Even Older Farts In Fuerteventura

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Even Older Farts In Fuerteventura

Postby Richie Fisher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Ian and I went on our pilgrimage once again to hopefully catch a few fish and get some sunshine on our backs. This time not a rod tube to be seen, but instead some good quality travel rods. I had two Shimano Beastmasters (6-section) and Ian had one, plus his trusted Shakespeare Agility. Apart from our usual reels I was itching to try out my now magged Akios Orion 120 ld multi.

One thing became apparent, in the years that we've been doing this we've aged. Every joint now hurts and we were both bothered by dodgy knees :lol:

I'm not doing a lengthy report and also not a day-by-day account. Put simply there were days that we caught and days where we blanked on the big fish but every day we caught smaller ones.

If memory serves me I was first in with a Butterfly Ray of approx 30lbs which immediately tested my Akios. The reel won with ease and it was beached within 5 mins. Unfortunately I ran into a deckchair just before landing it which explains the top (cough cough!) :oops: :badgrin:

Hopes were high but that was it for the night. I think we blanked the next night.

Different venue on our next outing. Ian had a great night picking up a huge Butterfly Ray, a smaller one and a decent Stingray. I can't remember the weights but Ian can fill in the blanks below... I managed another Butterfly Ray similar size to my first.

I don't have a pic of his smaller one..

Along the way we caught Greater Weever, Painted Comber, Golden Grey Mullet, Wide-Eyed Flounder, Palometa, Bream, Lizard Fish.

These were a couple of mine but I'm sure Ian has some photos too.

I think we blanked for 2 nights then. However, we met up with a friend we've made since doing these trips and we witnessed his friend pull in a beautiful Bluefish. I know Ian has a pic of it on his phone so hopefully he may put it on this report. On our final night all hell broke loose! Ian had a very quick run just as daylight was fading. Sod's law dictated that it ran around both my lines whilst at the same time being unstoppable at this stage. Ian was holding on for dear life whilst I was running around trying to untangle rods and lines. Because it wasn't yet dark, a crowd had gathered to witness the spectacle. This fish didn't want to be caught and kept going adjacent to the beach. We've become a good team when faced with these situations and we know what each other needs to do. Eventually after a heck of a fight Ian had the fish about 8 metres out. It was obviously a huge Stingray because the serrated tail was sticking out of the water ready to gaff me. :shock: :lol: After a failed first attempt I managed to get it second time and it was pulled up the stony beach. Wow, what a beast! 131cm wing tip to wing tip. Conversion tables put it around 150+ pounds but it may have been even heavier.

Well done Ian, an absolute belter! :dance: :clap: :clap:

We both had missed runs on what we believe to be Bluefish later in the session, but that was it and a fitting climax to another great adventure.
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Re: Even Older Farts In Fuerteventura

Postby daley12 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:10 pm

well fished lads some absolute pigs there :thumbsup:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Great report and Pics Richie.You and Ian are getting to grips with that place. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:38 am

Grate fish there lads and top marks for some nice quality fish. :thumbsup:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:13 am

Well done fellas, another amazing fishing experience over there :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 am

Outstanding. How’s the back Richie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:50 pm

davie495 wrote:Outstanding. How’s the back Richie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back held up fine but my knee gave out :( If I was a horse...... :lol: :lol:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Awesome stuff guys, some stunning fish there.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 am

Great report Richie :thumbsup: how did the travel rods compare and stand up to your traditional rods?
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 am

Dyl wrote:Great report Richie :thumbsup: how did the travel rods compare and stand up to your traditional rods?

Can't give an honest appraisal yet Dyl. I caught both my rays on the Shimano Beastmasters and they handled them great, but the huge rays that Ian caught were on his trusty little Shakespeare Agility. There does seem to be a lot more to give throughout the whole length of the rods though.
2018 Species

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Wow some cracking fish there fellas, great report as always from there. :clap:
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”