Plaice Hunt

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Plaice Hunt

Postby Godders123 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Gaz and I met up with Brian (Whistlingsands) and his bro Gray yesterday evening for a crack at the plaice. It had been a while since we'd had a session with Bri and Gray and so it was good to catch up again.

When we arrived at New Brighton both Bri and Gray were out on the beach pumping some nice juicy blow lug.

We got set up and then made the walk out to the waters edge.

Conditions were perfect, we were fishing a big tide over low, not a breath of wind in the air, and a dipping sun. We sent our baits out and sat back to wait for the action.

It wasn't long before Brian was into a flatty, but it wasn't the target species, it was a dab.

And that's how it continued. The dabs were out in force along with a splatter of whiting, in particular to Gaz who was smashing the little critters out on cockle bait.

I managed to pick up an 8oz dab which just about made the qualifying weight for the species hunt, but most of the dabs were palm sized.

As the sun dipped towards the horizon the sky lit up in stunning fashion. I love the sunsets out there!

And as it dipped out of sight a new moon hung in the sky.

The flood was picking up by now and we were hopeful of a change of fortunes and the possible show of a few plaice.

Gray was to my right and was getting hits within seconds of his bait going out but not connecting. We put it down to schoolie bass which are magicians of stripping hooks without being impaled.

Brian decided to up sticks and move a hundred yards down with the flow of the tide, and his move paid off as he was quickly into a double header of plaice followed by another shortly afterwards.

By now the was was making tracks behind us so it was time to head back.

The plaice didn't show in numbers unfortunately but it was good to catch up with Brian and Gray again and a stunning night to be out on the banks.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Tom
Obsessed Poster

Re: Plaice Hunt

Postby Tom » Sat May 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Amazing what great cameras can do these days. Shame the Plaice are thin on the ground. Great report nonetheless :D :clap: :clap:
Whiting, Pollock, Pouting, Dab, Codling, Huss, Dogfish, Plaice, Blenny, 5B Rockling, Flounder, Silver Eel, Bass, Thornback, Starry, Common SH, Ballan, Corkwing, Rock Goby, LS Scorpion Fish, Tompot, Grey, Tub G, Launce, Mackerel, PoorCod, Weever, Cuckoo

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Sun May 20, 2018 12:40 am

amazing pics mate and a few good fish well done lads :thumbsup:

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Sun May 20, 2018 7:14 am

Cracking photos Graham, it was a lovely evening to be out wetting a line. :thumbsup:
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:24 am

Nice one Gray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 am

Great pics Gra laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....lovely weather to be on the beach 8)
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 am

Nice one lads. :clap: :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GRAY70
Obsessed Poster

Postby GRAY70 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Super pictures Gray... good to catch up with you and Gaz shame on the plaice front :roll:

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Great report Graham, I love it out on the banks in weather like that. The photos really do it justice. :clap:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup, Dogfish, Silver eel
2017 species.......17

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Cracking photos and report :clap: it was a nice evening to be out
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 am

Nice report graham & some belting photos :thumbsup: unlucky on the plaice better luck next time out chaps

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”