing it in during the darkness / see what's about.
I fish for the enjoyment I get out of it and the sport the fish provide ?

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Postby Seasicksteve » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm

I use a tripod or sand spike bri, sometimes if I'm getting a nibble ill hold rod up give it a couple of turns the wait until I can felt a decent tug then wind in m8. When conditions are less rough ( churning surf) and using my 11ft estuary rod I'll try holding my rod side on. With regards to different areas fishing good or bad I think what's available to the species we're targeting, the smoothound come in seeking the peeler may - Aug) the bass = blow/Black lug and maybe razors ( anyone had any joy using them for bass?) As the beaches are full of razor shells, I've had loads of schoolies at crosby this year bri all around 1/2 to 1lb Mark, your right about some bigger ones coming out Liverpool side , the only thing I can think of is maybe Crosby Formby beaches are more westerlie facing so when the wind is in the right direction it throws up a decent surf which the bass love as well as the beaches are strewn with casts. Maybe the groynes on Harrison drive alter the surf in a way the bass don't come into casting distance?. What I do know is that we are very lucky to have such great fishing on our doorstep :dance: :thumbsup:
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Nice silver steve. :clap:
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”