Seaforth 29th Dec

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

dryfly
Regular Poster

Seaforth 29th Dec

Postby dryfly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:04 am

Fish last 3hrs down and 1hr up last night . Lovely clear night with no wind until midnight. Managed 2lb codling, a couple of sizable dabs and a few whiting. Bites all night but mainly small stuff. Lost two rigs as there does appear to be a snag around 250yds out from the navigation light. Also caught around 50yds of green light braid with a shock leader so a very mixed bag. Black Lug was top bait for the night.

Cap'n Birdseye

Re: Seaforth 29th Dec

Postby Cap'n Birdseye » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi Dryfly,
Well done on getting such a mixed bag! I fished there on the morning's low tide for just a dab (two guys next to me had a few small codling) but there were plenty of bites from the off but I assumed it was small stuff stripping the bait. I also got snagged on whatever you got caught up on in front of the beacon. I lost a rig and that braid was mine. Don't suppose you could post it to me (Berkley Whiplash ain't cheep!) PM me for my address! : :lol: :D
Cheers
PS apologies for the braid tangle- bet it was a bugger to sort out! :roll:
Good things come to those who bait.

Cap'n Birdseye

Postby Cap'n Birdseye » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Me again!
Had a thought, I need to get more braid now!
Has anybody on this site had any positive experience with the cheap Chinese braid on ebay? If so, which is the best?
Any help would be very much appreciated?
Cheers in advance!

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Cap'n Birdseye wrote:Me again!
Has anybody on this site had any positive experience with the cheap Chinese braid on ebay? If so, which is the best?
Cheers in advance!

I think Ste Duffy has had some on his reel for about 12 years....no doubt he`ll confirm :D
Species 2019...Flounder..Whiting

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Big Kev wrote:
Cheers in advance!

I think Ste Duffy has had some on his reel for about 12 years....no doubt he`ll confirm :D

Correct young Kevin but sadly you can't get the knock off power pro any more. :huh: :huh:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Cap'n Birdseye

Postby Cap'n Birdseye » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Big Kev wrote:
Cheers in advance!

Hilarious! :lol:
I've had my whiplash for at least 5 years!
The thing is, never had it snap before (I use 50lb- which pulls out of any snag the Bristol channel has to offer) which got me thinking, maybe it's finally time to invest in New braid! The stuff has certainly paid for itself in the number of rigs I would have normally lost- not saying I'm tight but...
Checked out the spectra stuff....any good?
Cheers!

dryfly
Regular Poster

Postby dryfly » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:09 am

Sorry I had to cut the braid and I binned it on the way home. I have used 85lb braid for the past 5 years due to the rough ground I used to fish in the North Sea. The rigs I lost actually broke on the 60lb mono rather than the braid. The braid I use I bought on ebay and is cheap chinese , around £25 for 1000m when I bought it and it has been great. Not low diameter, but ideal when bringing line over rough ground. I started with berkley 30lb braid and it got frayed immediately over the rocks and ended up in the bin. I think I could step down to 50lb on the mersey, but if it aint broke....
Might give the river another shot today over high, just depends on family commitments.
Nick

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”