Strange but true

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

razer1
Super Poster

Strange but true

Postby razer1 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:26 am

I have a confirmed report of a fair size sturgeon being caught from a Liverpool dock mark :shock:

Never heard of a sturgeon being caught in the UK before.

Pics will follow later on tonight.

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Re: Strange but true

Postby morrow » Wed May 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Freshwater fish being caught in a salt water dock :huh:

Corrct me if im wrong but i dive the docks alot now and they are full of flounder, pollock, conger etc
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

razer1
Super Poster

Postby razer1 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Sturgeon live mostly in river estuaries and can flit between salt and fresh although some are exclusively freshwater species. I didn't believe it either but I trust the guy implicitly and I have one picture which I have been unable to upload as yet.

razer1
Super Poster

Postby razer1 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:12 pm

razer1
Super Poster

Postby razer1 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:45 pm

I couldn't work out how to upload pics from my PC so here is the link to the rest of the pictures

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/ ... t-48255363

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed May 29, 2019 4:48 pm

Razer you say a dock mark.Does that mean an area of the river near the docks or from an actual dock ? As you know you are not allowed to fish in the docks. A bit more of the surroundings or buildings would confirm the location.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

wrasseman

Postby wrasseman » Wed May 29, 2019 8:09 pm

it wouldn't surprise me, sturgeon used to live in uk rivers(like salmon they can be migratory, and I believe any caught are property of the queen). A lot of day ticket course waters have been stocking them for a while and I've caught some small ones (less than a couple of Pounds). So it could be escapees are starting to grow a bit and they may be returning to our rivers.

razer1
Super Poster

Postby razer1 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:38 am

Steve Duffy wrote:Razer you say a dock mark.Does that mean an area of the river near the docks or from an actual dock ? As you know you are not allowed to fish in the docks. A bit more of the surroundings or buildings would confirm the location.

From a disused dock. It wasn't me that caught it :)

Labrax morone
Regular Poster

Postby Labrax morone » Thu May 30, 2019 6:12 pm

The ones stocked in freshwater day ticket venues are normally sterlets. There are several species although the English sturgeon were mainly confined to Rivers in Eastern England however one the biggest ever taken in UK waters occurred off the Isle of Man decades ago.It wouldn't surprise me if it was taken in a dock they're like aquariums really.

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 am

Hope we get some the size of the Canadian ones.Didnt know they were migratory to salt water. But only ever seen them on Jon Wilson.

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:59 am

Unless they have been introduced by somebody? Done Dukes Dock alot over the last 12 months by the big wheel, Its full of life, 6 meters deep bottom must be covered in meters of sludge. Viz is fantastic unless the bottom gets disturbed, Plenty of pollock and conger in there and the usual whiting, codling etc. Really is a great place to dive.

No names mentioned but i know an angler whos fished certain parts of it at night and has had some pretty good pollock and codling.

I have hidden the face :clap:

ImagePhoto_1559554684297 by James Morrow, on Flickr

ImagePhoto_1559554643127 by James Morrow, on Flickr
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:59 am

Part of the old dock system was used by Liverpool Uni many years ago as a fish breeding project. Any fish caught now are probably throwbacks from that era.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 am

Indeed Steve, I beleive it was the section under the customers building, But it all interlinks, Plenty of life in there which is good to see.

I suppose when the locks open etc it also traps fish.

There are plenty of pollock and wrasse in the wirral doocks although only small stuff and its fished a fair but i am yet to see any conger or bigger stuff its mostly small pollock and corkwing wrasse.

Seasicksteve

Postby Seasicksteve » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 pm

This was taken a couple of months ago at Waterloo Dock

http://imgur.com/gallery/tJLkkKE

I would think there are a lot of species locked in our Dock system. Imagine the fish in Langton Dock with Cargills :shock: :thumbsup:

Seasicksteve
Getting out fishing is good for the soul, catching is a bonus

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”