another lesson learned

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

another lesson learned

Postby whistleing sands » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:29 am

another valuable lesson learnt by a mistake ?
went out for blacks again today one and a half hours before low water bit of a struggle but managed to get just over quarter of a bucket of nice size blacks .

Mr Steve Duffy was also out and came over for a chat ? nice to speak to you again Steve after our quick chat Steve made his way back off the beach >

I stayed which is something I don't usually do at this stage of the tide as it had been flooding back in for a good hour ?

but with me being out pumping these last few days I was getting the blacks for my self and my brother so I thought I would make the most of it and stay a lot longer and follow the tide up the beach till it reached the top bank.

this is the lesson learnt about half an hour after Steve had gone out of sight as I was pumping got my way back up the bank when I started to notice that the blacks where tailing what I mean by this is they had their tails sticking out of the casts / haven't got a clue why they do this? but it also happens at Talacre when I pump for blacks their ? but never seen it happen here anyway with seeing this I started to pump straight over the cast about 3-4" down and BANG WORM VERTUALY EVERY PUMP it was that easy that I didn't even bother picking them up I just pumped 6-8 casts and then went back picking them up / with in 40 or so minutes I had a bucket full :dance: :dance: :dance: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgOStrr8EBo

funny thing this because yesterday as i was walking off the beach another bloke was just walking on the beach as he passed i said good morning and he then replied am a bit late? NOW WAS HE? OR DID HE HAVE MORE KNOLAGE THAN ME ON THE BEST TIME TO GET THE BLACK WORMS .

WE NEVER STOP LEARNING?
I fish for the enjoyment I get out of it and the sport the fish provide ?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: another lesson learned

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Interesting Brian.I didn't see that happening as I walked off but I did notice I was still able to pump some blacks further up the beach.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

briden

Postby briden » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Regarding the best time.Getting to the beach an hour before low ,was how you needed to do it when we used to dig the black worms,the difference between digging and pumping is that as a competent digger you get a worm each cast ,right through the tide and as with pumping the worm are easier on the flood,but the time to dig each worm does not vary that much.So you would need at least a couple of hours to get a worthwhile bucket,top diggers getting 400 + on a big tide.
Now I know in the springtime when you get the big hits with a pump it can be a worm a cast, but once the worm have settled down later in the year in my experience the worms are much harder to get on the ebb than the flood,I would say pumping 400 worms it would be a 150/250 split between the ebb and flood.Just to qualify this I am talking about using an alvey50mm pump.
Over 30 years ago.So I would say if you are not a full time pumper you would pump more worms arriving at low water and pumping the flood as long as you could if the beach is safe enough to do this on.Just an aside on pumping when we started to use the pumps we always pumped at least 3 times each cast if you didn't get the worm first pump before moving to the next cast now I see lots of people just try once if they don't get worm move to the next cast,this kills a lot of worms.Last year on a big tide I went to dig whites on a heavily pumped beach,the amount of dead lug buried beneath the sand surprised me however the bonus was this seems to provide a food source for the snakes.Iit may be worth taking a fork next time you go pumping and spend 20 minutes at slack water trying for them

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for that info Bri. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Briden
hear what you are saying / but me personally i am glad things have moved on especially with the new slimline pumps ? I started out using a grafter spade for digging both lug types and a folk for ragworm / glad I don't have to use them now. :dance:

still quite a few beds of whites around local but I don't match fish so haven't collected them for years .
in saying that though they do last very well in silica sand from the aquarium shops and a bit of sea water in a fridge? might have a go next year again

you will know what I mean by this did you tread for them like red rag or just trench ?

theirs a lot more bait than you can see on the surface of our beaches :think: :thumbsup:

cheers Brian

briden

Postby briden » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:41 pm

With the whites I used to just trench round the base of the tube worm mounds I also found a few spots while digging on the big tides for blacks, sewage out falls were also a good place but the EU stopped councils dumping their oops on the beaches
I was quite surprised how many I got last year just trenching at random along the low tide line.I agree about the slimline pumps.The original alvey killed your back if the slim lines hadn come along there's no way I would still be pumping now.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Thats a proper bucket full that Brian :D
The Wrassewrangler

wrasseman
Regular Poster

Postby wrasseman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 pm

as always, some great info thanks from all us over 60's learners

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Hoylake is the only place i see worms tailing and it`s a bit creepy when you first see it :lol: I always tend to get down a bit handy,mainly because i hate waiting in the house and prefer to have a wander on the beach...sometimes the worms cast early and you can crack on,while at other times,especially at Ainsdale,it can be dead low water before the casts show....one thing i do find,at Hoylake in particular,is areas of very shallow mud are very productive compared to sandy areas.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:59 am

Kev where I pump at hoylake towards the island you don't get any mud but you do have a lot of run-offs that produce very well and can be very easy going / as for the tailing thing see it a lot at Talacre?

I started my black collecting out from derby pool using a grafter spade sadly them beds are well depleted now.

Talacre if a fantastic place to get blacks very easy pumping / the beds are massive by the light house same thing as you say large patches of thin mud
you can get a very large volume of worms at talacre and some nice big ones like hoylake BUT AGAIN MOST TIME WHEN I HAVE PUMPED NO ONE TO BE SEEN?

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:25 am

wrasseman wrote:as always, some great info thanks from all us over 60's learners

sorry don't know you name just your user name.
but thanks for the reply I a happy to give as much information that I have to any one [hate all till its a secret thing]
I learnt what I know form other willing and sharing anglers that I have fished with over many years / and just stopping when out fishing and chatting to other anglers on the venue I would be fishing.

you can also In my opinion learn a lot from just watching other anglers fishing by you ? how they are fishing / what setup they are using / and how they are fishing
I will quite often when fishing with someone new pay more attention to how they fish rather than my own fishing like I say amazing what you can take from it?
:thumbsup:

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:56 am

Looking for a new pump after I kayaked over to the revetment wall sand Bank looking for blacks thought I'd find an untapped resource but there were non there :? so carried on fishing it was only after I got ashore I realised I'd knocked it overboard or left it on the bank :(
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a new one or are the Aveley slims still the best(well that's what I had and got on with) so still have my wide bore but that's just gruelling :roll:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:52 am

I`ve had my Kimera for years,so i`m not up to speed on the best on the market....a lot use the slim alveys so they must be ok :think:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:24 am

Not much to touch the slim line Alveys.Easy to get spares if needed,although I've had mine for years and all I've replaced are the bungs every year or so. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:55 pm

I use a "matchman" slimline 22mm pump,very easy on the body!Think they are no longer in production,if you can source a decent second hand one? :D

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”