Old Farts Go To Darkest Africa (Skeleton Coast)

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Old Farts Go To Darkest Africa (Skeleton Coast)

Postby Richie Fisher » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:20 pm

This time last year Ian (Kell) was supposed to join me when I went to Namibia but was unable to go due to illness in the family. This year however he was able to go....

We flew from Manchester to Frankfurt, then to Johannesburg, then to Walvis Bay on The Skeleton Coast in Namibia. We met up with Simon from Sea Ace Fishing Adventures and drove the hour and a half up to Henties Bay which was our base for the duration. We didn't arrive until the afternoon and we were quite surprised to be fishing an hour later!
We passed a famous wreck en-route..

Our transport...

We went to a local mark and were soon into the fish. We landed 2 Gully Sharks each and missed one each too. We also caught Kabeljou and Barbel. A Kabeljou is like a Bass/Cod hybrid and a Barbel is a small sea Catfish.

My second one...

A Barbel

The week was a bit of a blur because unfortunately we were there during the worst sea conditions Simon has seen in his 14 years living there. It was daily either too rough with surf up to around six or seven feet at the back of the breakers; too much current dragging our lines around rocks and kelp; too much weed (God it was awful!); or any combination of them. We found ourselves grabbing a quick hour or two at a mark and then having to travel miles to avoid any of the above. As the week progressed things got slightly worse each day.

We were joined on our second full day by a couple of fishermen from the USA. We had a rod out each for species and I caught a nice Gully Shark

I'm not sure what Ian caught, but anything I may have missed will probably be added in the report later.

We changed over to fish for Bronze Whaler sharks. I wanted to test the Akios MVR Select reel on something sizeable. Mine was the only rod to register and I was soon into the hardest fight of my fishing life.

The reel was spooled with 600 metres of 50lbs braid and that was nearly completely stripped by the time I was able to regain any control. We guess there was less than 100 metres left on the spool when I turned it's head.

The reel has a 30kg drag system which was locked about 20kgs. This was a big shark and it would run and run during the course of the fight. The surf was big which didn't help at all as the undertow put enormous pressure on the gear, especially with braid.

2hrs 40 mins later and the biggest shark I've ever caught was landed!! The weight was calculated by the Oceanographic Research Institute of South Africa measuring table and came in at 298lbs 4ozs ... just shy of 300lbs!!

Later Ian was lucky enough to catch what is considered a rare species for the area, a Blue Ray

The Gods were against us the next day and we had to travel an hour or so south to find a place to fish. I caught my first ever Eagle Ray...

... and Ian caught his first ever Steenbras

The next day in poor conditions it was Ian's turn as he hooked into a Bronzie.

We all held our breath as by this time we'd lost a fair few Bronzies which had bitten through the steel trace or bitten through the line as they turn back to shore. After 40 minutes of butt-clenching excitement Ian's Bronzie was landed. It weighed in at 165lbs!

This was Ian's day, but I managed to land 3 Gully Sharks

Next day sea conditions were even worse! We travelled to a blow-off venue and I caught a nice Steenbras

Ian caught a new species, a Shy Shark

Next day the sea was like a washing machine but we persevered.

I caught a couple of Gully Sharks

Ian caught a couple of Gully Sharks

No pic of the second one because it got washed out in the surf as we tried for a photo.

I also managed to catch a Blue Ray

Final day

Lots of heavy weed made it impossible to fish for much more than one or two casts. We traveled up and down the coast looking for marks with varying degrees of success and failure. I caught a Gully Shark

A Kabeljou

Ian caught his second Shy Shark (no pic)

A Gully Shark

... and yet another Blue Ray!

I finished off with a specimen Blacktail which I was really happy to catch as it was a big one and a new species

All in all, a great adventure once again with some amazing catches and memories. The sea Gods could have been more lenient, but we still had a great time!

2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Old Farts Go To Darkest Africa (Skeleton Coast)

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 pm

A stunning report Richie. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You and Ian are catching fish that us mere mortals on the Wirral can only dream about.Its a shame that the weather was a bit carp but you still had some fantastic fish :clap: :clap: Maybe when this global warming kicks in we might catch fish like that at Perch Rock. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Well richie if it fishes like that in bad weather i am sure you would have broke your arm and back in good weather :lol:
top fishing mate fantastic range of fish there and 300lb wow mate :thumbsup:
glad the old farts are showing us younger ones up :D
dont think i could fish the mersey ever again after that sesh :lol:

Top marks lads and a very well deserved massive well done. :thumbsup:

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm

A great reflection of the week Richie. Despite the difficult conditions it was surprising just how much fishing we got in, leading to quite a few new species and some memorable catches.

Those 'Spotties' are the equivalent of catching tope from the shore and your big 'Bronzie' was exciting just to watch, for me it was a very fast 2 1/2+ hours, for you excruciating at times and will be hard to beat. Well done indeed.

Degs the 2nd
Obsessed Poster

Postby Degs the 2nd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:23 am

Brilliant report Richie, awesome fishing well done to you both :clap: :clap:
Decent fish 2019-- 11-2 Huss

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:37 pm

that is just fantastic fishing- massive well done to you both you deserve it.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:40 pm

good job you invested in that physio Mr Fisher

made up for the both of you

:clap:
Stu

2019 Species:[8] Codling, Ting, Dab, 3b Rockling, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, TB Ray

2018:[14]
2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Twotides
Super Poster

Postby Twotides » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 am

Wow great pictures and report top fishing gents :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Brilliant report Richie :clap: :clap: with some stunning fish for yourself and Ian, well done lads :thumbsup:

logger
Obsessed Poster

Postby logger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 am

Brilliant :thumbsup:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:00 pm

Looks like a fantastic experience guys. Very well done and thanks for sharing.

I am joining the ranks of the old farts myself on the 12th April and taking the rest of my life off work. Hope to meet up with you guys some time soon :)
Kev

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Wow. Top lads :clap: :clap: :clap:

The colour on the blue rays are so vivid :thumbsup:
Triple knackered

mark davies
Regular Poster

Postby mark davies » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Great report looks like you had a great trip some lovely fish and the 300 lb shark on 50 lb braid some good fishing there :) :) :)

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am

Superb.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
2019 species...….Dab, Whiting, Codling, Plaice, 5 Bearded Rockling, Flounder, Dogfish, Thornback Ray, Bass, Silver eel,
2018 species.......16
2017 species.......17

Crossbones
Obsessed Poster

Postby Crossbones » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Incredible fishing.....really struggling to think what hauling a 300lb fish through the surf feels like...is it a Whiting ?, a dab ? a doggie...?
Truly sensational... :clap:
Simon

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”