how i prep and freeze blacks and blow lug

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

how i prep and freeze blacks and blow lug

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:12 pm

sorry if this is in the wrong place but when I clicked on the bait section ? nothing their.

I do these videos so I can pass on the knowledge and information I was given by older anglers when fishing with them as i was growing up.
plus what I have learnt my self over the years.

this one is how I do my black lug after many years of collecting and experimenting on the best way possible to achieve a top end product ? this is the best way I have of doing it have a look.
link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=novQ_2UquQ8

I have also done one on blow lug after many years of trying all sorts of things this finally works for me.
link to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ic_JNGPS8

what you need to do it yourself
paper kitchen roll or paper window cleaning roll
cheap soldering iron
the wife's hairdryer :shock:
cling film
AND PATIANCE AND TIME

if you have any questions ask away
before its said i have just tried using the hairdryer with out first using the soldering iron ? / i don't get the same results.

cheers brian/whistleingsands.
I fish for the enjoyment I get out of it and the sport the fish provide ?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: how i prep and freeze blacks and blow luig

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Very interesting Brian.Less messy than blanching them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Will give it a try. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Postby Seasicksteve » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:43 pm

That's a fantastic post Brian :clap:, I've only been pumping for a couple of years and I pump blows at low then have enough for a session fishing for the bass, when I see a blacklug cast I don't bother as I havnt got the jist to get them yet, tbh I only go for blow on Crosby as the beach is full of them. I think I have to use a different technique to get the blacks and am looking forward to collecting and preserving them for the cod season forthcoming but as I can get the blow out I was mostly interested in the blows. As you said the majority of anglers will say blow can't be preserverd but as you have demonstrated they can . Just one question if I may, in your blow vid after drying and soldering ironing them you mention oil? Can you reiterate on that please? Again thanks for sharing as it pains me to spend money on frozen (fresh isn't allways available) that is flat as a witches boob or mushy when unrapping upon a fishing session

Seasicksteve :thumbsup:
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:09 pm

steve
in reply to your questions the blow lug video is older than the blacks video ? I don't show my self using the hairdryer on them ? I now do this the same as the blacks.

as regards the oil comment I have squid and krill oils that I use on some plus I have also used crisp & dry cooking oil both can give you an edge ?
I mainly use the oil when targeting the likes of dogfish huss and wrasse whiting ect it gives off a nice slick. you can do the same with blacks

regarding the pumping of blacks NO ONE GETS THEM EVERY PUMP .
pumping blacks is a numbers game the more you pump the more you get and the gain experience .
I have even see professional black collectors struggle at times / when you are on a beach with black casts you can pump 2 or 3 dead easy then move 5 foot away and get nothing for you effort /
also their is no set method to a pumping success you have to find your own way of getting them through trill and error? some pump 3-4" away from cast others go straight over the cast ? many ways of getting the same end result.
weather plays a big part as well / I also find that the first 3 big spring tides of a morning produce much better than the evening or last big spring tides.

I know a lot of people off this site go pumping I would suggest if you can tag along with some of them ? much better to watch than read how its done
you will see what depth the pump goes down and see how the different ground can be pumped .

AS YOU SAY SHOP BOUGHT BAIT IS VERY POOR / ALL ABOUT THE MONEY / PROFIT ? NOT QUALITY

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Postby Seasicksteve » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:27 pm

Ahh right OK thanks, I'll join up with anyone going out to formby/Ainsdale for blacks, I suppose once you get the knack I hope they will be easy to get :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:38 pm

steve
what I should of added to the reply is what washers have you in your pump are they still the original ones if so ?
I would also suggest going to one of the winter league matches and getting one of the lads to set you up with some silicone washers of about half inch thick.
I am sure one of them would help you.

or next time you are out fishing on the Wirral let me know by putting a post up and I will come down and set your pump up with the washers we use? Same set up for blacks and blows just slacken the tension right off for getting the blows.

cheers brian

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:21 am

Excellent videos Brian :clap: thanks for the info :thumbsup:
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

andyk

Postby andyk » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:05 am

Fascinating stuff.

These days I'm only a holiday angler as I live 180 km from the nearest Atlantic beach. I still dig my own black and blow lug the hard way. I can usually manage 3 or 4 dozen blacks, enough for a few sessions. There is an immense satisfaction in digging your own bait.

Has anyone on here preserved fresh black lug in vacuum packs ? I've often thought of trying, not to preserve it for months but to have on hand in the fridge for a week or so.I guess fresh sand-eels and razor could be kept fresh for a few weeks in the same way. I've kept blow lug healthy in the fridge for a week in newspaper; changing the newspaper a couple of times. The worms become thinner but generally last very well.

GRAY70
Obsessed Poster

Postby GRAY70 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:31 am

Like you say Bri you have to keep trying different things to see what works best in bait collecting and your fishing..
But for me I have found a easier way for doing my bait and it does save a lot of time just let your brother get it for you :lol: :lol: :lol: will look forward to trying them now i have time :thumbsup:
Last edited by GRAY70 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Re: how i prep and freeze blacks and blow lug

Postby whistleing sands » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:33 am

andyk

I vac pack all my frozen baits / regarding the blacks / I have put blacks fresh un-gutted blacks in a sandwich bag and then vac-packed them it works well and you can keep then for up too 12 months easy . / the down side is when defrosted they are still the same as when they went in the bag
but with being soft just like blows they are ok for close in fishing but if you have to put power in to the cast it will blow them apart .

to be honest its easier to just do what I have done in the video.

by the way buying a vac-pack machine is money very well spent for us anglers preserves you bait perfectly .

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 am

grate vid brian :thumbsup: totaly agree with the vac pack my ones from last march are still in 100 %
perfect condition i wrap in paper just before freezing then wrap in cling film then vac pac them :thumbsup:

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm

GRAY70 wrote:Like you say Bri you have to keep trying different things to see what works best in bait collecting and your fishing..
But for me I have found a easier way for doing my bait and it does save a lot of time just let your brother get it for you :lol: :lol: :lol: will look forward to trying them now i have time :thumbsup:

hahaha yes when am old and grey its going to be all down to you to get the bait so I can just fish ? hope its good stuff

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 pm

Excellent stuff

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:11 pm

any questions ?
here's one thing you might come across if you do your worms the same way as in the video? / I have had a couple of worms that don't fully go black when I use the hairdryer?
reason for this is it will have a pocket of water in it? where the worm is thickest .
remedy is to either oops the area with a needle or the point of a Stanley knife blade the excess water will then come out and your worm should now go black.

regarding the hairdryer hold it about 8-10" above the worms and have it on the high heat with med blow speed ?
if you can smell the worms as if they are being cooked then hairdryer in to close to the worms.
when you are done the worms must be a dull black colour any shiny bits means it is still containing moisture?
if anyone dose have any questions please ask or send me a PM

cheers brian.

mark davies
Regular Poster

Postby mark davies » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Great video I tried vac pac fresh but turned them to mush so I froze some individual fresh blacks then placed on a piece of card and vac packed them they look okay but not defrosted any yet to see the results but I will definitely give your method ago

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”