how i prep and freeze blacks and blow lug

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Sean_D

Re: how i prep and freeze blacks and blow lug

Postby Sean_D » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 am

Great post thanks Brian... I've failed miserably to freeze down any worms I've managed to pump... definitely going to try your approach next time I go..

I've been going to leasowe bay for mine... hit and miss with the blacks... and last couple of visits have been a struggle... most likely my technique and the location... gonna try again on Saturday... cheers

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:44 am

Big kev used to post and take people out / which I always thought that was I nice touch from him to share his time and knowledge :clap: :clap: :clap:

the beds you are going to used to be good years ago ? but got dug out.
still quite a few out from derby pool on big spring tides below 1.0 but are very hard going if you are just learning./ hoylake is the same.

I would always suggest any one new to start off at talacre its very easy for the new to pumping blacks due to the very easy going ground ?no real effort in pumping so you can learn and pump like mad.

again the tides needed are 1.0 or below to get on the black beds / area is by the light house.

the next tides for pumping blacks are at the end of the month ? I will see if I can arrange a weekend where a few experienced and anyone who wants to come along and learn have a go?

cheers brian.
I fish for the enjoyment I get out of it and the sport the fish provide ?

Sean_D

Postby Sean_D » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am

That sounds great Brian... I'd be up for learning if that went ahead... I'll keep an eye out for the dates you suggest...

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Great videos Brian,can you suggest a suitable vacuum sealer?Not cheap but I imagine a well worthwhile investment!

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Old Penn wrote:Great videos Brian,can you suggest a suitable vacuum sealer?Not cheap but I imagine a well worthwhile investment!

Keep an eye on aldi and lidl websites.They often have them for sale.I'm sure I've seen them for less than £20.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Cheers Steve,are you confident using re frozen razorfish?Just started using it and hear that some anglers prefer stale neglected specimens!

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:
Old Penn wrote:Great videos Brian,can you suggest a suitable vacuum sealer?Not cheap but I imagine a well worthwhile investment!

Keep an eye on aldi and lidl websites.They often have them for sale.I'm sure I've seen them for less than £20.

nice one Steve only thing I can add to that is if possible get one that will take the embossed bags
the reason being the bags are cheaper to buy and a much larger size range like the long bags for the likes of mackerel
from https://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/vac ... =cpc&uthan

another addition is if you put the likes of crab/razor/clams/squid in them then firstly put the bait in soft sandwich bags squeeze any air out and knot the bag then vacuum seal other wise the vacuum sealer will draw all the cent and moisture out and the seal won't last in the freezer.

have a look at my video freezing peeler crab

PS my vacuum sealer was a mid price range one still going years later. / it a food sever ? internet has loads of sellers.

wrasseman
Regular Poster

Postby wrasseman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:29 pm

great info,thanks for taking the time and effort with the videos. I'm 60yrs old and only started pumping over the last few years, uptil then only dug fresh blow/yellowtails, I'm still learning to pump but after the hard work, preserving the fruit of my labours is essential so will give your methods a try.
I must admit though it does seem like you are slow cooking and dehydrating the worms with the hairdryer and the same might be done easier in a microwave on low power so might try that too and compare results.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:24 am

wrasseman

please do and let us know your results? her in doors would kill me doing them in the microwave :naughty: :naughty: :help:
I just mess and tinker around with things some work some don't?
thing can have a very fine line between some thing being a success and something being a disaster .

like you say so many various ways to this dry for a few days and wrap in news paper / salt them / blanch them / microwave them and so on.

all I can say from my part is even the worms that self gut them selves usually have flat parts and concave bit ? but when I do what I do in the video the worm returns back to being nice and straight and fully round again?
my way is just the best way I have come up with to date as regards presentation and keeping some form of cent in them and not just a skin.

but as said if anyone dose it different then please share

cheers brian

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”