Llyn 6/01/19

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Re: Llyn 6/01/19

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Try the live bait sliders from Veals. I’ve had a lot of success with them.

I use 200lb mono for hook-lengths and 8/0 circle hooks, hooked through the back under the Dorsal fin. Make sure there are no Seals around and back off the drag on your reel. The takes can be pretty savage.

Good luck
Kev

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 pm

wobbler72 wrote:Try the live bait sliders from Veals. I’ve had a lot of success with them.

I use 200lb mono for hook-lengths and 8/0 circle hooks, hooked through the back under the Dorsal fin. Make sure there are no Seals around and back off the drag on your reel. The takes can be pretty savage.

Good luck

Cheer Kev I’ve got some of them bait slides :thumbsup:
Do you prefer mono to wire trace if so why?
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Dyl wrote:
wobbler72 wrote:Try the live bait sliders from Veals. I’ve had a lot of success with them.

Good luck

Cheer Kev I’ve got some of them bait slides :thumbsup:
Do you prefer mono to wire trace if so why?

I use both, depending on where I'm fishing.

Pro's and cons from my perspective:

Mono is more flexible and, with circle hooks, there's a limited chance of being bitten off. Good for Conger and Huss too. I use double crimps rather than knotting it. Smaller, neater and if you leave a small loop, the hook is freer to move with the bait.

Wire is obviously stiffer and more visible (I use 175lb, 49 strand) but should be capable of handling a Blue or a small Porgie if they happen along ....... and I'm pretty sure I've hooked one ;)
Kev

Ranny715
Super Poster

Postby Ranny715 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Well done on your PB Dyl. Very resident eel. Live baiting is the way to go for the big fish.
Used to fish a mark in South Wales for eels at night off rocky ledges. Not a great depth but put a small rod out for pouting then used these as live baits.
Had a few eels over 20lb this way with the biggest 34lb.
Sciatica has scuppered me at the moment but next year planning a bash for shore caught tope from the Lleyn.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Tom wrote:Interesting you say that Ranny. I've heard more than one story about shallow fishing for large conger.. They probably know it's safe there from seals :thumbsup:

Shallow as in not very deep,or fishing up in the water :?:
Species 2019...Flounder..Whiting

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”