Complete beginner

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

wag111

Complete beginner

Postby wag111 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Hello,
Complete novice to sea angling as been a carp angler for 25 years. First session was at seacombe last saturday "tunnel vents" I think it's called.
Bit of a non event as I couldn't seen to hold the lead on the bottom and lost a few in the snags(There seem to be plenty) .
I'm looking at going on tomorrows night tide at 5.20pm. Any suggestions on where to fish 2 hours high and 1 low from the prom as I don't feel experienced to fish the beach yet .
Many thanks

wag111

Re: Complete beginner

Postby wag111 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:51 pm

That should read tomorrows high tide

Big Hitter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Big Hitter » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi mate,
Try Guinea Gap double slope below the baths, perfect tide for there. Always plenty of fish there and the chance of a Cod too. You’ll catch plenty of Whiting and Dabs if the Cod don’t turn up. You’ll only need black lug and fish baits. Nice easy and comfortable fishing and you shouldn’t loose any gear to snags. :D
Try fishing it 2up and 2down mate. Can fish well on the ebb. 8)
Team Ultima Anyfish Anywhere
Team Wales
Welsh By The Grace Of God

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:44 pm

wag111 wrote:Hello,
Complete novice to sea angling as been a carp angler for 25 years. First session was at seacombe last saturday "tunnel vents" I think it's called.
Bit of a non event as I couldn't seen to hold the lead on the bottom and lost a few in the snags(There seem to be plenty) .
I'm looking at going on tomorrows night tide at 5.20pm. Any suggestions on where to fish 2 hours high and 1 low from the prom as I don't feel experienced to fish the beach yet .
Many thanks

You'll need to use around a 5oz gripper lead at least (more if the tide requires - you can get the tide sizes from the tide info on here). 2 hook flapper rig with size 2 to 2/0 hooks with a piece of lug tipped with a finger nail sized piece of mackerel or squid will catch smaller stuff, bigger baits (lug &squid) on clipped down rigs for the cod if they're about :thumbsup:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:53 pm

some excellent advice there.

gearbox1001

Postby gearbox1001 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:16 pm

I am a newbie too and been on 3 tides now and fished king dock and marina wharf on liverpool side. Biggest tide fished was 9.6m which was more challenging. I caught whiting, Codling and Dabs and never blanked. It's good lighting and always a few lads to say hi too around there. I recommend it anyway.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 pm

gearbox1001 wrote:I am a newbie too and been on 3 tides now and fished king dock and marina wharf on liverpool side. Biggest tide fished was 9.6m which was more challenging. I caught whiting, Codling and Dabs and never blanked. It's good lighting and always a few lads to say hi too around there. I recommend it anyway.

Spot on there laaaaaaaaaaaa,Mariners and Otterspool always has anglers around for company,and usually a few fish too :thumbsup:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”