outsider looking in

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

outsider looking in

Postby whistleing sands » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am

I have not been on this forum for some years? / and having looked in I am shocked at the lack of reports and discussions /

I originally left this forum and just started doing videos on youtube doing my own thing ? I fish for any size fish in any form of fishing so long as I am enjoying it .
I am still doing and enjoying it / I am not one that just fishes to get a picture .

IT WOULD BE A SAD DAY IF THE LIKES OF THEASE FORUMS WHERE TO DISSAPEAR
so for those of you that visit this site try and get it going again? you can get just as much enjoyment out of helping other and having discussions over topics as you can catching fish / without information non of us would improve are fishing

I still visit the world sea fishing forum from time to time and that still seems to be going strong where others are standing still I think its due to having more discussion sections that a large volume of anglers visit every day and post questions and information they require over many topics outside catch reports.
JUST MY THOUGHT after seeing this site after a long time may be the likes of big kev or steve duffy or godders as mods could do something along the same line.
like I say it would be a shame to see sites like this suffer in my eyes as they are our go to place for the young and ever learning anglers to improve on their own fishing.

you will not get the same freedom of information from the likes of facebook they are all about look at me and what I have caught.

SAVE THEAS SITES ANGLERS? :help:
I fish for the enjoyment I get out of it and the sport the fish provide ?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: outsider looking in

Postby Steve Duffy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:40 pm

Good to hear from you Brian.We have over 2000 people registered but as you can see very few people post reports.I would estimate that most of the people on the forum rarely go fishing any more hence no reports.Social media has a lot to answer for,with people posting and getting an immediate response on the likes of facebook. I joined in 2003 and along with others have tried to help out with the running of the forum.I am more selective now with my fishing but still post reports so people know what's happening.Big Kev has left the forum and I haven't seen Godders around for a while.We have a good group of lads who fish the winter and summer leagues but as for the rest of the members I wouldn't know them if I was fishing next to them.Most people use Google these days if they want to check things out,methods,tackle reviews,it all there in an instant.A lot of people stopped posting reports when Photobucket started charging but we did point people in the direction of Imgur which is easy to use and does the same job as P.B but is free.I don't know what the answer is Brian,but I will continue doing what I can for the forum.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:26 pm

yes Steve totally see what you are saying
I am still in touch with some of the existing members but its hard to get out for fishing sessions / we all have our own priorities and family things to do and a short time to do them in.

I would not know how to go about keeping fishing forums going either / the only thing I can point out is like a said world sea fishing has this section
that is very popular and updated every day with interesting topics and discussions no photo host needed. we can't learn and improve by looking at some one else's picture.
General Sea Angling
Discussions: 18,506
Sub-Forums: 1
Latest: Mackerel handling....
Kickmuck, Today at 10:46 AM
RSS

Shore Angling
Discussions: 1,219
Latest: Rod handling.
nottah1, Today at 12:42 PM
RSS

Sea Angling Competitions
Discussions: 56
Latest: A question about buckets
Shirleycodlin, Sunday at 8:00 PM
RSS

Float Fishing Forum
Discussions: 102
Latest: Mussels
fman, Yesterday at 8:07 PM
RSS

Mullet Anglers Forum
Discussions: 138
Latest: Still learning!
Mullet Mick, Yesterday at 6:57 AM
RSS

Ultralite Bait Forum
Discussions: 16
Latest: Today I learnt
Joe_Moray, Aug 6, 2019
RSS

Flatfish forum.
Discussions: 36
Latest: Can anyone identify this flatfish please?
x525, Today at 10:51 AM
RSS

Casting
Discussions: 6,500
Latest: AKS CAGE OR ROCKET REEL CAGE
southshoreangler, Today at 12:34 AM
RSS

Beginners and Improvers
Discussions: 4,038
Latest: Newbie Question
NIrishDane, Yesterday at 11:50 PM
RSS

Bait Discussion
Discussions: 6,340
Latest: Which one bait do you have no luck with yet others do??
Sparlash, Today at 9:50 AM
RSS

Cooking your catch
Discussions: 1,422
Latest: Fish for the dinner table.best and worse?
G.Shaw, Monday at 12:03 AM
RSS

Species Hunt 2019.
Discussions: 40
forums have gone like the fishing venues their was a time when anglers would chat with each other during and after fishing sessions and valuable information was taken in and passed on / now it seem every body is fishing a secret venue or special fish catching rig and reluctant to say anything of any meaning.

as for the social media sites DON'T get it my self.

I truly hope this forum dose pick up and anglers realise forums and discussions have more to offer than social media posts that just get hijacked and move off in different direction away from the original point very quickly.

I will have a chat with others and put my money where my mouth is and contribute to the forum / WE NEED THEM.
cheers brian.

Crossbones
Obsessed Poster

Postby Crossbones » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Your first couple of paragraphs sort if nailed why WSF is quiet.

There are so many fishing related avenues to choose from (Youtube etc) that Wirral SF has to share anglers time with more and more alternatives.
World SF, as the name implies has a wider audience (700 on line right now) and gives a greater perspective and range of discussion.

I check both a few times week and do enjoy this site immensley (I miss the reports map bit though). Hopefully it will keep going...
Simon

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Sadly the forum will never change.We don't have enough active members to have discussions.As I said earlier if I want to know something I will just google it as it provides an instant answer.Over the years every topic under the sun has been discussed on this forum.On WSF someone asked what is the best eating fish? Why would you do that? The fun is going out and catching a few fish and try them for eating.The forum is was it is and I don't think it will change.I think we are all discussed out.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Seasicksteve
Regular Poster

Postby Seasicksteve » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi all, I've been sea fishing since 2003 and have followed the site since. I mainly fish local ( Crosby, Formby, both sides of the river Mersey) as we are very lucky to have have such a diverse area to fish (winter/summer marks 12 months of the year) which is on are doorstep. I firstly want to thank everyone that has posted on wsf over the years as its good to know we're LOCAL MARKS are fishing well or not. I visit the site every day and have met a lot of you guys over the years at local marks. I havnt joined/posted on here as I only get out once a week and didn't I had enough to share but this post has persuaded me to. I agree that if I have a rig/bait/tactic query I will use Google. I don't use Facebook/social media so wsf in my opinion is invaluable so I'll start posting catch/blanking reports as I feel I owe it to this site. Thanks and will start sending catch reports soon

Seasicksteve
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Seasicksteve wrote:Hi all, I've been sea fishing since 2003 and have followed the site since. I mainly fish local ( Crosby, Formby, both sides of the river Mersey) as we are very lucky to have have such a diverse area to fish (winter/summer marks 12 months of the year) which is on are doorstep. I firstly want to thank everyone that has posted on wsf over the years as its good to know we're LOCAL MARKS are fishing well or not. I visit the site every day and have met a lot of you guys over the years at local marks. I havnt joined/posted on here as I only get out once a week and didn't I had enough to share but this post has persuaded me to. I agree that if I have a rig/bait/tactic query I will use Google. I don't use Facebook/social media so wsf in my opinion is invaluable so I'll start posting catch/blanking reports as I feel I owe it to this site. Thanks and will start sending catch reports soon

Seasicksteve

Nice one Steve. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Jimeee

Postby Jimeee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Strange this post has came up. I am an avid reader of the site but hardly get out fishing. The reason I say it's strange, I have been convinced in the last couple of months that since BigKev left the site has died.
Jimmy.

gilly111
Obsessed Poster

Postby gilly111 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:44 am

People leave because nothing to keep them on here no meets no competition no events just smoothounds and perch rock same old same old but that's life Facebook has a lot to answer to :huh:
2015 kayak fishing
Watch this space

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:02 am

gilly111 wrote:People leave because nothing to keep them on here no meets no competition no events just smoothounds and perch rock same old same old but that's life Facebook has a lot to answer to :huh:

We run at least 20 matches over the year with the summer and winter leagues.All are welcome.It is not hardcore match fishing.We leave that for the pro's.Its just the chance to get together and put the world to rights.Feel free to arrange a meet if you like Gilly. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

micky bay

Postby micky bay » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:00 pm

i check this site once or twice a week to see whats going on and there arent many posts i suppose i am as guilty as anyone for not posting but i dont post pictures of fish or venues anyway as most of us have seen it all before i also check angling addicts north west reports and usually after the weekend there are several reports but apart from a couple of anglers who move around the bay (morecambe) and some mersey reports its mostly the wall at blackpool but you might want to give it a look there are some good descriptive posts on there cheers mick :thumbsup:

Squidmac
Regular Poster

Postby Squidmac » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm

This is a great site , I regularly check at least twice a week, I would be genuinely gutted if it was to go. I have followed this site at least 15 years . Great knowledge and advice , I will try and post in future whenever possible . I genuinely enjoy the very detailed reports people post on the site , especially due to the fact with 3 young kids I rarely get the chance to get out fishing myself so second best is reading reports on the site. I suppose if more posts would be better for the site. Even a brief paragraph is better than nothing ( when, were , what ect) . However I do genuinely love reading the local reports posted by local anglers . Thanks for everyone who has posted over the years , some great reads . Personal favourite being paul tuckers tope last month , fish of a life time :dance:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Squidmac wrote:This is a great site , I regularly check at least twice a week, I would be genuinely gutted if it was to go. I have followed this site at least 15 years . Great knowledge and advice , I will try and post in future whenever possible . I genuinely enjoy the very detailed reports people post on the site , especially due to the fact with 3 young kids I rarely get the chance to get out fishing myself so second best is reading reports on the site. I suppose if more posts would be better for the site. Even a brief paragraph is better than nothing ( when, were , what ect) . However I do genuinely love reading the local reports posted by local anglers . Thanks for everyone who has posted over the years , some great reads . Personal favourite being paul tuckers tope last month , fish of a life time :dance:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Postby whistleing sands » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:22 pm

my post seems to have sparked some interest? GOOD
That is all a forum needs is interest / be it reading and looking at catch reports / videos of a fishing session / asking questions on any subject / or advice on bait .

Sorry I don't recognize any of the reply names apart from Steve / but as you have mentioned if you just look in and don't leave a comment then it dose look like the site has gone quiet and has no interest?

as regards other forums some are updated regular on some topics? / but from what I have seen most of the catch report section are all slow across all sites. TRUE REASON FOR THIS ?

I understand what others are saying about the same old topics.
but for me this is what will keep forums going because if you attract new and young members they will always be asking them same old questions? and if they feel they can't ask them questions then they will just google it without any stick involved.
I think fishing is so complexed with so many things changing daily you have to keep learning ? I can fish my local beach on one day and catch 20 flatfish go back the next day and only get one or blank that's why we ask questions .

I have been fishing for years and years . I am still learning and improving on things I do / I will even admit to doing and trying some silly things in order to gain more knowledge and improve my own fishing nothing wrong in this at all I think / standing still gets you know where ?

as mentioned we are very lucky as anglers in the north west to have such good bait opportunities on our local beaches / so bait question will always be asked.

as for social media NO COMMENT.
YouTube is probably more popular than anything but the down side of this is when you do search something you only get directed to the channels that support adds and are heavily subscribed first / but if you spend sometime you can get on fishing channels that are really good and interesting to watch / and if you a lucky enough you will find some that are local to where you fish.
so this would be another way for members to help the forum and keep it interesting .
most of us now have a smart phones with camera if you video parts or all of you fishing session then post it to youtube that is free also you can either keep them private or go public / but most important you can attach them on the forum with no need for picture hosting / I also assume most visit the site from computers where again you can turn pictures into slide shows / just another way of making thing more interesting

Patriot
Obsessed Poster

Postby Patriot » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:15 pm

I've been fishing the area for 30 years and registered and started posting on the forum a few years ago

For my part, i fish all of the WSF Winter League events but due to other commitments (golf/mountain biking) my summer fishing is very limited these days. I registered for the summer league in the hope i would get to one or two, in particular Talacre, but alas competing outside interests.

Still got to Talacre on my own a couple of times and had the best smoothhound sessions ever!

I still read the reports, but it looks that there are a lot less then there used to be. There tends to be more in the winter. Hopefully that continues

But...the quality of the reports are far better, in my opinion. Lot's of the world seafishing posts are along the lines of "fished that secret location last night...." and "my mate and i fished a mark i knew years ago" etc. I've always found on this site that the anglers are prepared to share a lot more information. Yes, Perch Rock, Talacre and Vale Park always get a report on here, but there is a reason for that - they produce less blanks!

Plus there are so many very good anglers fishing the WSF leagues that don't fish the "super leagues" - they are always prepared to share thoughts and help others.

Steve Duffy is a very helpful resource on here - he's always first to reply on the forum. And his leads are the best :D

Adam Roper has been running the Winter League for a few years now and it's a really well organised event. I would encourage any angler who wants to learn more, or who is already an accomplished anger, to join the forum and attend some of the league matches. No superstars, just a great bunch of lads who want to go fishing. I've had more than my fair share of blanks in the matches, but still enjoyed the company and the day out. And of course, those attending the matches then tend to arrange their own meets at Otterspool etc (where i'm never comfortable fishing on my own)

Very good anglers are still putting excellent reports up - Paul Tucker, Jamie, Steve Atkinson, Roy etc (sorry if i missed quite a few!), And that guy in the kayak!
And myself, i struggle with getting fresh bait for the winter leagues but Adam, Dave Roberts and Dave Radcliffe always provide quality bait without fail

The reports from the league matches are always very good - i don't think i've seen another forum with reports and photos of the quality that is posted on WSF. I fish Arbroath/Montrose area ever winter - try getting some help off the local forums up there. Best of luck with that

Not a rant, just an opinion.

Wondered where Kev was, had'nt realised he was'nt on the forum any longer
Only here for the cod!

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”