Tope Chaos Down the Llyn

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Tope Chaos Down the Llyn

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am

Mark, Jack and I got a pass out on Saturday. We decided to keep it simple. Mooch around close in for Bass and Mackerel and then, once the tide turned, anchor up for a few hours for a Tope.

It was a nice, relaxing morning. No Bass, but plenty of good sized Mackerel and a few shoals of Sand-eel. We got ourselves set up, and moved offshore a little.

Once anchored we dropped a fresh Mackerel flapper to get some scent in the water. Seven year old Jack carried on with small Sabiki’s looking for Bream and Mackerel.

The Tope bait went first, after barely a minute or so in the water. I carried on baiting up and dropping a second flapper in the hope there would be more than one about. I really needn’t have worried! Because what followed was utter chaos!!

The second Tope bait was taken within seconds of hitting bottom. Mark and I played them up to the boat. Jack took a quick video

https://share.icloud.com/photos/05WXSSj ... e9-g#Wales

He had to cut it short as he had a bite of his own. And so it was for the new few hours.

Jack had a Mackerel, a dogfish or a small Huss every drop, except for one when he bought up a Scad. Another new species for him, so he was delighted.

The Tope baits were never down for more than a few minutes before they were taken. They ranged from around 25lb to pushing 40lb. And they seemed particularly feisty too. A few came up tailed wrapped, which never normally happens. Lots of rigs got destroyed as hook lengths got chewed and we cut out the odd tangle.

Two hours later it was time to go. In truth, we lost count how many we bought to the boat. It was probably 20 or so. Jack even had one take a small strip of Mackerel on his Sabikis before it bit him off.

I thought fishing was supposed to be a leisure activity!!
Kev

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Tope Chaos Down the Llyn

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Crackin session Kev. :clap: :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Great session Kev :thumbsup: What a superb way to spend a day with the boys :clap: :clap:
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 am

Last edited by starfish on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:40 am

well done mate sometimes wish i had a boat just for tope as it makes landing them so much easier :lol: :lol: :lol:
keep up the good work . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 am

starfish wrote:well done mate sometimes wish i had a boat just for tope as it makes landing them so much easier :lol: :lol: :lol:
keep up the good work . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Next time, try over low on the ledge 10m to your left ;)

You can scramble down to the lower barnacle covered rocks and there’s a nice area that rises gently from the water. I used to “beach” them there :)
Kev

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:07 pm

i know the spot :thumbsup: just that swell get the better of you sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm

I hear you Paul. You have to be very careful of the swell around that whole area.

Worth a look at the forecasts on the Magic Seaweed website to get an idea of the primary and secondary swell. They cover the local town ;). Even then though, you still need to keep an eye out for the odd rogue wave :)
Kev

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Firstly sounds like an amazing session , secondly is the area close enough to row to :lol: really looking into trying for a kayak caught tope but no idea of were to go :oops:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:36 am

The good news is it’s only about 1.5 miles offshore to the mark above.

Now the bad news. I’ve never seen a kayaker anywhere near it, presumably because of the strong tides in the area.

Tope numbers do seem to be on the up though. I’d fancy my chances all over the North and South coast of the Llyn right now. Just stick out a Mackerel flapper or a 6-8inch live-bait ;)
Kev

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”