7 at sea

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

7 at sea

Postby Blue topaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Sunday we set off from the lock at 5.30 to be greeted with calm and pleasant conditions
We got anchored up in the rock channel and first aboard was a dab

the Smoothounds were biting but it was pups all the way and Peter my son was first in

then one for me
then Pete again
Normally we stay in one place but Gary from discovery had radioed to suggest we have a trip to the sewer buoy, so after a while we up anchored and drifted around the buoy, drifting is a first for us but we really enjoyed it .

Next species in was a whiting

and with feathers/hokai we landed 3 of the dreaded weavers

it was great to catch some gurnard too

Next we headed into the windfarm and being beneath those giant structures is a bit daunting

we were rewarded with a few mackerel which is a first for us so well pleased and brought one back for the table

Peter landed another first for us a slender launce

A fantastic day with a total of 7 species whilst everything we caught was small or very young we really enjoyed the drifting experience amid lovely weather.What a day!!!

The only down side was when we returned to lock in, the gates had broken and we heard on the radio the engineer was coming out from Manchester !!!!! We had to circle round for 1 and half hours which wasn't pleasant but thank fully it got fixed and we locked back in about 6pm.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: 7 at sea

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Great session Mike. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: Around the rock channel is slewing with baby tope one of the New Brighton boats reported this week.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

7 at sea

Postby Godders123 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice mixed session there Mike. Looks like you had a tope or two there also.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Tom
Obsessed Poster

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 am

That's chunky for a Grey Gunard! The british record is 1lb
Awesome Tope aswell
Cracking day out fishing :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Whiting, Pollock, Pouting, Dab, Codling, Huss, Dog, Plaice, Blenny, 5B Rockling, Flounder, Silver Eel, Bass, Thornback, Starry, Common SH, Ballan, Corkwing, Rock Goby, LS Scorpion, Tompot, Grey, Tub G, Launce, Mackerel, PoorCod, Weever, Cuckoo, Conger 29

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

grate sesh well done :D :thumbsup:

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm

your first "hound" is defo a Tope

great fun when you nail a load of species. shame you didnt know as you could have just took a spinning rod :thumbsup:
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks very much for the replies and for identifying there are tope in the mix, clearly I need to get to grips with the differences- I am guessing the teeth can help identify-would that be the easiest way? As i am keen to learn more I am now very interested in the suggestion by Davie 495 about spinning at sea and I will post a request for advice in the tackle and bait section. Thanks again,
Mike

Tom
Obsessed Poster

Postby Tom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:12 am

Tope have a sharp nose, teeth and green eyes with small pupils

Smoothound have a blunt nose, ray like mouth, goldish green eyes commonly with star markings curving down there cheeks
Whiting, Pollock, Pouting, Dab, Codling, Huss, Dog, Plaice, Blenny, 5B Rockling, Flounder, Silver Eel, Bass, Thornback, Starry, Common SH, Ballan, Corkwing, Rock Goby, LS Scorpion, Tompot, Grey, Tub G, Launce, Mackerel, PoorCod, Weever, Cuckoo, Conger 29

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Tom wrote:Tope have a sharp nose, teeth and green eyes with small pupils

Smoothound have a blunt nose, ray like mouth, goldish green eyes commonly with star markings curving down there cheeks

thanks Tom

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Great report & photos :thumbsup: certainly a busy day for you well done chaps :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:32 pm

tatch1 wrote:Great report & photos :thumbsup: certainly a busy day for you well done chaps :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

thanks Tatch1- still envious of that angler fish you got- superb :thumbsup:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Blue topaz wrote:
Tom wrote:Tope have a sharp nose, teeth and green eyes with small pupils

thanks Tom

The other thing to look for is the second dorsal fin. Much bigger on a smoothie ;)
Kev

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”