Mersey cod nursery ?

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

dryfly
Regular Poster

Mersey cod nursery ?

Postby dryfly » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 am

Having fished various marks over the past few weeks , the number of codling from 4-10 oz is nice to see. However they are bait robbers and I had one fish yesterday that swallowed 3/0 pennel that was almost the same length as the codling!! Just wondered if anyone else has been plagued by these juveniles. Yesterday fished THS over low and had 5 codling for a total weight of 1.5lb . Noticed the boats were working the channel and wondered if they had had any success.
These small codling are a great sign for the future, just doesn't feed the family right now.
Nick

Big Hitter
Obsessed Poster

Re: Mersey cod nursery ?

Postby Big Hitter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 am

I’ve been lucky this season as I’ve not had many ‘small’ Codling. I’ve had 45 Cod over 2lb this year and not been bothered at all by 10oz fish. Maybe it’s just luck but I only ever fish big baits and big hooks now. 5/0 Mantas on a pennel and 3 Worm and 1 or 2 whole Crab. I also don’t bother fishing over high water anymore.
Team Ultima Anyfish Anywhere
Team Wales
Welsh By The Grace Of God

dryfly
Regular Poster

Re: Mersey cod nursery ?

Postby dryfly » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:03 pm

I think your approach is spot on and having crab as bait is a real bonus. Used to live next to the tay estuary so peeler crab was easy to get. However in scotland the cod seemed to respond to fish or mussel baits tipped with squid. Down here I think crab is by far the best bait for the codling. Also agree about low water; always found it better than high for cod.
Nick

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”