Flint cob 30/12... has anyone else caught a Chinese mitten crab?

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Ste Robbo
Regular Poster

Flint cob 30/12... has anyone else caught a Chinese mitten crab?

Postby Ste Robbo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Haven’t fished flint cob for about 17 years! Last time I fished this place I was 13 or so in a personal members match... from what I remember there was a large grassy bank, very comfortable fishing with plenty of flounders, plaice, eels whiting and the occasional sea trout.

5 of us set off in hope of putting some flounders on the bank.

On arrival I was shocked to see how much this venue has changed! Very little grass bank left now just as you come out the end of the path! I’d say you’ve got about an 80 stretch left.
Nothing to the right that has now completely gone, and a very narrow path of grass to the left which taper’s off to the rocky slope.
I decided to walk as far to the left on the grassy bank as I could before the rocks as the muddy bank didn’t seem as steep to lift any fish over and this seemed to produce the most fish in this area.
As you can see I was as far to left as I could go before fishing off the rocks. Anyway first cast and I managed to find the only flounder of the session nothing of any size so no picture taken.
After that it was whiting after whiting! As soon as the baits hit the water the fish where waiting to jump on them! And some half decent ones too! Some around the 35cm mark but most of the fish around 27cm-30cm
Plenty of double shots coming in!
And a shed load of single fish!
About half an hour before packing away my dad pulled in a crab which didn’t look like the usual crabs you would normally find.. well it’s one I’ve never seen or the other 4 guys fishing with us have seen anyway.
This crab had white tips on the ends of its pincers and what we thought to be mud around it’s claws was a actually fur!
Intrigued to see what it was I googled it and found out it’s called a Chinese mitten crab! Here’s a picture from google and a description of the crab
Has anyone else ever caught one of these or came across one of these crabs?

Anyway a really busy session on the whiting.. rods never stopped all day I must of had about 25 fish unfortunately only the one flounder to show for our efforts but a really enjoyable session and a lovely afternoon for it as well.

Such a shame to see this venue literally washing away.. a couple of more years and that grassy bank will be no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 species- codling, whiting, dab, flounder, plaice, eel, doggie

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Flint cob 30/12... has anyone else caught a Chinese mitten crab?

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Crackin report and pics Ste. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: They won't doing anything about the bank erosion until it threatens to wipe out the train line.If the mitten crabs are here now there may be trouble ahead.Lets hope they peel. :think: :think:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Never seen a mitten crab before Ste,very unusual catch.....it`s a shame about the erosion there,we used to use that venue for matches/meets regularly,but stopped when it became uncomfortable,plus you had big clay boulders breaking away from the bank making it pretty snaggy close in.
2007 Image
Species 2019...Flounder..Whiting

Ste Robbo
Regular Poster

Postby Ste Robbo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Big Kev wrote:Never seen a mitten crab before Ste,very unusual catch.....it`s a shame about the erosion there,we used to use that venue for matches/meets regularly,but stopped when it became uncomfortable,plus you had big clay boulders breaking away from the bank making it pretty snaggy close in.
2007 Image

That’s exactly as I remember it kev so was shocked how much it had changed.. I knew it had eroded away but not to that extent.. still a small amount of grass left to fish off but not much.. no snags in front of that area as had a low at low water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 species- codling, whiting, dab, flounder, plaice, eel, doggie

Paul Green
Regular Poster

Postby Paul Green » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:59 am

I remember reading maybe 10 years ago about crab coming from the Far East being dumped at Mostyn as the ships emptied their ballast tanks. The type of crab were blamed in the text of eating certain vegetation within the banks which would cause problems.

Whether there was any truth in this I don’t know, but in hindsight it appears plausible.

Maybe also if the said species of crab are predominately herbivore may explain why they aren’t being caught by anglers.

As I said, I only read it! Maybe just a coincidence!

Tight lines

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 am

Great report there Ste, I will get on to my good friend Rob (Sharky) Thomas who was Top man for water quality in Wales, see if he can throw some light on this. He is still working pt for the Environment Agency but winding down into angling retirement. Maybe this is a reportable event.He will at least know a man to ask. :idea:
Brill piccies by the way. :thumbsup:
2018 species: At last :badgrin: Whiting, Doggy, dab, French bass and thornie :dance:

Happiness is a rod in my hand :dance: Shakespeare

NIGEL C
Regular Poster

Postby NIGEL C » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi, We had an interesting session at Flint last night, good to fish with you, Tony, Dave and John expected the whiting and they came on even stronger and bigger on the ebb, but had hopped we would get some decent flounders on the flood...John and I had some very good flats the tide before at Connahs Quay several exceeding 40 plus cms.

Glad you were able to identify the crab, must admit it had me stumped similar to a velvet without the glowing eyes, it was just as aggressive though nearly lost my finger examining it! It would make an interesting bait when it peels...…

Look forward to the next session and wish you and Tony, Dave and John a great New Year

Tight Lines Nigel

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”