East coast cod hunt

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

East coast cod hunt

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Weather report looked lousy for my trip but the cottage was booked so off we went to Hornsey. When we got there it was straight down to the seafront to suss it out, but alas we were confronted with this. :oops:

Six to eight foot waves though it doesnt look that bad in the pictures. :roll:
Decided to brave the north end of the beach after advice from the local tackle shop and purchasing three packs of fresh black @ £4.50 a pack. :shock:
Took about twenty minutes for the obvious message to sink in - cant hold bottom, tackle washed up tangled like its been in the tumble drier only seconds after casting in. :( :( Unfishable.
So we went off to Mappleton to have a look over the cliffs to what we hoped would be a semi sheltered spot. :oops: again
Same story but more dramatic, and of course it was freezing in the wind.
Checked out the cottage, lovely, had dinner , went to the pub.
Day 2. straight down to the seafront first thing.No go again. :naughty:
Decided there was only one place to go, so reluctantly we set off 25miles to the humber estuary, under the bridge for calm water, clear seabed devoid of snags or northeast surfing he-men.
It was also devoid of fish, but the inevitable weed and toiletry plastics made a good show so it was a case of back to the pub for the evening again. :dance:
Day 3.
Straight down to the seafront early again, and surprise surprise :doh:
This lot again.
With heavy snow forecast it was a case of leg iit home a day early so my friend Rob could get down to Llanystumdwy before the roads get blocked. :help: :lol:
I think it'll be a flying day-visit next year when the right sort of snow falls and the cod are throwing themselves up the beach. :badgrin
2017 species : Whiting :roll: rock salmon:roll: Flounder, shore crab, otterspool bigsnag, stiffback,soreneck, acheing bells :lol: What a beach of a year :doh:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: East coast cod hunt

Postby Big Kev » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm

That coast is a nightmare if conditions are against you....i`m gagging to get back over but the sea is big for at least another week :roll:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Unlucky Maerig but cracking pics & report :clap: :clap: That's the problem when you've got to book ahead, we had the same at Chesil beach last year, when we got there it was a case of "yeah but you should've been here last week" d'oh. Still great to be out and any excuse for a beer can't be all bad :thumbsup:
2017: Bass, Saddled Bream, Codling, Conger, Dab, Blue Finned Damsel fish, Dogfish, Silver Eel, Flounder, Goby, Plaice, Pollack, Pouting, Rockling, 3B Rockling, TB Ray, Long Spined Scorpion Fish, Whiting, Ballan Wrasse, Ornate Wrasse

The Count

Postby The Count » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 am

Nice read and pics there,shame you couldnt have a go it looks inviting

Bren
Some people just dont listen!

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Postby Willpower » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 am

Unlucky with the weather - next time though.

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am

Great report and pics maerig :clap: :clap: the swell and weed on that coast is challenging to say the least :help:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 am

Great effort. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Labrax morone
Regular Poster

Postby Labrax morone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 am

East coast,always freezing over there even in the summer!lol!

Milligan
Regular Poster

Postby Milligan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Its "Hornsea " Maerig ! Great Photos, but bad news on the weather and fishing front !

I was at Mappleton last Thursday, it was a lovely day, had a boatload of very respectable Whiting, some codlets just undersize, and a 3-3/4 pounder to take home @ 54 cms

As has been said the Holderness can be very wild, even an offshore westerley wind seems to end up being a Northerly, and very uncomfortable at times. On the southern beaches,tides over 5.6 m on the Bridlington scale can be unfishable, due to tidal pull, even on calm days, and a southern wind can also bring rafts of weed onto those same southern beaches,from Withernsea down to Spurn, so its a case of having to choose a venue to match the tide and conditions.
Plus, anything over a mid size tide , or even less, will see you washed off most Holderness beaches these days, or alternativeley forced up a muddy cliff .

Looking at getting at least one more visit across there before Christmas. There have been some reasonable fish showing at various locations, mainly the middle beaches, when conditions are favourable.

Millsy.

starfish
Super Poster

Postby starfish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm

you dont want to be anywhere near them mud cliffs in weather like that
but good area shame about the weather

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:49 pm

That area of coast will become a no go area over the next few years.The cliffs are being wash away at an unbelievable rate and nothing will be done to stop it.When the tide has reached its maximum point you will be fishing on a gently sloping beach with big lumps of clay.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

dryfly

Postby dryfly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:34 pm

You are making me home sick.Moved down from east coast of scotland 18 months ago and these are the seas we look forward to. Always fished at low water near Arbroath. Last time I fished there was 2 years ago and had a bag of 6 cod up to 9lb. Not easy in these seas, especially if the kelp is running. However low tide was always best during and after a blow.

Nick

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:06 am

Thanks Nick I'll remember that for next time. We couldnt stay for the calming down unfortunately. Was exhilerating trying to fish in it though. :thumbsup: Have a good Christmas. :santa:
2017 species : Whiting :roll: rock salmon:roll: Flounder, shore crab, otterspool bigsnag, stiffback,soreneck, acheing bells :lol: What a beach of a year :doh:

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”