Guinea Gap smash & grab

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Guinea Gap smash & grab

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:49 am

Have you ever had the feeling that you've been properly mugged off, well that wàs us last night fishing the high. One rod close in scratching with small fresh blow baits and one at distance with small crab baits (some hardback some soft). After one micro whiting in the first hour we began to think tonight was just about getting some fresh air and enjoying the view but then bang...the close in rod was nearly ripped off the rest, the butt jumping up high but when I got to it nothing apart from a bent hook ( was using fine wire as we were scratching). Chance missed I thought. 45 mins later, bang...same again. Nothing on so was starting to feel a bit irked :evil: Then about 30 mins later the softie at distance got hit with full force, again lifting the butt up but nothing on by the time I got to it. :doh: . This wa s abigger bait and I did notice that the crab had what looked like a chunk bitten out of it, but still no fish to show for it hence no pics.

We thought they might be smoothies or maybe rogue bass, but either way I think I need to do something to improve my hook up rate :huh: :doh:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Re: Guinea Gap smash & grab

Postby Willpower » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:19 am

Very unlucky not to hook up.
Had something similar last year, rod nearly went over the wall and nothing. Cast into the same area and rod nearly went over again, but this time hooked smoothie of 9.5lb.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm

I`d opt for bass being the culprits as there seems to be plenty of schoolies about and they are very aggressive biters :think:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:53 pm

bin lid jelly fish maybe :D

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Don't you just hate it when that happens :x
The Wrassewrangler

gilly111