A Whale of a Time!

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

A Whale of a Time!

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm

I wasn't sure what I was going to do today. I had a pass out from the FPO, but couldn't decide whether to hit the North coast to try for some Bass, or whether I'd be able to get out on the boat on the South coast, sheltered from these Northerly winds.

As the sun rose, it revealed a fairly flat sea on the South coast of the Lleyn, so decision made. I'd take the boat out and mooch West from Pwllheli searching for a Bass or two, maybe check out the Sound and see if it was feasible to cross to Bardsey. If all else failed, "There should still be Mackerel about" I though, so I could always drop back onto them  to fill the freezer for next year.

As I left the marina mouth, there was one other boat on the water a few hundred metres off Gimblet Rock. I've heard reports that there are plenty of Mack showing there at the moment. Nevertheless, I decided to push on past: I could always come back if where I was heading turned out to be no good.

So off I went, dropping in at Llanbedrog briefly, to no avail. It was a bit choppy through St Tud's. but not enough to make me turn back. Porth Ceriad was flat calm so I pushed on. I rounded Cilan Head and crossed Hells Mouth, again fairly flat in the Northerlies.

As I headed towards my next mark suddenly, right in front of me, a big dark shape rooled and dived 45 degrees ahead to port. "What the hell was that?", I thought. "Too big for a Dolphin surely". Was that a Minke Whale?

I stopped the boat and quickly switched to sonar on my chart-plotter. And what I saw was astonishing. There was a huge shoal of fish beneath me; mostly concentrated 90ft down. I already had a rod set up with a 2 up rig with 3 inch stick baits on size 2 Chinu Hooks. Certainly small enough to pick up the Mackerel, so I slung it over the side. Strangely, I got nothing. I rummaged through my box (!) and quickly swapped to some little size 8 Sasame Sabiki's and my hunch was right. I was straight in with a 6 string of Herring. Quickly followed by some more; and some more. This shoal was vast! Every so often I was also getting a huge solid mass show up in the mid-water. No doubt in my mind, I had stumbled on a Minke Whale feeding on the Herring. As I looked around, there were hundreds on sea birds on the water in front of me. This was awesome. I stayed for around 30 minutes. I saw the big shape in the water, but never saw the Whale on the surface again.

I took around 30 Herring for supper and bait. There were a few Joey Mackerel up on the surface too.

I decided to push on. I was already running out of time to get to Bardsey, so I sacked it in favour of a Bass hunt.

I pulled into my favourite cove and headed towards the rocks. Second cast with my trusty Fiiish Black Minnow and I'm in. A Pollack of around 3/4lb.

Next cast, first Bass of the day. Around 1.5lb

I had 4 more on successive drifts

All schoolies. All out of casting range from the shore. The biggest went to 2lb

I decided to move along a little further. I had a couple more Pollack and had the paddletail bitten off my FBM. That'll be a Wrasse then!

All to soon, it was time to head back to shore, and a good job I did. The wind had turned North Easterly and had put more of a chop on the water. It took me quite a while to get back to the marina, all the time thinking about that Whale and the Herring we shared. I felt very lucky to have seen it. It's made my weekend :)
Kev

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Re: A Whale of a Time!

Postby Blue topaz » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:44 pm

great report Kev and what an experience to boot.The herrings look tasty too

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Good fishin Kev, what a difference to the sights you can see on a boat, Crackin report :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Great report Kev. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Crossbones
Obsessed Poster

Postby Crossbones » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:30 pm

Fantastic report mate, great description of the herring shoal and the Minke. What an experience....
Simon

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:53 pm

It’s actually the second I’ve seen. The first was from high up on Brach y Pwll with Richie Fisher a few years back.
Kev

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Whale of a tale :thumbsup:
2018 species: At last :badgrin: Whiting, Doggy, dab, French bass and thornie :dance:

Happiness is a rod in my hand :dance: Shakespeare

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Postby Willpower » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:42 pm

What a great sight to see.

scousediver

Postby scousediver » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:21 am

Great report, very envious. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm

You’d have known about it if you’d have hooked into that Kev!
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”