Fuerteventura December '18

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Fuerteventura December '18

Postby Richie Fisher » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 pm

I was asked a short while ago by Ex-Junior World Champion Ben Harrison if I could help him catch a couple of monsters over in Fuerteventura. It's a far cry from what he's used to catching being a match fisherman, and now into coarse fishing, so I agreed as we know each other from old. Ian Kell didn't join us for this one as we're off to Namibia in March.

We had already done some pre-planning so Ben wasn't going into this blind. We'd discussed tackle. rigs, tactics, venues etc prior to our trip. Nearly all of our fishing would be down on the southern beaches in darkness. We arrived at the hotel about 8pm on Saturday so we would start fishing from Sunday.

Day 1
We drove down to what is probably my favourite beach and started fishing for bait fish. I must point out that Ben wasn't fussed about photos with fish he'd caught and so that's why they are mainly of me! :oops: :lol: I caught Pandora Bream..

Greater Weever and a Pearly Razor Fish which bit me about 3 times before I got it back in the water...

Ben was catching too but no photos

As it started to go dark we set up our big rods and got them out. My reel started clicking followed by a run and I was into my first decent fish of the holiday. After 5 mins it was safely beached...
A Butterfly Ray of around 30lbs

A bit later into the evening it happened again and this time it was a huge Angel Shark...

That was it for the night

Day 2

We decided to go to another beach and we repeated the task of getting bait fish. Same routine, big rods out as darkness approached. We were treated to an amazing shooting star display which would last most of the holiday, including me seeing a meteor travel across the horizon on one night.

Fishing was slow but then Ben called over, he was into a fish. Within 5 mins he'd beached his first Common Stingray of around 20lbs. Nice one Ben!

Day 3

Day 3 got off to a bad start because it was recommended we try a well-known rock ledge for the evening session. We were a little apprehensive as we'd tried it earlier in the day and it was a tad rough

By the evening a squall hit us and we made a hasty retreat.... no point taking unnecessary risks for a fish! I suggested a shortened session on the first beach.
It was my turn again and I got another big Angel Shark...

I also missed a run because of a schoolboy error. I'd changed a rig to a circle hook and forgot, as soon as the run had stopped I struck and pulled the hook straight out! Don't strike using a circle, just gradually tighten-up!!

Well, at the end of Day 3 fishing I don't know what to say.... Much later after landing the Angel Shark I had the most powerful run I've ever experienced in all my time fishing. My rod and reel will take 35lbs drag and after quickly tightening down this pulled near that poundage for just under 300 metres!! I had approximately 100 metres of braid backing and we could see the knot coming on the reel. Thankfully I stopped it at this point. From experience it was a monster Stingray, totally unlike any we have previously witnessed.

I had 70lbs mono on the reel and the pressure was so intense that the reel seat on the rod looked at times like it would explode. It took two and a half hours to get it just ever so slightly out of range to gaff it... and then snap!!!!!!! The 70lbs mono gave out, not even at the join to the rig. We were both gutted. Ian and I have hooked into monsters a few times and lost them. All I can say is that this was 200% different league! I'd have to estimate 350 to 400lbs!

Day 4

I've been fortunate to catch quite a few huge fish/sharks before but my nemesis has always been to land a huge Stingray. I've come so close on many an occasion only to be thwarted at the death. Well tonight my luck changed.

My reel started to scream, and this time I remembered it was a circle hook! I applied pressure gradually and it was hooked. Approximately one hour ten minutes later, I had Ben holding the rod whilst I was in the water feeding line to him to wind, I had my opportunity and brought it to the beach. It was huge! I estimated about 180lbs (ish) but I had the dimensions confirmed with Gone Fishing the next day and it was around 220lbs so I'm claiming 200lbs to be on the safe side. Yes!!!!

Day 5

Back to our second beach again. This evening we both blanked on the big stuff however we both had very powerful runs within minutes of each other and were both broken off over broken ground. Probably the same ray for both of us and I'm sure it's been hooked before as it knew exactly where to pull us both to and smash us.

Final Day

We went down to the local rocks and had a float session. Ben caught more than me which was to be expected! :lol: But between us we got some lovely looking fish
Blenny

Couch's Bream

Puffer Fish

Purple Damsel Fish

Ornate Wrasse

Brown Damsel Fish

Lizard Fish

It was back to the south for the evening...

Ben had been so unlucky so far, so I was happy to let him have all four rods until he'd caught a big fish. One of my rods burst into song as line screamed off it. Ben was soon onto it and the next few minutes were surreal. I had 300 metres of line on my Akios Orion 120LD and with the drag on this ray took virtually the whole spool in a single run. I'm confident it was the same ray that nearly spooled me earlier in the week. Ben, like me previously was into the fight of his life! It's unbelievable tiring and stressful but the adrenaline rush is worth it.

We took turns...

We tried and tried and after an eternity had to pull for a break. Argh!!!

Thankfully later on Ben's rod registered and he landed a lovely Angel Shark!

That was it for the fishing. A great holiday with great company too. Thanks Ben!

Some other random shots...

I nearly forgot my pair of Giltheads earlier in the week!

Until next time.................
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Fuerteventura December '18

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Amazing report Richie.Well done Ben. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm

FANTASTIC.. :thumbsup:
top fishing sir you got that place nailed. :D

mark
Obsessed Poster

Postby mark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Brilliant again pal

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Great read Richie keep it up. :clap: :clap: :love:
2018 species: At last :badgrin: Whiting, Doggy, dab, codliet, flounder, French bass and thornie :dance:

Happiness is a rod in my hand :dance: Shakespeare

wrasseman

Postby wrasseman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:24 pm

great report, fish we dream about, really must get a new passport!

paramedic
Obsessed Poster

Postby paramedic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 am

Some real monsters there...tremendous :clap: :clap: :clap:
Just accept it, you'll always have sand in your car !!

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

Brilliant Richie... :thumbsup:

I know what I would do if I were you - sell up and set up a business guiding over there... or stay here and get your sticky black out for some hot dab action!
Stu

2019 Species:[4] Codling, Ting, Dab, 3b Rockling

2018:[14]
2017:[24]
2016:[14]

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm

some stunning fish there richie.
you've really got that place sussed out.
well done.
gary

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Fantastic report Richie :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jimmy h
Regular Poster

Postby Jimmy h » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Cracking fish mate well done :thumbsup: