Mersey - New Years Day

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Mersey - New Years Day

Postby manchesterangler » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Hello one and all and a Happy New Year.

Just a quick report from fishing this mornings high water tide on the Wirral side of the Mersey.

Father Christmas had brought me a belated present via the AWESOME Gerry's boxing day sale. A 14 foot, Tronix Pro Cobra Light rod bought at a superb price was just itching to be christened on the Mersey.

Well, today was the day. I had chosen a cracking mark that would be able to be fished throughout the session with a 5oz pyramid lead. I was a little apprehensive on the first cast as I was fishing the rod at it's maximum casting weight. The rod more than coped with the 40 to 50 metre casts I was making, happy days! All we needed was some bites to wet the head ;).

I attached an Urfe Rig with a 120cm, two hook 12lb snood consisting of a size 2 on the point and a size 4 dropper. This rig has been catching a lot of fish for me on the Mersey over Christmas so on it went.

The session couldn't have started any better with a :fish: on the first cast.

During the next 2 1/2 hours I had a bite on most casts, producing Whiting from 16cm up to the largest fish of the day a cracking 41cm Whiting.

Sport came to an abrupt stop half an hour into the ebb. Suddenly the excellent fine tip of the Cobra Light that had previously registered an array of bites from delicate trembles (a fish breathing on the hook bait) to full throttle rattles was motionless.

By regularly moving the rig to induce bites I managed to conclude the session with a couple of Dabs and a Rockling before calling it a day :giveup: .

A perfect start to the New Year, enjoying sport from 24 x fish with late morning sunshine warming my face whilst taking in the view of the Liverpool waterfront. The cherry on top was that it started raining just as I started to drive back home :thumb: .

All the best

Andy

starfish
Super Poster

Re: Mersey - New Years Day

Postby starfish » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:08 pm

New rod christened well done :D

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Well done, you can't beat christening a new rod first time out :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Postby manchesterangler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 am

It's always good to get the first session with a new rod done and dusted by catching a few fish.

Confidence is everything when it comes down to your fishing tackle. It doesn't matter if it's a £60 or £600 fishing rod, if you have confidence in using it then it's the best rod for you!

Hopefully, I will get a few more opportunities in the forthcoming months if the fishing situation is right to enjoy using it again.

It's all down to weather conditions and tide ;)

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”